Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I just got started with the LGV this weekend; what a great drive! This run is excellent. I enjoyed the one that does stop at Aix-en-Provence (5332) even more. It was fun to see the 6175 come through a full speed
    13d56a53-7be7-4616-8759-0fbf7ee7dac4.jpg
    and then watch my TVM indications as I got started after it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So I've made an estimated guess as to which services the 20:23 originates from and it is the 19:40 from Köln to Düren. Together it's about an hour and a half with combined 25 minutes of "pause" in Düren (ideal from railfanning all the stuff running around before you get a green light). Poor S-Bahn behind me waiting to be let into the station, because the dispatcher just wouldn't give it a different platform. Nice use of PZB if you're truly sticking to the RE in front of you. So yeah, Br 422 19:40 from Köln and 20:23 from Düren - great ride!

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustWentSouth

HMA ICE Chaos Westbound

This one is relatively straightforward. Start off in ICE Service 598 Berlin-Gesundbrunnen at 09:47. Load your passengers, set up your train, and wait. Start rolling at just before 10:10:30. Just beyond the Munchen platform, you will see this signal:

HMA Chaos Signal.jpg

Make sure you pass it as close as possible to 10:11:30, but not before that time. Enjoy the run!

The timing puts you behind a westbound freight and you have to deal with adverse signals as you follow it from before Munchen-Pasing until after LZB takes over. Beyond that, it is a straightforward run and, despite the delay, a gold medal is still possible.

As a side note, to get the timing right, I used the save game feature for multiple runs and it reliably reproduced the situation. I did test the final version starting from scratch to make sure that everything would set up appropriately.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  4. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It has already been mentioned in this thread (post number 18) and my improvement (post number 213). A really good run indeed... but definitely not hidden, we found it! :D

• Like Like x 3
  6. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Good! Sorry, I was lazy & didn’t trawl first ;)

7. kdadler

kdadler New Member

I picked up an interesting run in the 43 on GWE last night, hopefully it's not yet been added ;)

I couldn't find the service in the timetable list, you need to spawn into Redding at 15:00 and take over the HST that pulls in at around 15:02. This should be the 15:05 direct to Paddington, however it follows a 166 that stops at Slough which results in a double yellow down to a red from 125mph, and some adverse signals on the approach to Paddington.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JustWentSouth

Nice run! The HST pulls into track 11 and is service 1L62 Swansea to London Paddington. You will be able to take it over about 15:03.

A favorite route in this thread gets some more love. I predict we will be seeing a few Clinchfield runs in the near future.

Updates below - coauthored with LeadCatcher and Callum B.

Recommended Service Runs:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

Chaos Runs:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 1
  9. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

GWB 45/47/52 Service 4V01 Acton to Bristol Temple Meads 05:50 (Requires BR Heavy Freight pack)

Just finished this one up, took about an hour. You start at Acton Yard, couple up to some loaded TEA tankers and then make your way up to Reading. Plenty of yellow aspects on this run as you follow a 31 stopping service which itself is also following yellow aspects thanks to a 101 regional service. Make sure you pay attention to those signals! ;)

• Like Like x 8
  10. kevlardrfc#6350

kevlardrfc#6350 New Member

It's one of my favourites as well because as much as I like the 43 there's only so many times you can blast from Reading to London or vice-versa before it becomes a bit like going through the motions so having to slow down, speed up and have AWS going mental 90% of the journey is quite nice

• Like Like x 2
  11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Great suggestion on this service. Just finished it with a Dash 8 leading and an SD40-2 trail, and it was a little touch and go getting over the summit. Was at the 35mph limit at Salisbury Jct and managed to be at 14mph in notch 8 at the summit. Downhill run was much easier, though.

Do you know any other slightly underpowered services like this on SPG?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Not a service mode run. For this one, the best starting point is the journey. NTP- DMU driver journey the first full run from Manchester Victoria to Leeds, departure time 13:09 . It is the one just after the Saturday Special.
    Weather is horrible, snow, mist, you don't see anything. Do not try to put the throttle to the max right away. This is not working today. The trouble starts right at Miles Platting. You managed to stop along the platform, but now you need to get going again and you start slipping. I will not reveal how you got away from Miles Platting. It can be done. But maybe you should forget about medals and lots of points. At the next station, I had some trouble stoning in time. This drive helps you to learn a lot about driving challenges. Enjoy!

