Before You All Shoot Me Down, May I Say Dtg, Ts And Jay.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JocK, Jun 10, 2018.

1. JocK

JocK New Member

May have this discussion board maybe all wrong??

We are all aware of the licencing thing, etc. From some *Rail companies eg: BSNF
    And why some think TS and DTG might "Harm thier Brand??" *
    It should be 3 or 4 Pinned, totally separate ones, only.

1.) "What would you like to see, Outside of the US, UK and DE." only.
    (a.k.a or "as the Rest of the World.")

2,) "What would you like to see, {Inside of} the US, UK and DE." only.

3.) "and or even if you would like more emphasis on our three main locales as opposed
    to experimenting in unfamiliar territories."
    Which is all fine for you all, Ha!

and an

4.) US one, only.

5.) UK etc, only.

6,) DE etc. only.

*And if you partake on any of them, you have to not whinge or moan on any of them
    against that given Discussion page??
    (Like I have, I guess.) etc.

Then that way one could talk all, you want on that given page. Not*

All I have every wished for, was more of the "Rest of the World"
    and not necessarily my Country, just about any Country.
    (but not more of the 3 main ones, etc.)
    And this stage, some of the rest of the World you have on board at the moment, dosen't
    appeal to me, esp Steam Loco's or really fast ones, LOL!)

Pardon for that, I am yet to be really comfortable, with them.

(It's as "Doc Brown said that other mystery of "Women," Ha!)

2. JocK

JocK New Member

I'm only upset for the likes of others. Not so much me.

Sadly, some only think that the US (and some UK.) is the only countty in the known World...!
    And wouldn't vote for all us, too.
    Start thinking outside the usually world, you live in, I know some of you are wanting, too.
    Some went to space, even! And yes some mostly call home, home. But the also visited other parts of the great place we call the World, came back and told all the great and not so great things they saw, or ate or where they slept, but they gave it ago...!
    (We know the focus is mainly US and UK or DE. With the amount of Buggy DLC's, getting pump out. Good luck with that you want them.) And TSW.
    If the market % of US and UK is so much of all of us, put together.
    Then, I wonder if Rest of the World only member's would greatly overtake both US (and even UK and DE? in market %'s ??)
    Plus, from some members of the US and UK etc, who would want us, too.
    Then, it's ashamed that they wont even try, though they say, can't.
    (or they want 3rd to do it for them.) Yet US, UK and DE is done, greatly.

Also then, why put on TS in one's main menu, South America, Africa and Europe, Asia, Australia?
    (the whole of them, not just bits and a time, which wont get expanded on, compared to US, UK and DE.)
    Oceania should be there, too. For New Zealand, etc. (and others of that area.)
    (Cos they are not Aussies. They are great Kiwi's, Kia Ora and Kia Kaha "the ever strong." Land of the long White cloud. Fame. Hobbit fame, too.)
    So there's my 2 cents, worth.

The_Hobbit_thing_is_in_relation_to_NZ_Rail.

3. hightower

hightower Guest

Thing is, there’s nothing to stop software developers anywhere else making a train simulator. It’s neither the UK nor DTGs (a UK company) responsibility to make Train Simulator or TSW cover the whole world.

Given the amount of non-UK content there is, I think they do a good job providing for other parts of the globe. There’s still plenty of the UK that hasn’t been touched at all, so having a go at the UK & USA won’t get you anywhere.

If you must, maybe apply some pressure on non-UK developers to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Despite all of the criticism of TS and DTG it’s amazing just how much interest there is in new routes. It’s true that there’s a bias in the routes available towards the UK, US and Germany. A large part of that is no doubt the software companies knowing their market (I’ve never seen the numbers but there seem to be a lot of us Brits around) but there’s also probably some element of what is do able and what would be interesting. One thing is route length. The UK is a densely populated area with changing scenery. It’s possible therefore in around 80 miles to produce an interesting route. In other places, let’s say Australia, it’s more sparse and a route of 80 miles wouldn’t get you much when you’d left the big city. Another example might be Canada. Montreal to Toronto might be a nice idea, but that’s over 300 miles and six hours in duration.

Personally I’ve always admired the work of Chris Trains and they’ve always produced nice rolling stock. But I’ve yet to see a decent payware route for the Netherlands so that would be on my wish list.

