Arlbergbahn: Bludenz - Innsbruck, " Through The Alps "

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, May 13, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. Maybe, if it's on sale

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm long overdue for an Austrian suggestion. I myself would really enjoy seeing Austria, with it's scenic railways and Iconic Railjets in game. Therefore I'm suggesting the Arlbergbahn between Bludenz and Innsbruck, which sees hourly Railjet services, freight and S-bahn services.

[​IMG]
    An IC hauled by a 1116 on the Trisannabrücke

Contents

• Route
      • General description
      • Cab Views
      • Services
    • Rolling Stock
      • What comes with the route?
        • ÖBB 1116 + Railjet and freight
        • ÖBB 4024
      • DLC
        • ÖBB 1044/1144
        • Nightjet + IC coach expansion pack
      • Layers
    • Final Words
    • Pictures

The Route
    [​IMG]

General description
    The Arlbergbahn is situated in the Tirol area of Austria, in the west, which is known for it's beautiful scenery, which attract many tourists in both summer and winter. The railway features many tunnels and bridges and steep gradients. The longest tunnel is the Arlbergtunnel, at 10.648 metres. The Trisannabrücke near Schloss Wiesberg is one of the most scenic bridges on the route. Most of the western half of the route is single track, with top speeds between 60 and 100 km/h, while the eastern half features mainly double track, with speeds of up to 160 km/h. Along the route there are multiple industrial connections, and at both ends and Landeck-Zams there are freight yards.

The route is quite long, at 130 km, though if tunnels aren't counted, that number drops to roughly 110 km. That means the route is a bit long for TSW at the moment, but I really hope that it can be done due to hills obstructing distant scenery, and most of the route being well suited for autogen because there are only trees there. However, the route could be shortened to either Bludenz - Landeck-Zams or Landeck-Zams - Innsbruck.

Cab Views

Services

The Arlbergbahn sees many long distance Railjet services, aswell as S-bahn and REX services. The two Railjet services togteher create an hourly service. The S4 and S5 services create a 30 min. service interval between Innsbruck and Telfs-Pfaffenhofen. Combined with the unlisted freight services, this creates a quite busy timetable, especially on the eastern slope, where the S-bahn Vorarlberg operates the S-bahn services. The western slope will feel just as busy though, due to the hourly Railjet services, combined with extra freight and potentially even Nightjet, EC and IC services, that all have to share the single track sections on this side of the route.

Railjet
    (from Wörgl) – Innsbruck – Ötztal – Landeck-Zams – St. Anton am Arlberg – Bludenz (onwards to Feldkirch)
    Every 120 min.
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 1116 + Railjet (x2)

Railjet

(From Jenbach) – Innsbruck – Imst-Pitztal – Landeck-Zams – Langen am Arlberg – Bludenz – (onwards to Feldkirch)
    Every 120 min.
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 1116 + Railjet

REX 1
    Innsbruck – Telfs-Pfaffenhofen –Stams – Ötztal – Roppen – Imst-Pitztal – Imsterberg – Schönwies – Landeck-Zams

Every 60 min. (30 min. during rush hour)
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 2024

S4
    (From Rum) Innsbruck – Innsbruck-Westbahnhof – Völs – Kematen – Zirl – Inzing – Hatting – Flaurling – Oberhofen – Telfs-Pfaffenhofen – Rietz* Stams* Mötz* Silz* Haiming* Ötztal* Roppen* Imst-Pitztal* Imsterberg* Schönwies* Landeck-Zams*

Every 60 min.
    *Only a few trains per day go further than Telfs-Pfaffenhofen

S5
    (From Rum) Innsbruck – Innsbruck-Westbahnhof – Völs – Kematen – Zirl – Inzing – Hatting – Flaurling – Oberhofen – Telfs-Pfaffenhofen – Rietz – Stams – Mötz – Silz – Haiming – Ötztal – Roppen* Imst-Pitztal* Imsterberg* Schönwies* Landeck-Zams*

