Arun Valley Line: Bustling And Picturesque (plenty Of Pictures And Detail For Reference!)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cloudyskies21, Dec 7, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

71.4%
  2. No

21.4%
  3. Have not decided...

7.1%
  1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Today, I am making a suggestion for the Arun Valley Line. I believe this would complement existing Southern routes already available in TSW 2 (see below), plus using both existing and potential new DLC opportunities, would add to a really immersive network. Plus, it’s a relatively busy route with absolutely stunning scenery.

IMG_20211109_133253.jpg
    Seen from a pedestrian footbridge south of Horsham, this Class 377 heads northbound to London Victoria and will eventually attach to another service before continuing on its journey. ALL PICTURES TAKEN BY ME.

Here I’ll explain the exact route which I recommend should be created:

One end of the route would start at Three Bridges (on the Brighton Mainline, and part of the London Commuter route in TSW 2), while the other end has multiple end points, which comprise either Bognor Regis, Barnham or Littlehampton (while these are technically on the West Coastway Line, they make a logical endpoint just shortly down the line; I’ll explain why below).

Length = 37 miles (60km)increases to 39 miles if the branch to Littlehampton is included.

Thus, the Arun Valley provides a link in between for services to/from London (Brighton Mainline) to the South Coast of England (joining onto the West Coastway – this in particular gives opportunity for this route to be created separately in whole later on).

IMG_20211109_105343.jpg
    An overview of Horsham station, an important point on the Arun Valley Line in which trains divide, attach, terminate and are stabled in sidings.

STATIONS

- Three Bridges (technically on Brighton Mainline before immediately diverging to form the Arun Valley Line)

- Crawley

IMG_20211204_135157.jpg
    The London-bound Platform 1 side at Crawley Station.

- Ifield

- Faygate

- Littlehaven

- Horsham (an important station of the route where trains divide, terminate and are stabled in sidings)

- Christ's Hospital

- Billingshurst

- Pulborough

IMG_20211127_121914.jpg
    Pictured at a picturesque Pulborough Station, this 8-coach service originating from Bognor departs to Victoria with 377/150 at the rear. Pulborough sees trains stop every half-hour in both directions from Bognor-originating services – fast services to/from Portsmouth and/or Southampton pass though at high-speed – also at every 30-minute intervals.

- Amberley

- Arundel

- Ford (from here and listed onwards below, these are technically West Coastway Line stations as the Arun Valley Line has now converged onto it)

- Barnham (player-operated services would start/end here for services from/to Portsmouth or Southampton)

- Bognor Regis (a one station branch line that is the terminus for Bognor Regis-bound services)

- Littlehampton (a one-station branch line that turns off near Ford; while no Arun Valley Line services go here, it provides a nice little opportunity for bonus services using the Class 313 DLC, especially on the shuttle to Bognor Regis – see detail below)

IMG_20210724_180458.jpg
    A Class 313 at Littlehampton; those with this DLC would have extra driveable services on the shuttle to Bognor Regis.

More info to follow below...

• Like Like x 2
  2. cloudyskies21

ROLLING STOCK:

- Southern Class 377: The bulk of standard services consist of the /1s and /4s - these operate as 4-, 8- and 12-car formations to/from London to the South Coast. If the five-car /6s and/or /7s were ever DLC in any other London Metro-based routes, these would be seen as AI at Horsham. Additionally, if the 377/2 was ever created – these are equipped with pantographs (used for Milton Keynes services from London) – on some occasions, it’s not uncommon to see a /2 joined to the /1 and or /4s on Arun Valley services.

IMG_20211106_101344.jpg
    5-car 377/602 is seen at Horsham. These units are used on Southern’s Metro services which terminate here from London Victoria via Dorking.

- Southern Class 313: – DLC opportunity for those who own it to be used on the short West Coastway shuttle services from Bognor to both Barnham and Littlehampton – plus any relevant AI traffic on the West Coastway to/from Brighton.

- Thameslink Class 700: - These would be driveable between Three Bridges and Horsham (plus on London Commuter too).

IMG_20210904_170503.jpg
    A Thameslink Class 700 from Peterborough to Horsham at Crawley.

- Southern Class 455: If ever released as a DLC for London Commuter, this could be used as both AI traffic at Horsham, along with depot moves here.

IMG_20211120_122609.jpg
    The Class 455 (just to be clear, this is pictured at Clapham Junction), if DTG ever made this DLC for other routes, could be seen at Horsham as both AI and driveable as depot moves.

