Are You Interested In Dutch Routes? Why Or Why Not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jolojonasgames, Apr 21, 2021.

?
  1. I am interested in Dutch routes

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I am not interested in Dutch routes

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    As many will already know, I'm an advocate for Dutch routes. However one question keeps popping up: "how can we get more people interested in Dutch routes". To answer this question I'd like to know what about you current image of Dutch routes makes you like or dislike the idea of them. The answers to this could help me and other forum users select routes that contain the gameplay that people like, while avoiding the aspects that might push people away from Dutch routes. Thanks in advance for answering :).

Are you already interested in Dutch routes? Here are some suggestions you can check out and support!

Enschede - Amersfoort

by me

Amsterdam/Schiphol - Amersfoort/Lelystad
    by Purno

Amsterdam - Arnhem
    by creeperblox2710

Venlo - Eindhoven
    by creeperblox2710

Amersfoort - Zwolle
    by carlingamesnl

2. jolojonasgames

Just to throw my personal opinion in here to start off:

I like Dutch routes because I'm from the Netherlands myself, however many more things make me actually want to play them.
    • Unique safety and signalling systems (not too unfamiliar compared to those in game currently, but definetely not the same)
    • Unique rolling stock like the ICMm and VIRM being the most iconic ones (pictured below :))
    • High frequency of services, in the Netherlands most parts of the main railway network (hoofdrailnet) see two or more Intercities per hour, with just as much if not more stopping 'Sprinter' services.
    • Unique operations, because the railway network is densely packed with trains unique ways of operating are used to fit all these trains on the network and make them run on time. This includes things like having two trains at the same platform at the same time.
    • The iconic NS Yellow/Blue paint scheme
    [​IMG]
    VIRM

[​IMG]
    ICM

3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I would love to see a historic Dutch route, may one of the awesome museum lines, or a regional line, e.g Zuthpen - Witerswijk-Arnhem, something like that. Or the long promised route from Leeuwarden to Stavoren, which never made it to the community for TS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

I really want a Dutch Route, especially with the VIRM and ICM. Don't mind where, but I've watched a lot of the cab rides on youtube and anywhere through Amsterdam would be good

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

I was actually thinking about making a suggestion for a historical Dutch route.

I was thinking of something like Rotterdam - Breda/Roosendaal in the '60s, because it would include the now demolished "luchtspoor" and the moerdijkbrug (moerdijkbridge), and could see both the streamlined EMUs (mat '36, '40 and '46), the hondekop (mat '54), and benelux services with the Benelux-hondekop (mat '57). In addition to that it could see loco-hauled services with something like the NS 1300 (my favourite loco from NS) with Plan D 'Bolkop' coaches.

Holding of on that one until after may 4th though, because I want to know if Rush Hour comes with any Dutch routes.

6. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I'm just not interested in dutch railways.

7. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

No me neither, British is my love, I don't mind American, but European routes don't really interest me mainly because I would have to spend the next 3 years learning the signalling system.

I was watching the DB BR 101 stream to see if it interested me & all those safety systems put me off.

8. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

Well, luckily Dutch safety systems are very intuitive :D
    There is some variation with different ATB systems, but simply put, you don't really have to acknowledge anything, other than of course the dead man's pedal, like in most (semi) modern trains.
    And the on-route safety systems are all variations of ATB, of which ATB NG (new generation) is a little bit comparable to the German LZB, just without the self correcting cruise control like in ICE's. Think the LZB part for DB BR 423 on München-Augsburg.
    ATB NG.jpg

ATB EG (first generation) is basically a limiter on either 40, 60, 80, 130 and 140km/h.
    Which can be signaled either on the speedometer itself with a moving needle, or somewhere else, like on the diagnostic screen, or in a box on the side.
    The buttons underneath are only to activate or deactivate ATB at the beginning and end of your service as I understand it.
    VIRM ATB.jpg ATB.jpg

The roadway signaling is always clear, there's no guessing what the speed limit is, or is going to be, or when exactly the next station is going to pop up, as it's all clearly indicated by roadside signs.