Every 60 min.
    *Only a few trains per day go further than Ötztal

Nightjet
    (from Salzburg) – Innsbruck – Ötztal – Imst-Pitztal – Landeck-Zams – St. Anton am Arlberg – Langen am Arlberg – Bludenz – (onwards to Feldkirch)
    One train pair per day
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 1116 + Nightjet and IC coaches

Nightjet
    (from Salzburg) – Innsbruck – Landeck-Zams – Bludenz – (onwards to Feldkirch)
    One train pair per day

Nightjet

(from Schwarzach-St. Veit)
    – Innsbruck – Landeck-Zams – St. Anton am Arlberg – Langen am Arlberg – Bludenz – (onwards to Feldkirch)
    One train pair per day

Eurocity 'Transalpin'
    (from Jenbach) – Innsbruck – Ötztal – Landeck-Zams – St. Anton am Arlberg – Bludenz – (onwards to Feldkirch)
    One train pair per day
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 1116 or 1044/1144 + IC coaches

Intercity 32
    (from Feldkirch) – Bludenz – Langen – St. Anton – Landeck-Zams – Imst-Pitztal – Ötztal – Telfs-Pfaffenhofen – Innsbruck
    One train pair per day
    Rolling stock: ÖBB 1116 or 1044/1144 + IC coaches

Rolling stock

What comes with the route?

ÖBB 1116 + Railjet and freight
    [​IMG]

A 1116 with a Railjet, in railjet livery.

The 1116 is a member of the Siemens EuroSprinter family, oficially nicknamed 'Taurus'. It serves the purpose of an universal locomotive for the ÖBB, hauling Railjet, Nightjet, IC, EC, REX and freight services throughout Austria and it's neighbouring countries. The 1116 has a max. speed of 230 km/h, which it can only reach hauling Railjets. These Railjets consist of a permanently coupled set of 7 coaches and a locomotive, with the final coach being a cab car. On this route many of the Railjets operate as two coupled sets, both of which going to/coming from a different destination. On this route the 1116 also operates many freight services, often in double traction or with a banking engine due to the steep slopes, by reusing some German freight wagons these services could also be added from the start. Besides the freight and Railjet services the 1116's also operate IC, EC and Nightjet services on this route, but more on that later. Many 1116's have unique liveries that usually promote ÖBB's own products, so licensing for these hopefully shouldn't be difficult, so they can be implemented in a similar fashion to the Trainbow on SEH. More info on wikipedia.

[​IMG]
    Two 1116's in front of a a freight train, in ÖBB red livery.

ÖBB 4024
    [​IMG]

An ÖBB 4024 on a local service on the Arlbergbahn.

The 4024 is an EMU used for local services by ÖBB. On this route it operates both REX ans S-bahn services. The 4024 is part of the Talent family (although a considerably older generation than the Talent 2s' currently in game) of EMU's, and have a top speed of 140 km/h. Most of the sets consist of 4 cars, and are painted in the paint scheme seen above (although some are being repainted into the new Cityjet lieveries). More info on wikipedia.

DLC

ÖBB 1044/1144
    [​IMG]

Two 1044's. The left one is in the older 'Chessboard' livery, with the old logo, while the right one is in the 'Valousek' livery, with new 'Wortmarke' logo. Both these liveries can be seen with both logo's, and would be really fun to see all 4 possible logo/livery combinations in game for variety.

The 1044 is a mainline electric locomotive with a max. speed of 160 km/h, nicknamed 'Alpenstaubsauger" (Alpine Vacuum Cleaner), due to the loud fan noice it emitted while using the electric brakes. It, like the Taurus, serves the purpose of an universal locomotive. At the time it came into service, the 1044 was the most powerful 4-axle electric locomotive in the world, and until the 1116 the pride of ÖBB. Many 1044's were outfitted for push-pull operations, these locos got designated 1144, and thus differ only slightly from the others. The 1044/1144 can be seen in front of many freight trains, and to occasional IC, EC and Nightjet, although the 1116 has largely pushed it from these services. The 1044/1144's are still very important as banking engines, or as extra engines coupled to the front of heavy freight trains, and could add a few of these very interesting services, like on Main-Spessart Bahn. Nowadays it can be seen in both the 'Valousek' livery and older 'Chessboard' livery, which would both be fun to see. This loco could come with a type of 'Innofreight' wagon (pictured below), which are typical for Austrian railways. These modular freight wagons are regarded as the future of freight wagons, and are in use by many railways across Europe. More info on wikipedia.

