Birmingham Cross-city Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by RailFan97, Nov 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

The first service I've attempted is 5U05 Birmingham New Street to Four Oaks. It's an ECS but you're required to open the doors at Birmingham New Street and again when you arrive at Four Oaks, which is completely unrealistic. I've now changed ends and should be returning as the 06:16 to Redditch but the game still thinks I'm playing 5U05 and hasn't loaded the new journey. A frustrating start, particularly as the route and train seem brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

I've also noticed that when using the 'Classic' controls on Xbox moving the left stick up and down while having A pressed (e.g. lowering blind) causes the Reverser to change. The same happened with the Class 465 but that seems to have now been fixed.

3. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

Overall a decent route, only thing I have noticed is poor route buildin between Barnt Green and Alvechurch, needs so much more vegatation, it just looks like some tree have been plopped down. Barnt green also needs for vegatation next to the platforms

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. jefalcon6

jefalcon6 Active Member

Normally I'd be purchasing a new UK route on the first day. I will get this route in time and I'm interested in the features offered by the layers from other DLCs, but the thought of driving another generic electric multiple-unit train doesn't really excite me too at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I feared, another rushed to market route. People have already commented about missing lineside fencing in some locations. Sadly as we know from other routes, BML for example, this will simply be ignored or swept under the carpet rather than throwing the route back to the builder(s) and telling them to finish the job for a patch.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

Agreed, it's a real shame being its my local route, especially as lots of it like between redditch and alvrchurch are so good In terms of detail quality

• Like Like x 1
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The 323 feels quite different to drive after the Electrostars. Full width windscreen so you can actually see the Brum scenery too!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

The PIS on the platforms are showing trains are 2 carriages, rather than 3.
    Be good to get destinations showing on the AI services too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

20221117_123500.jpg seems like these guys are trying their best to blend into their surroundings at Barnt Green too haha

10. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I see the AI PIS doesn't work

• Like Like x 1
  11. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

This is what frustrates me, even on a short(ish) route like this they are rushing things, glad I am sitting this one out for now. Still, all worth the extra £5

• Like Like x 1
  12. Factor41

There's far more love and detail been poured into this than some of the longer routes. The whole route is built-up, from Barnt Green to well beyond New Street, no miles of featureless countryside like most of the other routes, and plenty of recognisable custom buildings along the way. It's also an hour end-to-end, which is plenty enough for me! Easily worth the asking price from where i'm sitting.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

I started the journey mode and it looks good. I have to get used to the brakes. It’s very easy to slip into -4 emergency notch, but also easy to get to release it. Finally DTG continues to use the B for guard button. The engines sound like the Swedish X60 - the one you can see on my discord profile, if you happen to stumble over it. By the way I think Glossop (if I heard the question right) is south of the Peak District. In Sweden we only have Cadbury biscuits. Chocolate is Marabou.

I found out that you have to step on notch 4 at start to keep the timetable. And brake fairly late. A bit like the Munich S-Bahn

• Like Like x 1
  14. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

Talking of landmarks though how on earth did they leave the university clock tower out?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Factor41

Yeah, that's a shame. Missing Old Joe was quite the oversight and would have been a good talking point.

In other uni news, did everyone spot the rooftop donkey out by BCU? :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. MAX1319

So on TSW2 on SEHS,PIS screen on the 375 were selectable. On TSW3 their not selectable, they are automatically. On TSW2 AI PIS screens worked. On TSW3 they don’t work . On TSW3 the AI trains on Kassel-Wurzburg don’t work. Now on BCC PIS screen is not selectable.Is automatic.AI PIS don’t. Is this the normal going forward? Is is an issue that is known and they are working on it?

• Like Like x 2
  17. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

You could have at least let us, test ourselves with more then 5mk1s behind steam from Bromsgrove.
    Mean longer consists for everything would have been a great challenge up the lickey

18. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Exactly, so much love they forget the biggest and most iconic landmark on the route by far! I lived just 10 minutes away from the University station and to miss the clock tower but include the QE is a very strange decision, very disappointing.

19. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I believe Villa Park is also missing, that's the ground of Aston Villa Football Club to those who don't know their football

20. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

You can't really see Villa Park from this route anyway, it's nearer to Witton (on the Walsall Line) than Aston.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Ah that's fair enough then, I thought you may of been able to see it from there, last time I passed Aston, I was a kid, many many moon ago.

I did get off at Witton once to go to Villa Park to watch England (can't remember who against now) as the New Wembley was being built, not been there away with my club (Everton) though, anyway, I digress.

22. Ilba8765

Ilba8765 Well-Known Member

In conductor mode the "local door" closes together when closing at all doors, while it should still be open + AI train does not wait for your departure, can an adjustment be made to this?

20221118100044_1.jpg

23. Bertil Persson

It should definitly work after the fix. Look at this.