13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A really cool run. I highly recommend spawning in Avignon at 12:45 on foot to see the 5332 leave, before 6175 arrives for you to take over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. George1862

George1862 Active Member

I love this forum

• Like Like x 3
  15. JustWentSouth

With all the talk of this scenario in the other threads, this has to be added here:
    Clinchfield RR, Limited Power Scenario

They throw you into dicey situations fast on the Clinchfield journey!

What a study in train physics and how challenging switching must have been on the Clinchfield. And, the F7 is becoming my all time favorite TSW locomotive; it just has such a nice feel and I love lapped brakes.

I ran it the first time without setting handbrakes on the cars and had issues with the entire train starting to roll whenever I coupled the locos (that I had slowed with independent brakes) to the stopped consist. I also had the train start to roll on me when I changed cabs, but was lucky enough to climb into the moving cab and bring the train under control just before it ran away. And, it did take off quickly!

So, whenever you park a consist of loaded hoppers, set handbrakes on the first three or so cars; I found that sufficient to hold the train. Also, I couldn't get at the handbrake wheel by walking and climbing up the car ladder so I just maneuvered the 8 camera so that I could turn the wheel. I know / is a handbrake keystroke shortcut, but I couldn't figure out how to get that to apply to the loaded hoppers. Don't forget to release them when you take off. You might want to write down which cars have them applied.

One bit of warning: be prepared for red "call the dispatcher" boards before you re-enter the main or a SPAD could ruin the run near the end.

Excellent scenario! Hard to think of one I have enjoyed more ... hauling coal with the F7 is awesome and that is a challenging branch line.

• Like Like x 6
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This scenario deserves to be presented to a wider audience - applause for the initiative \o/
    It seemed to me that I already knew something after all these years... This one made me verify my idolatrous views :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. JustWentSouth

Clinchfield Extra 3005 North - Northbound Empties

First of all it's with the F7, so you know it's going to be a good drive and the afternoon lighting is nice. Since it is northbound, you can use the 8 camera to take a screenshot at Pool Point trestle.

You deal with two southbounds. The first is the Greenbrier turn heading south to Dante and the second is a southbound SD40 Coal run. Where you meet the coal run depends on how you drive.

• Like Like x 2
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have a question because it has not happened to me yet: is it possible to meet the RED light to let those trains pass?
    (I mean timetable - scenarios, I know there are such cases)
    My train is always top high priority for some reason :)

EDIT If it is
    possible :)
    with this service - my curiosity has been satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
  19. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It is. I don‘t know the service numbers by heart, but it was one of the southbound (Elkhorn to Dante) manifest trains with the F7.
    I think I had to wait for another train to pass shortly after passing the Haysi branch. The wait was around 10-20 minutes long.

Edit: Just checked - it should be CRR 92 at 10:07 that I‘m talking about.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. JustWentSouth

I’m not at my PC at the moment. However, I experienced that as well. If I recall, it was the 1007 (?) southbound Manifest. You wind up having to wait for the Haysi branch turn.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I just edited my post a few seconds before yours :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

CRR Extra 3010 South - Southbound Coal
    A pair of SD 40s at the rear of the train. A puzzle-service :)
    You can set them as manual helpers (!), throw in some notches, and help F7s. At least on PC [Ctrl] [- / +]

• Like Like x 2
  23. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The 09:50 Freight in Main Spessart Bahn is a double header DB86108 since the 09:59 86109 is a single DB BR185 BR182 if RT is owned then DB BR155 if RSN RRO is owned

• Like Like x 1
  24. driverwoods#1787

Want A local train that is held to let a Freight train through
    Try Main Spessart Bahn Lohr to Gemunden 12:10. For those that spawn on foot try spawning at Bahnhof Lohr at 12:05 then walk to that train. Lohr to Gemünden 12:10 is held at Langenprozelten to let the double formation DB BR185 88120 through. Here's my video

25. driverwoods#1787

Even realistic put on Sifa. Beware of either Sifa or PZB Zwangsbremsung what you're going to use the release button

26. driverwoods#1787

10:10 Lohr to Gemunden is held there by the 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden RB54/55 Limited Stop service and I'll upload a Video of that run from its perspective. 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden limited stops train has to be priority over Lohr to Gemünden Local. Try running the 12:10 Lohr to Gemünden service you're held at Langenprozelten to let DB 88120 through then go

27. driverwoods#1787

The Train on the right it's actually the 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden RB54/55 Limited Stops. If you are playing the regional train on the right you will have the right of way priority over the Lohr to Gemünden local then proceed. For the 12:10 Lohr to Gemünden you're held at Langenprozelten to let DB 88120 pass then proceed.