[​IMG]
    An Innofreight modular wagon, with Innofreight containers.

Nightjet + IC coach expansion pack
    [​IMG]

As the loco that hauls the Nightjet and EC/IC services (the 1116, with the additional possibility of the 1044/1144 DLC) will already be in game with the base route (the 1216 could be added if DTG really wanted a new loco with this DLC, but this really isn't neccesary), there is more room left in the moddeling resource and time budget for a DLC with multiple coaches. Most Nightjets consist of Nightjet coaches and a few normal IC coaches. I'm proposing a pack that consits of the following coaches:

• 2nd class compartment coach, Bmz (Eurofima), in both Nightjet and Grey/Red livery
    • 2nd class open seating coach, Bmpz (Eurofima), In Grey/Red livery
    • 1st class compartment coach, Amz (Eurofima), in Grey/Red livery
    • Couchette coach, Bcmz (Eurofima), in Nightjet livery
    • Sleeping coach, WLABmz, in Nightjet livery
    • Restaurant coach, WRmz (Eurofima), in Grey/Red livery
    Not all of these coaches might be doable (though most of them are part of the Eurfima coaches), and some changes might make sense, I'm no expert on this, and correct me if I got any of the information above wrong.

These coaches would add 10 services (of which 6 Nightjet, and 4 IC/EC) to this route, which isn't a lot, but they are all full length (unlike those on the BR 101, which has 30 services, of which half is only half of the route). However, besides the services on this route they could also layer onto many other routes, which would make this totally worth it as DLC. It would provide a base route for many Nightjet services on German (or other future Austrian, Dutch, Belgian, Swiss, Italian or other Nation's) routes.

What makes these nightly services even more interesting, it the new lighting features introduced with Riesa - Dresden. These will make the experience of driving at night way more interesting, as one can actually see the signs along the railway line, and the contrast between dark forests and brigthly lit cities, stations and yards will be all the more obvious, with gently lit towns providing interesting distant scenery at some points along the railway line.

Layers
    As Austria has the same power and safety systems as Germany, many German locos venture into Austria. This would make some layers using German freight trains (especially the MRCE ones, and even more especially the MRCE BR 182) possible.

Final Words
    All in all I think this would be a really fun route, due to the change between slow single track and fast double tracked sections and the many Railjet, S-bahn and freight services. This route could serve as a nice introduction to Austrian railways. Please let me know your thoughts below, and check out my other suggestions (linked in my signature), if you liked this one :).

Pictures
    [​IMG]

The Trisannabrücke at Schloss Wiesberg.

[​IMG]
    An 1116 with 'Switzerland' livery (for a football world cup), in front of an IC on the Arlbergbahn. Perhaps such a livery can be added in a similar fashion to the 'Trainbow' and 'back the Medway' liveries on SEH.

[​IMG]
    In the (far) distance a double headed freight trains climbs towards the top of the Arlbergbahn. It would be amazing to see these scenes in game, or better yet, play them :).

[​IMG]
    A Railjet (with a 1116 in a special livery) crosses the scenic Trisannabrücke.

[​IMG]
    Two 1044's with Valousek livery and ÖBB wortmarke on the Trisannabrücke

[​IMG]
    Landeck-Zams, near the river you can see the large and renewed station.

[​IMG]
    A Railjet crossign a road near Braz.

[​IMG]
    A Railjet on one of the single track sections near Imst-Pitztal.

[​IMG]
    A 4024 in Innsbruck, with a Railjet in the background.

[​IMG]
    A 4024 on it's way to Ötztal.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the Arlbergtunnel, the 'powertrack' (which replaces the catanery in the tunnels, like on RT) on the left is not yet installed.

