Atsf Chillicothe Subdivision: Chicago To Fort Madison, Iowa

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by itstypicalrailfanner16, Jul 16, 2022.

1. itstypicalrailfanner16

itstypicalrailfanner16 Active Member

One of the most legendary ATSF routes of the 1990s has to be the ATSF Chillicothe Sub. 234 miles from Chicago to Fort Madison in Iowa. There are a lot of really cool things that I us ATSF fans would be drooling over. The Dash 8s, The GP60s and GP60Ms, The SD40-2s and GP20s. How about Amtrak Dash 8s and Genesis locos? And even SPSF era locos. And not just the locos. The sights are the best part. This route offers:

A 1968 building built by the ATSF which housed an Amtrak Station and Santa Fe Offices. It was also a crew change point with trains stopping to switch engineers and conductors. It's a really great location.

An ATSF Double Deck Swink Bridge. A highway lies on top while a railroad bridge for trains sits underneath. It crosses the Mississippi River at Fort Madison.

And much more. The route is roughly 235 miles and has a lot to offer. There are plenty of freight trains to see as well. Intermodals being the most common kind of freight. Piggybacks are also fairly common. Grain trains, autoracks, coal trains, and oil trains make their appearances as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

An SD45 in ATSF livery would be great to see. I still want the SD45-2 in the Bicentennial livery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Yeah it would be have a SF or SPSF Kodachrome EMD SD45, I would say also the ATSF EMD SD45u and EMD SD45-2u that are rebuilded model.
    ATSF SD45-2 5865.jpg 23586983658_8c5fb7f9a5_b.jpg

• Like Like x 1