Are These Specs Good Enough To Run Train Sim 2021

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bird9762, Jun 3, 2021.

1. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

Please be honest, as I have wanted this for a while but wanna check, i dont wanna buy it then it dont work and then i wasted my money. are these specs good?

Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz
    8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)
    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

2. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Almost certainly not. You don’t mention any graphics card, which means you’re probably relying on integrated graphics, is that correct? If so, the processor indicates it would be very low end integrated graphics. (Edit: just looked it up, it’s Intel UHD Graphics 600, so would give you very poor performance)

Others will chime in for sure, but I’d suggest that it’s unlikely to be good enough, sorry. Unless you ran it very low resolution and with very low quality settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2021
  3. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

I play on a laptop.....I am not got enough money to get a goo =d gaming computer.

4. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

5. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

Which version do you think I should get?

6. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Specs for TS 2021 from Steam.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM FOR 32-BIT:
      • OS: 32-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported)
      • Processor: Intel Core-i3 4330 3.50 GHz Dual Core or AMD A8 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core or Better
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Graphics with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
      • DirectX®: 9.0c
      • Network: Broadband Connection (May incur additional costs for use)
      • Storage: 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)
      • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Audio Device
      • Additional Notes: Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller
      Laptop, Notebook, Mobile or Low Power versions of the above specifications (including Intel or Integrated Graphics) may work but are not supported. Updates to Chipset, Graphics and Audio Device Drivers may be required. For information relating to recommended specifications for Train Simulator 64-bit, please refer to the Train Simulator 2019 User Guide.

• RECOMMENDED FOR 32-BIT:
      • OS: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported)
      • Processor: Intel Core-i5 4690 3.50 GHz Quad Core or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.80 GHz Quad Core or Better
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM (maximum possible under 32-bit Windows)/16 GB or Better (For 64-bit Windows)
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 with 4 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
      • DirectX®: 9.0c
      • Network: Broadband Connection (May incur additional costs for use)
      • Storage: High Performance SSD Recommended with 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)
      • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Audio Device
      • Additional Notes: Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller
      Laptop, Notebook, Mobile or Low Power versions of the above specifications (including Intel or Integrated Graphics) may work but are not supported. Updates to Chipset, Graphics and Audio Device Drivers may be required. For information relating to recommended specifications for Train Simulator 64-bit, please refer to the Train Simulator 2019 User Guide.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If, as this suggests, you're thinking of an older version of Train Simulator I doubt very much that will help. Although it has been tinkered with (and the hardware requirements were updated a couple of years ago) the core program remains much the same- as you might expect since pretty much every DLC released for TS remains compatible with it. I've run TS on PCs that are below the recommended spec's and it can be playable but the struggles were evident and all the systems I tried it on would run rings around yours.

Do you have enough money to get a middling computer with some sort of GPU? If you look at the minimum recommended spec's quoted by Trev123 they're not that crazy (although that 4GB of RAM is stingy for any Windows machine these days). I got a second-hand 17" and i5 laptop with a basic Radeon GPU a few years ago for £200 which ran TS satisfactorily. I'd be using it now if it hadn't broken down.

8. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

Yeah, I don't wanna buy Train Sim for £25, it not work then I have just wasted that money.

9. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

Do you think TS2021 will work with my specs on low performance settings or will I need to get an older version with low performance settings?

10. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

If you want to fully enjoy what a train simulator brings, you should have at least some kind of an intermediate gaming rig.
    About the 1000€ range. Of course, the more, the merrier.
    I'm playing on a 6 year old PC and it's fine, it was relatively buff back then.
    Laptop or desktop is tough now, because due to crypto GPU prices are in the skies, so chances are you're overall the same with a laptop, although you'll want to spend about 2000€ to be absolutely happy.

By older train sim I guess they meant stuff like MSTS. But the graphics might shock you.

