Beautiful Arosa, But...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by graham.haddon, Mar 26, 2021.

1. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Also posted on Facebook. I am well aware I am posting about known issues but from the Arosa streams feedback has been encouraged by all involved.
    Well now I have actually played Arosa for the first time tonight to see what it is like. Beautiful job Rivet. Really fantastic job capturing the essence of the route, it's really lovely. I really don't think it deserves some of the so harsh negative feedback.The locos and coaches are modelled beautifully. Sure distant scenery and trees could be better but on the whole I am very impressed with how it looks and feels.

However as everyone is already aware there is an issue with the driving dynamics. If you try and drive as is prototypically correct(as Jasper said in the stream). That is: 40% Train brake and adjust the traction motor brake when required. There is a sort of reverberation through the couplings as they bounce against one another. As if there is to much springing effect in the couplings but no damping effect. A bit like the suspension on a car if it has a knackered shock absorber. The spring effect just keeps going with nothing to dampen it. You can see the effect in game watching the speedometer start oscillating up and down up until the point it get so bad there is a derailment. You can still notice the effect very slightly even if just using train brakes but never to the extent of derailing the train.
    I'm guessing it can be fixed with editing the coupling springing/damping effect if I'm interpreting the problem correctly. I got the impression from last night's stream that Matt and the Rivet team know exactly what the issue is and how to fix it..

Only other criticism is I haven't noticed any jointed track sounds, going over points etc. I know the carriages have quite a distinct running noise but no track joints. I could be wrong...

But on the whole I think I'm really going to enjoy playing this one. I am looking forward to the patch to fix the derailing problem .

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I think its a combination of what you're suggesting here and it happening in a curve that also has a change in grade at the same time. Any one of the three on their own is survivable. I've just made a tutorial on a way that you can get all the way to the bottom shiny side up. I'll post the link when it finishes getting crunched by YouTube.

Paul

3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Nice video Paul.

Got to remember "Shiny side up".

• Like Like x 1
  4. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Waiting for it to be repaired, the treatment in the distance is too sloppy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. paul.pavlinovich

Glad you like it davidh0501 always I am always grateful for feedback in either direction :)

59321747 I doubt they will do anything with distant scenery. They've used the resources on making awesome localised scenery. If they also make great distant scenery its going to perform badly on consoles.

6. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that they will restore the distant scenery. However, time will be in the next few months.

7. paul.pavlinovich

Where did you hear that?

8. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Jasper from Rivet has said in preview streams that updating distant scenery would require rebuilding the route at a foundational level, which is probably not going to happen since the route is released. Any changes to distant scenery will thus be apparent in their future routes I would say.

• Like Like x 2