- British Rail MPV (Multiple-purpose vehicle) – Based at Horsham, used for track cleaning and provides some interesting drives to anything we’ve ever seen before on TSW 2.

IMG_20211127_151640.jpg
    Track-cleaning British Rail MPVs (Multiple-purpose vehicles) are based at Horsham and provides an interesting DLC opportunity. Pictured here from a Class 377 after departing Horsham to the north.

- Any BR Blue rolling stock: Can be used for rail tours.

- Class 66: Any maintenance or related moves.

More info to follow below...

• Like Like x 1
  3. cloudyskies21

PLAYER-DRIVEABLE SERVICE PATTERNS

Just to be clear, I will list the full routes below, before going into detail on each.

Southern

- London Victoria to Portsmouth and Bognor Regis (driveable between Three Bridges and Barnham – splits/attaches at Horsham) – Operated by Southern Class 377/1s and 4s

- London Victoria to Southampton and Bognor Regis (driveable between Three Bridges and Barnham – splits/attaches at Horsham) – Operated by Southern Class 377/1s and /4s

These two sets of services above split (southbound) and attach (northbound) at Horsham depending on the direction.

Typically, throughout the day, Victoria to Portsmouth and Victoria to Southampton and vice versa each run hourly, thus there are two trains an hour when both are running. In general, each of these services typically has a portion of the train that heads to Bognor Regis (hence why the divide and attachment takes place at Horsham).

These trains normally consist of 8- or 12-car formations. As a whole, they generally call at just Crawley before going fast to Horsham. Then, the front 4 coaches, once split at Horsham, will run fast along the rest of the Arun Valley Line before making their first stop at Barnham and eventually continuing on to either Portsmouth or Southampton.

Meanwhile, the remainder portion of the split train at Horsham (consisting of either 4 or 8 coaches), calls at all stations on the route i.e. from Christ’s Hospital until Bognor.

Thus, this gives variation to the Southern services which would be available thanks to a mix of fast or slow stopping patterns. The same patterns as described above occur for services heading to London Victoria, except the trains attach at Horsham. The slower, stopping service originating from Bognor will call at all stations on the Arun Valley Line first, meanwhile the fast portion from Portsmouth or Southampton eventually catches up and joins to the rear at Horsham just mere minutes later by the time its gets to there – thus you have your 8- or 12-coach service to London Victoria.

IMG_20210628_170904.jpg
    Class 377/147 forms parts of a 12-car service departing Crawley on a London Victoria-bound service.

- Bognor Regis to Barnham (fully driveable) – Operated by Southern Class 313s

- Bognor Regis to Littlehampton (fully driveable) – Operated by Southern Class 313s

Okay, just to be clear, these are not on the Arun Valley Line, but on the West Coastway. These very short services (around 10 and 20 minutes respectively in duration), offer a real decent opportunity for those who own the Class 313 DLC to have these as extras. With Bognor a key destination for Arun Valley services, it’s logical for these to be included to increase playability and interest.

Thameslink

- Horsham to Peterborough (driveable between Horsham and Three Bridges) – Operated by 12-coach Thameslink Class 700s

While these services will generally be quite short (around 20 minutes), they add a lot of variation. For example, they operate a stopping service to all stations between Three Bridges and Horsham (although Faygate is served mainly during peak times).

IMG_20211106_101148.jpg
    The NHS-themed Thameslink Class 700/111 which has terminated at Horsham, as seen from the southern end of the station.

Depot Moves

- Horsham: This station features both a large yard and sidings which provide many depot and empty stock moves for both Southern and Thameslink rolling stock.

- Three Bridges: Home to one of the Thameslink depots, plenty of related moves here, plus several Southern Class 377s are stabled around the station in sidings.

Miscellaneous Moves

- Network Rail has several British Rail MPVs (Multiple-purpose vehicle) – see picture in rolling stock section – based in the yards at Horsham. These diesels are used for track cleaning and can provide interesting moves up and down the entirety of the Arun Valley Line, plus as a DLC on other UK routes.

- Rail Tours: A plethora of existing BR Blue diesels will be suited to such services in the picturesque setting of the South Downs. In real-life, the Pullman Train passes through the Arun Valley Line occasionally (I last saw one in person pass through Pulborough Station in late-November 2021 from London to the South Coast.)

IMG_20211204_192031.jpg
    The eye-catching Thameslink Class 700/155 departs Crawley bound for Three Bridges.