• Like Like x 1
  28. JustWentSouth

Great run! I loved the blizzard. I need to fire up the snow machine and give it another run in those conditions. Thanks.

29. driverwoods#1787

Which one is it the one that I did or 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden to which when you arrive at Lohr you have the right-of-way over the 10:10 Local Lohr to Gemünden. The fun part with the destination signs is that they can say RRO Hagen RSN Finnentrop & RT DB BR182 destination of Leipzig on the Main Spessart Bahn Dosto Cab car.

• Like Like x 1
  30. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

DB 86110 Aschaffenburg - Gemünden freight service on Main Spessart Bahn.

Extremely challenging in low adhesion conditions (snow, rain), BR155 recommended (maybe required thanks to its higher power and tractive effort)

The service itself is quite interesting, because you will get double yellows on the steepest parts of the Spessart Rampe, and if you are on low adhesion conditions this trip really becomes a fight between 1.700t of steel and gravity, as you have to slow down to 40 km/h when seeing the double yellows you will not be able to gain speed on the steepest part of the ramp, and you have to make sure to use the few momentum you have to get to the less steep part, if you wheel slip for too long you lose to much speed and stall, not enough tractive effort, you lose too much speed and stall, you always need to make sure you are right on the boundary of wheelslip to apply the max amount of tractive effort.

Naturally sand active all the way, and the icing of the cake is that you will get a red light before Heigenbrücker, so that means departing from a stand still on a 2% grade.

On the BR155 I did set the tap changer to 5 and then fiddled with the tractive effort selector to make sure I was right on the edge of max possible power, I would usually turn it up, as soon as I noticed wheeleslip turned it down and then back up a tiny bit, not enough to cause wheelslip. I went from 40km/h to 20km/h until I got to the less steep part

It was great fun, especially without the HUD using some community-made Buchfahrplan found on this website: https://rail-sim.de/forum/filebase/?pageNo=1&sortField=time&sortOrder=DESC&id=1751
    I will attach the file here
    20210416_134226.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  31. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Ruhr Sieg Nord

DB 84501 Hagen - Werdohl

Its a service that is just 6 locos going back to Finnentrop. It ends in Werdohl but it continues in another service as DB 84502 Werdohl-Kreuztal

Why?
    Well, the power delivery is instantaneous and so is the braking making it fun. It is a completely different experience than hauling freight.

32. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This service is a bit of a hit and miss to me. Yes, it is unique in its character, but it also shows something weird with electric locos as you can't run with only the front one like you'd do IRL. There's no way (at least I haven't found any) to shut down the rest of the train and run it the way you should.

33. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Interesting. I did find it wierd that all locos were in service for a move. But I didn't know it was not how it was done IRL. I figured once you couple them they all share the same circuit or something hence everything was putting out power. But it is still a fun run.

34. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can shut the others down.

35. driverwoods#1787

What happens is this you get to encounter wheel slip and roll backwards towards the previous signal and fail. That happens if you caused a PZB LZB Sifa Zwangsbremsung on a freight train so sanding is the solution then restart the throttles and brakes. Even the Aschaffenburg to Gemünden locals have this problem too

36. driverwoods#1787

Interesting and if Austrian trains are made you would have held the ÖBB1116 with the Brussels Midi to Wien Hbf sleeper train and the locomotive for it is a reskined MRCE BR182 Hamburg-Lübeck locomotive in ÖBB Red Paint. Also HMA if you own that route to which 20:43 Railjet to Frankfurt via Augsburg Hbf 21:13 arrival would have been stuck at the Rangierbanhof München Pasing & Laim for a DB BR 182 155 & 185 freight train. That Includes DB BR143 BR146.2 RE & DB BR423 S Bahn Trains

• Like Like x 1
  37. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Excellent thread! Last night I did the 15:57 from Acton Yard thanks to a recommendation here, it was a great journey!