If you have access to an okay-ish PC, then you can play older routes which don't look great by today's standards, but are often packed with activities. But I'm talking aboug 2007-2012 stuff, mostly. You'd probably want to find an old RailWorks key, maybe TS 2013/2014, so that you get routes you can use.

On the other hand, you can get some old Trainz version if you fancy that. But again, not with that PC.

11. bird9762

bird9762 New Member

Yeah, I just don't want to waste my money on a game that does not work with my PC. I don't care that much if it lags a bit but I will care if it is unplayable. I will try download it and play with low performance settings.

12. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think you're stuck in the situation I was in a several years ago...

I used to have an old Toshiba laptop that managed Railworks... It wasn't great but manageable... Then the game changed to TS & it became so bad I gave up... Had several years out till I managed to get a gaming laptop...

Depends how desperate you are to play TS at the end of the day...

13. JJTimothy

I think you missed my point which was that the requirements and capabilities of TS haven't changed much for some years. Now developers can be fairly confident that users will have hardware that exceeds the basic requirements so new DLC can push TS's capabilities much closer to its limits.

TS will at least start on your machine but, even with the oldest routes and rolling stock, you would find it frustrating.

Well here's a link to somewhere selling keys for TS 2016 and 2015 for £3 (no experience with CDKeys- caveat emptor):
    https://www.cdkeys.com/train-simulator-2016-pc-steam

Even so I don't think this would be money well spent in your case.

14. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Almost certainly not. As it's a laptop, and you do not mention graphics, I'm assuming that it does not have a GPU and uses the integrated UHD600 graphics. With literally everything set to minimum, and assuming the screen resolution is low it will actually run it, but it will be a miserable experience I would imagine.

16. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

As with others, I had humble beginnings, specifically with a 2015 Dell Inspiron 15 3000, complete with a Intel Core i7 (can't remember much more than that), 4GB of RAM, a 1366x768 display, and a 512GB "SSD" (i put quotes because the HD ran as well as an HDD). No graphics card either since it's a medium-duty laptop that I would normally use for school.

I would often get around 15-25 fps on most routes, but with a catch, I achieved such performance by shutting off the dynamic lighting, sure it made some meh visuals but I liked the boost it gave, especially since I had both scenery density and quality to the max (which satisfied young me enough).
    [​IMG]
    20190919153317_1.jpg 20190919153310_1.jpg
    These are the only screenshots I could find from those days, as they're long gone now.
    It all changed Christmas 2019 when I received a substantial upgrade, a Lenovo L340 Gaming Edition laptop. Yeah it's a laptop, but it was chosen for mobility purposes really. It's not the beefiest of machines, but it does its job, and well I have to say.

So all in all, anything can run TS technically, you just have to tailor things the right way and lower your settings.

17. JJTimothy

Sounds about right. If you'd posted here asking if it was worth getting TS I'd've said yes but gone on to mention exactly the sort of compromises you had to make.

But...

That's Netbook/Chromebook territory. The two lowest spec' systems I ran TS on have 1.7GHz i3 and 2GHz AMD A4 (IIRC) processors both using integrated graphics. Both coped impressively with TS in that they worked at all and happily I got started with the Weardale and Teesdale route most of which involves pootling along often single track lines through open (easy to render) countryside. Busy locations slowed things down and the other TS2016 routes, except perhaps Sherman Hill which is entirely rural, were manifestly more demanding.

Those systems served to introduce me to TS, I'm glad I got to use them and if someone had one or other and wanted to try TS I'd say go for it but with considerable reservations- they were better than nothing but not really to be recommended.

You can go low on system spec's, I certainly have, but I fear the OP would be going a step too low.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

He's on a really low spec Celeron, and TS is CPU intensive, and is heavily single core biased, so single threaded performance is crucial. He won't even get close to the performance of your laptop, and you had to heavily compromise to get it running on yours. He's no chance. Your i7 would have also had more capable on board graphics most likely. The two systems are not comparable.