Are We Being Too Hard On Dtg?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Aug 17, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Poor old DTG they do come in for a bit of stick especially today and recently with regards to the forthcoming core update and Rush Hour. Do they deserve it?

On the one hand yes they certainly do because claiming things they can’t deliver on, putting out miss information about whatever. changing dates at the last minute, rushing out very expensive dlc’s not properly quality checked and often containing bugs, not finding a solution with regards to transferring progress from a PS4 to a PS5 before bringing out a PS5 version of TSW2, not making a dlc a bit cheaper for customers on limited capability older console etc, etc. It all adds up to proper incompetence in my book.

Yet! They have produced a quality rail sim game for PS console despite all the faults, they are supporting older PS4 consoles ( Although currently I don’t think they have a choice ) They do give things for free when the game or platform changes if you’ve already purchased it on older versions and in general seem an enthusiastic bunch, etc, etc.

So do they deserve all the flak they get? I’m going to be a liberal on this and fence sit because they do and they don’t in equal measure. What do you think? I guess the proof in the pudding is how long it takes the likes of me a casual gamer to get bored of it all and decide whether to stick around or move onto something else.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

In order to tighten up their practices, yes it is deserved.
    The image I carry of DTG is of a very enthusiastic team who love what they do but keep stumbling over themselves.

They need our support and encouragement and sharp words in equal measure, because we're all wanting them to succeed.

• Like Like x 9
  3. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

The bold is mine.

I fully agree with what you’re saying in your entire comment and especially this bolded part, but I think the purpose of this thread is that that’s not what they’re getting from us.

I wish them the best and am here to help, whether praise or constructive criticism, but only constructively as I’m well aware I don’t understand everything about game development and it’s limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

We (as the whole community) are sometimes hard on DTG and they keep asking us to give them feedback so they can improve. They do get a lot of unfair criticism at times and some people will always be louder and more frequent with their desire to get a dig in, and others are more balanced in their comments and complaints. There are lots of little things to get annoyed about when you just want a good game or sim that works properly and it isn’t always happening but there are people who think that DTG go about everything badly. The thing is they don’t. There are errors, bugs, mixups and communication fails but at the end of the day they do produce a good product.

There are also a lot of things that could be improved and as we know that’s a very long list. And it can be a totally different list for different players. We can’t expect too much of them at any one time but lately a lot of little things and a few big disappointments have led to another wave of bad feedback. Things will settle down again and soon we’ll be back to reporting bugs and pointing out little things that are wrong instead of wondering about what on earth is going on with updates and such and feeling that everything is a bit of a mess. I get the feeling despite it all, people are still excited for the upgrades and the new routes, as they should be.

TSW is one of my main interests now and I’ve been along for the ride for two years or so. In many ways it’s better now than it’s ever been. I have a better understanding of how this works, what DTG are trying to achieve and what to expect from the content. There is a lot more community involvement and engagement now and despite some longstanding issues the content is improving with time. Some things do wind me up but mainly things eventually work out okay. There are bits of content from the first TSW2 release that I still can’t play because they are broken and there are broken services and scenarios in nearly every DLC but I’ve found there is far more that does work than doesn’t and I just get the enjoyment out of what does and hope if I wait long enough, fixes will come for the rest. I’ll tell DTG when I’m really unhappy with something or I think something is daft.

There’s a lot of waiting for fixes for routes and trains and that can be infuriating and the bugs are one of the biggest causes of complaint. All players find that out and the only thing you can do is report the issues and hope for the best. Voicing your opinion if you think that they aren’t doing enough is also good, they need to hear it. If you think something needs saying, say it. Most people don’t go too far with what they say and fair criticism is always beneficial.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

Feedback should always be welcomed, positive and negative. However there are ways to put across annoyance, disdain, confusion and other negative emotions without launching into personal attacks or verbal tirades regarding DTG staff.
    At least DTG can see their fan base is passionate about Train Sim world and they want the game to succeed and are upset when things don't go to plan, however its not an excuse for a minority to crop up and threaten boycotts or other daft ideas, when nearly all of these people carry on playing as soon as the problems are fixed.
    I imagine as well there are things DTG aren't allowed to tell us about. Problems going on behind the scenes that then have a knock on effect on us. It probably does bother them, and they know it sucks, they just aren't allowed to come out and say "Yeah I agree with you all, the company who pays my salary sucks right now".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Tell us when you're happy, tell us when you're unhappy. Keep it constructive and all feedback is good, appreciated, feedback.

• Like Like x 11
  7. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

-I want like when you adding the Dresden Branches back to a later Date.
    -We need more Third Party Content and they Can make there own prices.
    -Better sound Improvement for Locos and Coaches.
    -Longer Routes like 150 to 200 kilometer.
    -More new trains and not recycled stuff only.

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think the feedback on the forums is generally constructive, whether it's positive or negative. As an example, a good deal of the response to Boston Sprinter has been to point out errors and omissions which, in some cases, really detract from the route's enjoyment. Many posters have been very critical. So, you could say the feedback has been negative. But in a sense it's also positive because it will lead to problems being fixed and a better playing experience.

Issues like the Dresden debacle, the communication miscues and the actual forgetting to include some features by the development teams are serious problems for which DTG should be held accountable and they have been. But we should gratefully and graciously accept their "mea-culpas" for those errors. Everyone makes mistakes.

What I don't like and what I would like to see eliminated are the angry posts, particularly those that contain unpleasant language and hostility towards DTG employees. Words such as " liar " or "lying", for example, do not belong here. I'm embarrassed when I read them in the forum. You know who you are. Dissatisfaction, annoyance and frustration are fine, anger is out of place. If you want to vent your spleen, do it elsewhere.

So, let's continue to be critical or express approval where appropriate. No need to throw verbal insults (or cream puffs either for that matter). Give DTG a hard time if you wish, but be civil and measured about it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I think a part reason for some more emotive posts is the sense that constructive criticism gets 'heard' but with time gaps of a year or more with no progress on some issues, there is very little trust that feedback is truly being acted upon.

Unfortunately of course there will always be those who just get emotive for the sake of it as well.

10. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

We live in the age of age of the entitled gamer, where developers must produce exactly what those gamers want or they fall short and should just do unmentionable things to themselves.

For the last 2 years, TSW2020/TSW2 has been my most played game on Playstation. I highly expect it to be 3 in a row. I think DTG are doing alright.

• Like Like x 5
  11. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

This ^^^

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I can be very critical, but I also give praise where praise is due. I do get very frustrated at times, but that’s because I see the potential of TSW and want it to be the best in can be. When being critical I avoid making things personal or a direct attack on any single person.

I have attacked the upper management ’bean counters’ at DTG as some decisions seem to be based on an inflexible release schedule (even though the schedule can be flexible when they need it to be), but truth be told, I have no idea how DTG operates so these attacks aren’t even justified.

• Like Like x 3
  13. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

Too hard ? No, not after reading the latest response to one of my tickets. I have never requested something high-sophisticated nor complex systems to work. Basically i am happy when i can move a train casually from A to B.
    But:
    i want a headlight which illuminates the rail in front of the train
    i would like to have my instruments light working
    i want an engine sound which does not drives one crazy.
    Is this too much ??????????????????

To be positive. I appreciate all the fixes and updated to certain routes. There are fixes where i havent even noticed that there is something to fix. Finally i do not like the lack of transparency. A basic feature of a train shall not be subject to a democratic decission if a fix will be applied. This does not drive quality upwards.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021