I've scanned through all the replies & noted down the interesting journeys for the routes I have.

• Like Like x 3
  38. driverwoods#1787

The Double formation & DB83177 which needs a banker engine at Laufach towards Heigenbrücken need mode U PZB

39. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I don't think this service is already been posted here. I would recommend the DB85853 freight service on Hauptstrecke Munchen Augsburg.

I don't want to spoiler anything, but it's an interesting service with a lot of adverse signals.

PS: I believe it works only with all layers activated on HMA

• Like Like x 2
  40. driverwoods#1787

That locomotive is from Main Spessart Bahn. And if you want to challenge yourself on that route try these two 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden you get to Lohr at 10:05 or 10:10 you get the priority over the Lohr to Gemünden RB54 local which is scheduled to depart at 10:11 therefore it must wait for 09:45 Heigenbrücken to Gemünden service leave to Lohr then proceed. The other service is going to be 12:10 Lohr to Gemünden regarding that train you are held at Langenprozelten to let DB 88120 go past you. The final part is that once that freight train is clear you can proceed to Lohr

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  41. JustWentSouth

Clinchfield SB Chaos Fail: Don’t Mess with the Fruit

Just how perishable is that stuff from Florida?

Having a meet on the single track is relatively routine on the Clinchfield. So, the bar is a little bit higher for true chaos and I started out trying to set up three meets as I drove the Southbound Manifest leaving at 10:07, CRR number 92.

This run is a nice one, and I recommend it without reservation just as it is, but I sought to complicate it a bit:

I tried to create a situation where the first meet southbound was at the Haysi turnout waiting for the northbound Haysi turn to head east on to the spur. However, the dispatcher would not allow it! The southbound trigger that keeps the Haysi turn at Delano siding is about 15 minutes north of the spur. When the turn leaves the the siding, it only takes 10 minutes to clear the main. So, waiting on the main to watch the turn take the spur is impossible, even with crazy (Sam level) speeding after the trigger signal. All I can do is pass it while it waits at at Delano. All appropriately done by the dispatcher, who must not like chaos!

Seeking to extract revenge for our dispatchers unrelenting embrace of reliability, I decided to start messing with the fruit, the Florida Perishable. A northbound cold drag leaves at Dante 11:12. The fruit train leaves at 12:12. So, I stared at Elkhorn at 10:07 and just sat there for two hours. Or rather, my computer whirred on while I found other things to do.

Northbound and southbound trains leaving Dante and Elkhorn are already cleared beyond the first passing the siding when they start, so those two sidings are not in play here. Therefore, the furthest north that the 11:12 coal drag will come is Berta Junction, where it will patiently wait for me. However, even if I sit at Elkhorn until after the scheduled departure of the perishable at 12:12, the “hot shot” won’t get clearance to head north out of Dante. It seems that rather than suffer the embarrassment of being on the siding waiting for my late train, the dispatcher would rather have the fruit rot in Dante. I finally pulled into Dante well over two hours late and the Perishable was sitting there waiting, the crew taking aim at me with said rotten fruit, ready to enhance the appearance of rolling stock that is notoriously never washed.

Next, I turned my attention to the southbound 19:55 manifest hoping to conflict with a northbound 21:42 manifest and a northbound 22:15 empties train. However, the 2142 train seemingly will not spawn if I am still north. I checked and I can still start the service as a driver and I can also spawn on foot at Dante and climb aboard.

I have some other ideas for bringing Chaos to Clinchfield and think I may have found a 3 meet solution, but I need to clean off some fruit and won’t get to try them until later.

I am really enjoying operations on this scenic single track line!

• Like Like x 2
  42. driverwoods#1787

Good point to make it even insane if Dovetail Games makes the first transborder High Speed Line Perpignan-Barcelona 180 km 110 mi you're going pass AVE S100 at Provence TGV Station provided DTG Joined LGV Perpignan-Barcelona with LGV Meditrerrean Line .