AI TRAFFIC SERVICE PATTERNS ONLY

To provide a more realistic setting, several of the stations along the route would see AI traffic. These comprise:

- Horsham: Southern Metro services that originate from London Victoria via Dorking terminate here. In real-life, these are operated mostly by 377/6s and /7s, although the Class 455 makes a rarer appearance (I saw one there in late-November 2021). These services, which can in-game be operated by Class 377/1s and 4s as per London Commuter – unless any of the former are created at some point, they may generate depot moves to sidings around Horsham.

- Three Bridges: Southern 377s, GX 387s and Thameslink Class 700s would provide as AI traffic on the Brighton Mainline – also providing depot moves (explained in previous section).

- Ford/Barnham/Littlehampton: These stations would all see AI traffic traversing the West Coastway Line from Brighton, Portsmouth and Southampton etc (just to add, Littlehampton has its own London Victoria service, although operates via the West Coastway – what you eventually see on London Commuter)

PLACES OF INTEREST (SCENERY):

The scenery set in the South East of England features some of the most stunning countryside views in the UK thanks, in particular, to the South Downs (a series of rolling Chalk Hills).

The most prominent landmark on the Arun Valley Line is Arundel Castle. It can be clearly seen from the track (pictured) and provides a nice backdrop to admire as you drive past.

IMG_20211106_104911.jpg
    The absolutely stunning and historic Arundel Castle – which has history dating back almost a 1000 years – as seen from a Class 377 to the north of Arundel Station.

Also featured prominently along the route is the River Arun which provides a lovely country landscape; this waterway starts in the Horsham area before entering the English Channel around Littlehampton, thus follows the Arun Valley Line closely.

IMG_20211127_143904.jpg
    Beautiful scenery found on the Arun Valley route which includes, as seen here, the River Arun which begins near Horsham and enters into the English Channel near Littlehampton.

Before anyone moans that this is another SE England third-rail route, hear me out. With the rolling stock and some stations and services already created via the London Commuter route, plus with a plethora of DLC opportunities, it seems logical to create, thus making a wider immersive network. Also, I think most agree that London Commuter and East Coastway are one of the best-made routes, so there is a good chance this might be too!

Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and if this were to be merged with BML at Horsham you simply walk to the front then drive the combined BML AVL train to London Victoria via Gatwick Airport. Reverse is split the AVL train from BML at Horsham

• Like Like x 1
  5. aaronbrall#7894

aaronbrall#7894 Active Member

Taken this line a few times when the BML has been closed for repairs or renovations and had to travel up to Gatwick or London, but in terms of TSW, its way too long to be a branch line, but also because the fact 50% of the route is identical to the BML, at full price it would be unfair, or if you buy this instead of BML, the same issue will be present. Maybe a couple of years in the future but for now I'd like to see them move away from Sussex and Kent, and focus a bit on the Midlands and the North

• Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

I understand your view, and that's a fair point. And while I definitely believe that new content is the most important priority by far to keep the game fresh - I'd strongly welcome any modern UK routes in the Midlands, North or Scotland etc. But, I feel at the same time they need to strike a balance too in adding content that links with existing routes and DLC rolling stock for both an immersive network and that it provides more layers and variety in Modern UK routes we already have.

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Might be nice but with a different (older) era of rolling stock. I really think UK third rail routes with Electrostars have been cooked to a crisp in the game and I'm unlikely to buy another unless we can get back to CIGs, VEPs, HAPs, EPBs etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Even older a 1920s era 402 HAL and 403 BEL. If Arun Valley Line was made with 402 HAL 403 BEL this will affect the present day versions by becoming rail tours

• Like Like x 1
  9. cloudyskies21

Older rolling stock is an interesting idea. I wonder, if the route was ever made and if it was modern, could DTG do what they did on Great Western and have a separate timetable for a historic setting with some new vintage DLC rolling stock? Then I think everyone would be happy regarding their favourite eras. Just an idea.

10. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the desire for earlier EMU classes as they were entirely different from todays Electrostars etc. As for the Class 403 5BEL, there is the original condition as well as the example that is currently being rebuilt to todays standards by the 5BEL Trust.

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound rude, but judging from the pictures, the landscape doesn't seem that different from what we've already have in game. I don't see much special about it...

• Like Like x 2
  12. cloudyskies21

I'm not really sure what you were expecting to see different? Being SE England, of course it is going to have the same geographic characteristics as other routes set in the same region.

My focus on this suggestion is towards the gameplay variety itself and potential link-up with other existing TSW 2 routes to offer a more immersive experience for the player. It just so happens the route, which I'm very familiar with in real-life, has some nice scenery, and that it should be pointed out - after all, a suggestion is suppose to present the positives from a route.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021