Best American Locomotive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steamfan, May 26, 2021.

1. steamfan

steamfan Member

With the current Midweek Madness Steam sale,

What is the best American locomotive in TS?, Searchlight's AC4400CW is an obvious choice, but are there any other ones?

2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Reppo WP GP20 is a very realistic one (I don't have SS AC4400CW so GP20 is the most realistic loco I drove).
    From DTG I bought yesterday the AC6000CW and it looks beautiful, and I downloaded YN3 and UP reskins for her that are awesome, but I didn't have the chance to do a long ride yet. Also from DTG the GP40 pack is very nice.
    A good tip is looking for the TS Pro range label, but it might go wrong as certain TGV we know

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

If you want a taste of electrics, Reppo also has an M2 and an E33, both of which use New York New Haven for scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Two locos I like - even though they are probably inaccurate
    New Haven FL9
    Screenshot_Maine Maritime_43.65544--70.25319_11-50-14.jpg

Santa Fe SD75
    Screenshot_Pacific Surfliner_34.05759--118.23396_16-14-53.jpg

I don't know enough about US locos but these are nice to drive

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Which route is that one with street running?

7. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Smokebox: Literally anything from him is worth considering, the only ones I'd have reservations with is the AT&N 2-8-0 and FEF-3. Not because they're bad, they're absolutely worth it if you have any interest in those engines. But if you you're valuing quality first and foremost the 1800's engines and the Big Boy are considerably better than them. Personally I'd get the 119 first as it's on sale and includes Cheyenne 1869, and thus you don't need to worry about any route requirements for it and gives you a fitting route for it. If you like that then go with whatever engines and stock you're interested in, you can't go wrong with any of the 1800's engines. The Big Boy is fantastic, but as it's new it's not on sale, thus I would hold off on it unless you're sure you have everything you want from the sales as is.

Reppo: They're a bit lower quality than Smokebox and Searchlight, but are still a lot better than most of the other North America engines. I can recommend all of them, but there's more variation in quality than with Smokebox. The Baldwin Centipede in particular I'd hold off on, the GP20 & E33 are both around the same price on sale and are way more detailed. The M2 is great, I would say the best one by Reppo, so while a bit more expensive I would say it's absolutely worth if you have any interested in east coast commuter ops.

Virtual Rail Creations: They have a C39-8 & C30-7 that are very detailed, I would say even more so than Reppo's. They have a U30C as well, but it has issues in 64 bit, still works in 32 bit, and there there is a Steam review that details how to fix it for 64 bit at least.

G-Trax's Sacramento Northern: Suisun Bay – San Francisco Route: It's a 1930's/40's suburban route which features some lovely electric locomotives. They're not on par with the other pro range engines I've mentioned up to this point, but they do have some extra details over most other engines, notably relating to the safety system. In terms of loco detail they are easily the weakest and least interactive of the bunch, but they're a step above most included stock in routes, and it's one of the most unique routes in TS Classic.
    Also n the same website and also from G-Trax there's Pennsylvania Steam.
    https://railworksamerica.com/index....:pennsylvania-steam&catid=20:route-collection
    For both routes you'll nee the old European & US assets packs, I believe, but if you have both there's are fantastic freeware/former payware routes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the Smokebox recommendations above and I am completely blown away by the Big Boy; it is the pinnacle of US steam simulation. I am also a big fan of the Searchlight Simulations CP AC4400.

However, don’t overlook the SD40-2s from Searchlight. They are only $10 each or $20 for a bundle and they have fantastic sounds and horns. My personal favorite is the UP bundle which comes with scenarios for Sherman Hill and Feather River Canyon:

https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/jr-sd40-2-union-pacific-bundle

• Like Like x 1