Given the age of TS there does still seem to be a good amount of new DLC and routes coming out. As Hightower says there’s no barrier to anyone jumping on the third party DLC wagon with TS. The fact that there haven't been more new entrants or existing vendors focusing on other geographical areas probably means that commercially it just doesn’t work. We all wish it could be different but it’s one of the inherent issues in having a hobby supported by a commercial community. They are only going to invest in things that provide a return. It’s not greed or ignoring requests, just real life.

I saw your initial postings on Steam and Axe suggested that you try over here despite his comment

‘Ever (sic) their (DTG) own TS forums are deader than hot pants I'm sad to say...’

Actually I think that the number of posts on this forum compares well with the Steam one these days. Too many of us here may be hanging onto our memories of hot pants (and mini skirts?) but we’re probably a more welcoming and friendly bunch than some on Steam at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

That's a good point but surely there are sections of routes or areas that are sufficiently self-contained to make make satifying DLC. Suburban systems, preserved railways (the Zig-Zag!), lines in Tasmania which can't get that long etc. I attended a talk about the branch line to Bombala built under John Whitton (probably the most important and influential railway engineer you've never heard of). It's 180+ miles long (branch line... he he) which would overtax TS but the northern half, sadly the only bit that's still open, runs from Goulburn (which has a railway museum) to the ACT and Canberra. Worth considering surely?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

JJTimothy yes that’s true and I’m sure there are lots of examples in other places.

One other thing to think about when a new ‘country’ is modeled as a route is that pretty much everything has to be new. Locos, rolling stock, signals, buildings and maybe in some cases even terrain. That adds to the cost and time that it takes to build a route. On the UK routes for example I’m sure that there’s a lot of reused content by the DLC developers. For a UK route as well there’s a good chance that the user may already have other DLC that he can use on the route as well.

Now, again that doesn’t mean that diversifying routes isn’t a good idea but there are some practicalities that may get in the way of being commercially successful.

One example of where we may see new routes is China. There railways are expanding with new High Speed routes and that I think is a likely area for DTG to expand. Obviously that’s a potentially huge future market.

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

India? Darjeeling mountain railway? South America?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Certainly although, at least in the case of Australia, a lot of rolling stock is imported including types already available in TS. The F Class Diesel shunter is an Irish Standard Gauge Class 11 while the XPT is an IC125 that has let itself go.

There is a section of the Darjeeling available.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JocK

JocK New Member

Hi_high_tower.

That's_not_totally_about_other parts of the_globe.
    There_is_not_really_much_of_Rest_of_the_World_compared_to_US_UK_and_DE.
    (Pardon_for_the_"_"_I_don't_know_why_I_can't_use_my_SpaceBar_Tabs_or_Del_Button_(sigh)

10. hightower

hightower Guest

Hi Jock,

I’m not sure what you want. DTG is a British company that makes a simulator that covers, essentially, the British railway network. In addition, they simulate large chunks of the US and German railway system because there is clearly a market for it. Beyond that, there are routes available for China and France, with more available no doubt if you look at 3rd party content.

The point remains that it is not DTGs responsibility to make Train Simulators for every part of the globe.

EDITED to add, as Martin says below, should they choose to make other country content then great, but it’s certainly not their responsibility, which you seem to somehow think it is.

Thanks for the downvote btw.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I can't release any plans or make any guarantees but I thought I'd offer 2 cents here. As a company what we make is affected by a bunch of things - how many people want stuff? How easy is it to make? Does it add something really new to our existing library? etc.

I appreciate this can be a bit frustrating from a fans perspective as from what you guys can see anything could come out and it's difficult to predict and it may not seem like you have influence over the process, but we're always listening to suggestions and trying to find ways to put them into effect. We consider suggestions from all around the world, and I personally hope that we'll get to the point where there'll be much more content from different countries.

Sorry I can't give details of the production schedule, but I assure you we're all on the same side in wanting a truly international TS18!

Best wishes,
    Martin

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

ps Martin, any chance we might see some DTG produced content simulating the independent territory of Yorkshire, Hull - Manchester across the Pennines or the Ale Trail etc?

I think the popularity of DPS’s Harrogate Loop shows there’s demand for it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018