• Like Like x 1
  43. Wintermute89

Wintermute89 Member

I think I´m a bit late to the party but I bought the BR Heavy Freight pack and loved the included services so far. They are interconnected and you can play some services from two perspectives.
    In one set of services you´re exchanging wagons with an incoming train and you can play both as the BR 08 exchanging the wagons on the incoming train (even waiting for it to arrive) or as the line loco bringing in vans and picking up new ones. To me the interconnected freight services from this expansion are (next to the DB BR 363 and CRR) the best ones in TSW2, yet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  44. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

GWE Diesel Legends Class 31 - Old Oak Common - Paddington services

Start with 5N01 at Old Oak. It's due to start at 5.15 but set the loco up and then inspect the outside of the loco for hydraulic/ oil leaks etc. That should take you to 5.17. Follow the scenario as normal but you should be held at the carriage siding reception signal ( the one that normally clears as you approach). A nice bit of departing and arrival traffic passes while you're waiting.

You couple to 2N02. Once coupled and the scenario finishes, go to Free Roam, shut down the cab, and then follow the normal scenario instructions. You will depart about 10 minutes late and follow a DMU stopping service giving a nice bunch of yellows/reds.

This works with all of the Class 31 scenarios I have tried, starting at Old Oak, each one giving slightly differing traffic/ DMU delays. Just remember to leave Old Oak about 2 minutes after the start time.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check the brake settings, they've always been on Air Goods for me and it's much easier to drive with Air Passenger selected. The Diesel Legends dlc has some great drives. The timetable seems to be very well thought out and there are lots of services where you can change ends and drive the next service without having to go to the main menu. I had a great drive last night, 2R18, 0526 Paddington to Reading, all stations. 2A73, the 0525 to Maidenhead left one minute before my train and it was a succession of yellows and one red all the way until it pulled into the bay platform at Maidenhead. It's becoming my favourite route in this guise. I think they have been listening to feedback and have tried to make the timetable as interested and varied as possible. For example, they could have made all the Greenford trains leave West Ealing at the same minutes past the hour and return at the same minutes past the hour. This would make every run a carbon copy apart from time of day but they haven't done that. On Tees Valley, my other favourite route, every Saltburn train leaves Darlington at **41 and you get to know what you will pass and where. On Diesel Legends, I feel like I have no idea what will happen on each run. If you can ignore the temporal anomalies it's recommended.

• Like Like x 3
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Can you stop spamming this thread with these two services please. You have posted them several times now. Once is all you needed.
    This also isn’t a thread for adding things that DTG could make and how that would change things. This thread is for services that already exist and only that. There is a suggestion forum for things that don’t yet exist. There is no need to reply to multiple posts adding irrelevant information, it’s just clogging up the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  47. JustWentSouth

Clinchfield Chaos: I finally managed to meet three trains. There is just one catch.

I did it by starting out in the CR 3003 NB coal service with 3 SD40s at the point. The service starts at 18:12. I waited until 1935 and experienced three meets. I met the 19:08 SB manifest, the 19:51 Moss Turn heading S, and the 19:55 SB manifest. The catch is that I met all three of them at McClure siding and waited a long time. The meet at McClure is interesting; the manifest is waiting, but you can't assume that the signal at the end of the siding will be green because the Moss Turn follows closely behind. It is just that once the Moss Turn passes, the 19:55 manifest has just taken the signal beyond Delano siding which precludes a meet there - which would have been fun.

The CRR dispatcher is reliable, but very conservative. Once trains clear a passing siding, instead of being cleared up to the end of the next siding, they are cleared beyond the next siding if track space is available. This can make for some long waits and it makes it difficult to set up meets.

However, there are some nice CRR service mode runs and they are listed in the spreadsheet update below, done once again with assists from LeadCatcher and Callum B.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I forgot to include the Limited Power scenario on the Clinchfield! This one belongs in the Scenario Hall of Fame.
    Let me know if there are runs or details of runs I have left out or not recorded correctly.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  48. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I’ve just had to re-do Fremont Ascent because I lost concentration for a moment, and misinterpreted a stop at as a go via.

why is that fun do you ask?

this particular passing loop is not signal protected. If you have been fast on your journey you can enter the single track before the AI has cleared it (again please note the loss in concentration above)

can make for an interesting if cut short run. Not 100% sure this deserves inclusion as that’s the only risk... but shows how much attention you really have to pay with single track running.

• Like Like x 1
  49. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-20_9-8-53.png see something wrong?

• Like Like x 2
  50. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member