All in all, I think Dutch signaling is probably one of, if not, the best signaling out there, and nothing you're going to have to be afraid of whatsoever.

I hope I gave you enough information, but as someone who's still applying for the position of train driver in the Netherlands (although with little luck so far), feel free to ask me anything I might be able to help answer you :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. cyrill.kroonstuiver

I forgot to add
    There are also in-cab alarms to signal:
    -one bell = you're entering a new block with possible new limits
    -long continuous bell alarm = you're over speeding (more than 3km/h over the given ATB restriction), or not braking fast enough to reach the next lower ATB restriction speed limitation on time.
    -three short bells = after braking, you've arrived at the current/new ATB speed restriction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jolojonasgames

The only problem is there is no red signal protection, you cab pass them at 40 km/h, which is quite dangerous. There are also issues with ATB signals not being picked up in rusty track, which increases maintenance costs. Also blinking green and yellow signals with speed limits aren't fully intuitive in my opinion. Outside of that, it is quite intuitive and provides the driver with a lot of continously updated info, though due to the issues I mentioned above, ETCS is a better system. Very good explaination by the way!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘m definitely interested. It is Train Sim ‘World‘, so the more countries represented the better. Whether that would translate into a purchase or not, is a separate question. If it was a line I‘ve been on then, Yes, probably. Otherwise probably not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cyrill.kroonstuiver

True for ATB-EG. However, ATB-NG, which works similarly to LZB in Germany does protect against SPAD's, not specifically by emergency braking on passing a red signal, but by guarding the braking curve, knowing the distance to the next beacon, and if that's red, guiding to 0 towards it, making driving over 0km/h speeding at the point of arrival at that red signal.
    The biggest flaw here being that ATB works by measuring distance by the amount of rotations the wheels make, so if there's wheelspin or lock, you may end up confusing the current ATB setting.
    Also, unfortunately, ATB-NG is present on relatively few lines currently.
    Curiously, only on non-electrified lines as it seems.
    Here's a map.
    ATB regeling.png

Well, maybe not fully, but they're still quite simple and definitely don't require an extensive explanation like PZB might.

Flashing green (without number): pass this signal with at most 40km/h

Flashing yellow (without number): pass with at most 40km/h and proceed at a speed as to be able to come to a complete standstill at any possible moment from here on out before the next signal. (used for when there's danger on the track ahead, or when you may need to couple onto formation for example), basically, be prepared to be able to stop at any point immediately from this signal onwards, until a new signal tells you to do otherwise.

13. cyrill.kroonstuiver

Also, ATB-Vv, although it doesn't prevent SPAD's, it does show it.
    And besides, although I'd wish DTG at least made it optional, now one is going to need to worry about accidently SPAD'ing on TSW2 cause your service will end anyway :)

14. jolojonasgames

I believe that is because they got safety systems way later, being secondary lines, while the electrified mainlines got ATBeg early on. The line from Almelo to Zwolle, and Zwolle to Kampen has also been electrified now, being the only electrified lines with ATBng as far as I know.

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in Dutch routes because of how NS can manage Express local trains on a two track line. One of my suggestions it's actually a Dutch route running all the way from Arnhem towards Duisburg via Oberhausen & Emmerich. That's the Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway my suggestion which should link the Dutch routes being proposed and existing German Network in the Ruhr Valley

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  16. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

I love Dutch railways, And 100% back Dutch routes XXXX I spent a week in the mid 1990s at Best running up and down the network, and have been for weekends since on the ferry from South Shields to Ijmuiden. Fantastic country!!!

17. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I'm just happy when I have a new signal system to learn.....

However because it is a tiny country I'd rather see a combo of Belgium and Netherlands together. That'd be fun to do! Oooh or do the whole Liège/Maastricht(sp?)/Aachen triangle!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Well said and for acknowledging ATB is there a voice for it. LZB/PZB has Zugsbeeinflussung

19. jolojonasgames

ATB needs no aknowledging. For indicating you're above the required speed, or that the speed limit has changed, etc. there are bells and gongs.

• Like Like x 1