[​IMG]
    A double headed EC train, with a mixture of Austrian and Swiss coaches goes into the Arlbergtunnel during winter.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 37
  2. anas.hera

anas.hera Active Member

I’m all in for an Austrian route with the railjet! This route also surprisingly fits very well with my Innsbruck - Kufstein suggestion too

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and some of these strains can layer onto German routes like Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen Nightjet & Haputstrecke München Augsburg Railjet. While others continue on to my suggestion the Westbahn Salzburg to Wien Hbf via Linz & St Polten. Easy way of making ÖBB1116 is reskin the MRCE BR182 Hamburg-Lübeck into ÖBB Red Railjet and Nightjet. Arlbergbahn is a classic Train Sim 21 route that needs to be in Train Sim World 2. By having its maker RSSLO comeback and work on the route for Dovetail games again. That way there is more third-party developers working for the game.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jolojonasgames

I really hope that it being in TS already will make it more likely to come to TSW :).

• Like Like x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

I'll include that too in my update of the map :).

• Like Like x 1
  6. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Is there a german InterCity with the 101 or 182 possible as Layer? (of course it is possible, i mean: Can the german IC coaches be spotted there in reality?)

7. jolojonasgames

Sadly I can't find any evidence for the BR 101 being on the Arlbergbahn, aswell as it's coaches :(.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

I agree and for German routes, it can provide OBB traffic like Railjet Freight and Nightjet. Even your suggestion Koln to Wuppertal gets OBB Taurus freight.

9. jolojonasgames

I really think the possibility of Nightjet layers on German routes too, makes the Nightjet DLC option more attractive to players. They wouldn't add that much services to this route, but a few (very unique) services to a lot of routes.

The Railjet can indeed be seen on HMA, and the 1116 Taurus could be seen in front of freight trains throughout Germany too.

10. driverwoods#1787

Exactly and if you made ÖBB1293 as a DLC on this route then Dutch routes Amsterdam-Arnhem which then becomes Haputstrecke Arnhem Duisburg gets ÖBB freight since ÖBB 1293 173-200 have ATB installed. If you are Standing At Amsterdam you should probably see ÖBB Nightjet sleeper train Amsterdam Innsbruck/Vienna.

11. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Whoa! Such breathtaking scenery! This could be a fantastic route in TSW2, especially with the scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jolojonasgames

Yes, though I have to admit there are many more Austrian routes with breathtaking scenery :).

13. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

Love the Idea with the Railjets and Nightjets and the Iconic Taurus! Do any DB IC Services run on this Line?

14. jolojonasgames

Unfortunately not :(.

15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I like the route, but I think the ÖBB 1116 and 4024 are the fugliest trains I've ever seen.

The ÖBB 1044 however, I love that loco. It was one of my favourite locomotives to drive in Train Simulator.

So, switch that 1116 for the 1044 and I'd probably buy this right on release day. But without the 1044, meh. When it's on a sale, perhaps.

16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree with just repainting it. There are bound to be differences which stop that from feeling real. Just because they look similar doesn't mean DTG would ever get away with that. In terms of the view of the community.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jolojonasgames

Just from a quick comparison of the two cabs:
    • Screen placement is different
      • No screen on the left at all
      • Some Austrian 1116's have digital Dials
    • The screen UI is different
    • The cab uses different colours on both the desk and the walls
    • The surrounds for the levers on the desk seem different

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. driverwoods#1787

That explain the differences between the Austrian ÖBB1116 with MRCE BR182 Hamburg-Lübeck and DB BR182 Rapid Transit Passenger Main Spessart Bahn Rhein-Ruhr Osten Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen freight locomotive. However DTG can still get away by Reskinning MRCE BR182 Hamburg-Lübeck into ÖBB1116 or Rapid Transit DB BR182 into ÖBB1116.

19. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It doesn't though.
    The trains have differences which you just replied to, they are still different trains. There are people who will notice and I personally wouldn't want to buy something I could just make.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jolojonasgames

If anyone is interested, a trip report of a Railjet service along this line, it includes many shots of the beautiful scenery.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. driverwoods#1787

Saw that video and for the railjet it went Westbahn Vienna Salzburg my suggestion then Rosenheim-Innsbruck Arlbergbahn

22. jolojonasgames

A recently published video on the ÖBB Taurus locomotives, which are central to this route suggestion. They haul both the Railjets and Freight services (and the possible DLC Nightjet/IC/EC services). Even though these engines are largely similar to the BR 182's already in game, new liveries (both ÖBB red and Railjet schemes) and small changes have to be made. On top of that the Railjet coaches will be all-new, thus offering the player value for his money, especially when one considers the fact that freight coaches (reused, but still) and the ÖBB 4024 will also be added.

This video is a German documentary on the first two types of the Taurus (1016 and 1116), and it's history. It might be interesting to watch for those that love this loco as much as I do.

• Like Like x 1
  23. driverwoods#1787

I agree and if made this route can give Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg ÖBB services one of those being the 08:40 Augsburg Hbf to München Hbf trip and the 20:43 München Hbf to Augsburg Hbf 21:13 Both are Railjets ÖBB1116. 1116 Nightjet sleeper trains Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen. Both Will use LZB.

24. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes “shut up and take my money !” I will definitely want this route for its beautiful landscape and also the Railjet that I appreciate ( there’s no excuse to not give us a control car like the BR101 dlc )

• Like Like x 1
  25. jolojonasgames

Yes, the railjets are (semi-)permanently coupled sets. The loco can decouple, but as far as I know the coaches can only be separated at special facilities. I have never seen a railjet in any other formation than the standard one (except one where the cab car broke, and the loco coupled to the other end, but then there's still the cab car).

• Like Like x 1
  26. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

The coaches are coupled with semi permanent couplers indeed ( it’s only in case of emergency that they uncouple the cars at the depot indeed ) and the classic buffers and screw at the back of the Bmpvz and the front of the Afmpz

• Like Like x 1
  27. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

this video shows they have the OBB license so it’s now a when, (probably) not an if. (For an Austrian route in general, not necessarily this specific one)

28. jolojonasgames

They do have some kind of relation with ÖBB, but BNSF was also shown in that video, and we know a route for them isn't coming because even though they maintain contact, licensing with BNSF is too complicated.

It does mean increased chances of seeing an ÖBB route, definetely not a guarantee. However, Austria seems like a logical step. IIRC it placed quite high in polls for which country people would like to see, and DTG already has a lot of the systems for Austrian routes, as it shares those with Germany.

29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Mountains and trains. Heaven must be like this.

• Like Like x 1
  30. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

You had me at "railjet"

31. jolojonasgames

I certainly hope heaven is like this :).

• Like Like x 1
  32. markalesso

markalesso Member

This looks amazing! I hope to see Austrian routes in the near future. As I am hungarian, it would be also nice to see Railjet in Hungary as well including Budapest-Keleti, Győr and Hegyeshalom stations.

• Like Like x 1
  33. jolojonasgames

Of course Hungary is an entirely different topic, but I think it could be fun. I have a vague memory of playing MAV trains in Trainz when I was very, very young.

Glad you think the route looks good! :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Austrian scenery? Railjet? Something that's not The Holy Trinity? Yes please.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  35. driverwoods#1787

I can see this layering to München Augsburg where it runs 20:43 München Hbf 21:13 Augsburg Hbf RJX66 Budapest Keleti Frankfurt Flughafen Frankfurt Hbf. Return trip to Wien Hbf Budapest Keleti 08:40 Augsburg Hbf 09:10 München Hbf.
    Riesa-Dresden uses the ÖBB1216 version of Railjet it's 06:33 Großenhein Berliner 06:53 Dresden Hbf.

36. jolojonasgames

This video was taken on this route (Wald am Arlberg to be precise). It really shows the forces working within one ot the freight trains on the route. This route could really provide continental European players with some truly challenging freight, aswell as varied passenger services with both high speed and local services being included. As a bonus the video also shows a Railjet service at the end, indcluding the Austrian anniversay Railjet.