Arosa Line, Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nberneck99, Jun 25, 2022.

1. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I remember there being physics issues with the train jumping when you applied the throttle on arosa, has this been remedied? I an trying to see if its worth getting.

2. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

It might have been, i don't recall having that issue.... BUT.........

i got the RhB arosa line a few months ago when it was in a sale and going for next to nothing, i drove it both ways once, and have never bothered with it since.

For me i found that traveling at a max speed of 33 kph was sooooo boring, yes i know that speed limit is needed due to the gradients and tight curves of a mountain line,
    but i found i just put the control wheel to the setting for the posted speed limit, and it was like watching a movie for the rest of the time, the train holding the set speed perfectly (it's supposed to, AFB type thing going on)

I guess i could have tried driving without using the speed hold function and manually braking etc, but TBH the scenery was a bit lame,
    i spent months touring switzerland in a camper van years ago, often parking up for a few days and nights at the rail stations to watch the trains going by,
    So was really looking forwards to sorta re-living this, but the scenery really did not do anything for me. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

It's very difficult to enjoy indeed.
    Despite its scenery it also suffers from severe sound issues (the coaches still sound like shopping carts permanently crashing together) and the physics are... well.

The positives are the nice looking 3D models of the rolling stock and the interaction with traffic in Chur, something which makes it unique.

But still it's unfortunately among the worst DLC available for TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Theres an extremely minor lurch forward which you have to be looking for to notice IMO.

Despite what the naysayers above say I enjoy the route and its definitely not the worst in my collection, that award goes to the Canadian route.

Although personally Id wait for a bigger discount then what is being offered currently, if you can pick it up for less than a tenner its a bargain.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to disagree with the comments above, it is far from the best DLC and at the time of release, I would have said it was definitely the worst and I was incredibly disappointed with it. But I will give an alternative perspective. I enjoy playing it now, but under very specific circumstances. Firstly the mountain scenery is not very good, but turn up the snow and it changes and is quite atmospheric. Secondly I play it going downhill, It is a real challenge. Uphill is pretty boring though.

Overall the Loco and Station models are good. The loco physics are better than at launch but you can still get a very slight jump, but for me this only occurs if the brake is completely off when I apply the throttle.

If you don't like slow running and you enjoy the scenery more than or as much as the driving then I would not get it. If you fancy a bit of a challenge driving downhill, then consider it. I would definitely only buy it in a sale though. There is also a Christmas themed scenario / livery pack. This was actually pretty enjoyable, but again at a sale price.

I'm not a big fan of Rivets way of operating. The fixes they made improved the DLC a lot (particularly the timetable) but they took far too long to address the bugs and I doubt we'll see anymore fixes anytime soon, if ever.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

For me it's worth it!
    The update did it better, but the add-on is a bit poor. With the observation car there are also some scenarios with mixed freight. But that sums it all up very well. I also like the atmosphere at dusk and in different weather. So I can dive into it quite well.

However - it is a route to slow down! If you're looking for action here, you've come to the wrong place. I like these routes and unlike WSR and IOW it has even more to offer in that way. COD is practically the freight counterpart to it.

So if I want to come down, I go to Arosa :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well I had a toss up between this and the NZ route for TSC. The NZ route won, though the supplementary Ja steam loco isn’t in the sale, still worth having.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I got this recently, not during a sale. Do you like Switzerland, good track scenery, viaducts and stuff, steep grades, narrow gauge, street running route. As always the train model is really good. It's challenging especially going downward but not that much.

Distant scenery isn't the best. Sounds are meh cuz of the passenger carriage sounds and some services can't be completed. It still jumps forward when you apply power. Get it on sale cuz it'll be more worth it. If the mentioned issues bother you a lot, don't get it

9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Arosa is developed by Rivet. I won’t buy another Rivet route until they improve WCL, IoW and Arosa. Won’t stop me buying one of their locomotives though.

However Arosa is in the sale, so it’s more acceptable value at present. However it is only 45% discount and has been 50% before now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

No Rivet route is worth it,
    Without a heavy discount

• Like Like x 6
  11. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Arosaline is my chill-out route when I´m in the mood. Not the worse, not the best. But it has its charme.
    Got in on EoY Sales. No regrets.

• Like Like x 2
  12. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I do not recommend buying it. Physics are still wonky and Rivet doesn't deserve a penny for how they treat their customers.

• Like Like x 8
  13. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of apathy for Rivet among the TS community, even in their own forums, that Rivet seem to ignore. Jasper recently admitted they are doing nothing to work on their products to correct the flaws. It’s almost as if they don’t care.

If Rivet was my company, I’d be doing my best to make customers happy. Perhaps they are and haven’t got the ability to make amends!!!

• Like Like x 4
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Same for me, i also do runs on IOW when i just look for a quiet ambiente.
    Not to forget Rivet is the only dev making routes outside the common 3 countries, and they have probably the best experience in swiss signalling also because their other ts products.

Arosa is a good choice, the weakest point is the mountain scenery in the distance, but when turning on snow, it looks way better.

• Like Like x 3
  15. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

Let's not forget the sounds ;)....

16. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

It is impossible to forgot rivet’s sounds. Haha

17. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

In the snow, with a significant discount on the original price, if you forgive the wonky physics, then yes it's worth.

18. OldVern

I was almost tempted just now, but no after reading the above again I don't think 45% is enough of a discount. Maybe if it dropped under a tenner (£10) then possibly...

19. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Sadly the scenery destroys the immersion.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

I bought this line the day it released. I waited for a Swiss route from day one of TSW and was amazed that it finally found it’s way.
    To be honest, there are three big points that make the route ‘uninteresting’ for me; those are:
    3. sound of wagons; like shopping carts
    2. the scenery; imagine this route with mountains like in the training center!
    1. The route itself. It is realistic, but the problem is (as someone mentioned above) that it is unbelievable uninteresting to drive, since the maximum speed is 35kph! I also bought this line in TS classic a few years ago, and also didn’t like it because of the speeds.

Tbh the last problem is also the reason I’m not driving on the route really often. The sounds is a part for themselves, the scenery can be turned into the background by simply using rainy weather… But the speeds? I recently bought Surselva line and the Abula line for TS classic and I really love them although the scenery and sounds are a bit weak! But due to the interesting speed limits I really like them; and since I just saw the RhB routes irl again I started driving them; and now I’m really tempted to buy a few more routes for TS classic…

To conclude: The route itself is the problem. The train is amazing, the sounds of the wagons are a bit weak (you’ll get used to it) and the scenery is a bit of a problem… But especially with the addition pack for this route it’s actually quite interesting to drive on it; but not for an hour. I got really sad as I saw that Rivetgames went for another British route on the roadmap, as I hoped for another RhB route with the new mountains, upgraded locos and maybe the Surselva line; would be a day purchase for me for sure! But for me I’ll just drive the RhB routes in TS classic with the bad graphics instead of the Arosa line with the really good graphics; although that’s a shame…
    In my opinion a 6.5/10 route (but only because of the route itself; regarding the quality a 8/10)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. redrev1917

Somehow I ended up with Arosa on TSW2 Epic version whilst everything is on steam. There was no way I was buying TSW3 on Epic and quite frankly I really wanted to close down my Epic account but I didnt want to lose Arosa.

So for me it was an easy decision to buy at 45% and also pick up the anniversary pack as well.

The additional timetable on the Anniversary pack with the freight services as definitely added something to the route and Im enjoying this aspect.

22. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree with both these posts. Along with West Corny Local, Arosa is still unfortunately among the worst DLCs available for TSW and not worth even a 45% discount. Wait until Black Friday or Christmas you may be able to get it for under a tenner.

I cringed when I heard Rivet were doing another route. They are extremely poor at Route creation and should stick to locomotives. Any route they issue, should be fictional as they are unable to make it look realistic.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I cant share your opinion. Maybe rivets routes are a bit too much comic style when it comes to colour, but overall the routes are done well. Arosa beside the distant mountains, looks really good and it made very accurate.

Sursee luzern is done very nice too & same with iow2022.
    Happy to see more content from rivet.

Only downside the way too long time until bug gets adressed. My flirt and 484 are still driving without a.i driver, which is a huge immersion braker. Mastery scenery still cant get activated in iow2022..

• Like Like x 3
  24. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have been on the WCL millions of times and it is nothing like the real scenery, however they made a better than average effort with the stations, but missed out so many well known scenic elements. The new Island Line is a better effort than their first and Sursee Luzern looks decent but I doubt whether they are realistic in terms of the scenery for the region.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  25. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Even locomotives are hit or miss. The 204, 38 stock and 150 are examples

26. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

for Rivets trains:
    their 3D-models and the liveries are really nice, but sadly, the physics and sounds are a big miss.
    On Arosa the coaches sound like shopping trollies, the Flirt does not sound like the real deal, and the physics are also totally wrong.
    Rivet got much better on the scenery for their routes, so now, I hope they can also get better in physics and sounds.

27. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's a nice route, not as boring as some people suggest. There also are shunting/run round activities and the RhB liveries pack has some nice freight services with shunting on a 6% grade which is not completely trivial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. OldVern

I can see there's potential if you close your eyes to the glaring issues, but compared to spending the same money on Harlem, HSC or any of the other routes missing from my collection (assuming these get a discount in the November or Christmas sales) I am just skeptical. It probably needs to go down to a "blowout" price as happened with Sherman Hill and Oakville for me to snap it up, likewise for that matter WCL.

29. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

It's not just the sound of the cars that is off: there is literally no sound besides the train. So if you are on a station without a train nearby, there is absolutey silence.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. redrev1917

This is the only route where I've ever heard the AI sound the horn, well whistle on this occasion.

That's what's so frustrating about Rivet they add some amazing features not covered by DTG but then they fail at some of the basic requirements.

• Like Like x 3
  31. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I got it on a discount, drove it once, and will never again. It's absurdly ugly. The scenery is an embarrassment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

I got it and really enjoyed it. If you play it in the snow the scenery issues aren't so obvious. You can run mixed trains and there is a sense of doing a real driving shift which you don't get on many routes.