24. trainsmad1812

trainsmad1812 New Member

game content is good the train, is nice to drive but the game keeps crashing on chocolate train at new street as soon you go to open the doors and I am on pc. I think the latest patch might of broken the game again by not being properly tested. other than that overall a good DLC, thunder struck also seems to crash at new street, again as soon you go to open the doors, am sorry say to I think they have let to many bugs through with this DLC I hope I am wrong.

25. J4mes

J4mes Member

Downloaded and played for a short time last night. Played one HST Stock move, was fun in the dark with no prior route knowledge, but I muddled through without no hitches!! Secondly, played one timetable journey with 323, arrived at Four Oaks, decided to go free roam and have an explore of the Station. Imagine my shock when I met a new friend!!
    four oaks surprise.jpg

Have to say well done to DTG for this, he actually moves as well. I did have a Video but its not letting me post on here as the file is to big!! Think I am going to enjoy this route if things like this pop up when you least expect it!!

• Like Like x 4
  26. bittesteigensieein

bittesteigensieein Member

I think its important to give credit where it is due. Congrats on a great route, really nice sounds, lots of details. This brough back memories of the BVE route which was also fantastic at the time, now I finally get to do the whole route and in both directions. There is enough variation to keep it interesting. I drove from Four Oaks to Longbridge, and then back up to Lichfield Trent Valley, and then the train becomes a Bromsgrove service.

There are a few PIS issues as usual, hoping these can be fixed soon.

27. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

Just testing the new track at the moment. Very detailed, lovely track ... ... ...

But that is not the main point I want to make. I would like to enter the field of price and financing briefly and directly hardcore:

("Why?" The quesiton is not "why?", the question is "why the h... not?" and the answer is "because I can" :D
    I know, I am a boring spoiler who always tries to bring up a painful subject. ;D )

It is very obvious, that the DLC was much more expensive, than the other ones (for TSW 2). Sure, it is TSW 3 now and and and ...
    Well, I personally have no bigger problems with that, I work alot for not very much money, ... well it adds. And if a game fits to you, you - sure - pay more for it. But this is not the case for the most other players I guess.
    And it is crystal clear that a game can't survive with only it's core fans. A lot of studios tried: AAA- to small indie-studios all failed.

I saw the risk in what can happen, if a game gets too expensive for the people who have not very much money, that they can invest into their video games ... or more exact: In TSW 3.
    Indeed, there are lot of other video games and other things out there, that need money (FPS, snow tire, a new bike or the new movie with this dinosaur world).

I therefore wonder whether DTG has thought about alternative ways of financing so that the additional costs do not have to be passed on one-to-one to the buyers; and so there is a risk that the revenue will decrease, simply because the DLCs become too expensive.
    (Okay; maybe they thought about it - but obviously not successful yet.)

A train simulator has - similar to sport games - an advantage speaking about financing. Especially if we talk over routes that lead through bigger cities.
    Or more strickly said:
    Why not sell the virtual advertising surface (placards and similar) to get some xtra returns from the ones, who buy the virtual advertising surfaces; the DLCs won't 'explode' [emotional said] in costs, the route might look even more realistic and less people in DTG are needed for brain-storming concerning fictional ads. ;)

I am not an expert for the games market, but requesting other a bit smaller or a bit bigger companies in the games market would be an idea. TSW seems to have an pretty worldwide gamers group.
    Ads for something that can also be interessting for the players of TSW could be found very easy today, even without conducting own market analyses - you maybe know the category in the online shops: "other people [who downloaded this] also like ..."; small, maybe a bit shabby, but useful.
    As long as DTG won't block their own paths in expanding with other topics, it might work.
    Also some realy big companies have purchasers who are open to this idea. But to big companies obiviously bring the risk, that they try to hijack everything, ... somethimes at least.
    ... I had to kick out an docent one time from a bigger company who started to talk ... *nah other story* ;)

I am just a bit worried higher costs might choke the gain DLC by DLC and a spiral of less gains and higher costs for the DLCs might start. Also a lot of people - who take it realy emotional - won't come back to TSW and DTG that fast. So it is not that easy, like simple maths, by lowering the prices then again; ... if people are gone they won't notice. If people are angry, costs rise even more than in the tries not to make them angry.
    (Tested this fact - beyond the gaming market -, too.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  28. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

Only 5 mk1s was looking to take 10 up.
    All the 66 runs have consists hanging off the platform so why can't we take longer stuff up in custom

29. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

At the top of the Lickey incline just after the whistle board the track seems to turn quite sharply and it isn't super elevated. It might not supposed to be super elevated but it seems to sharp a turn for a 75mph limit. I reference this video from 3:17 in: . Although the HST is probably doing a much lower speed at this point than the 323 can manage it seems much more gentle a turn after the whistle board. Maybe it is just me?

30. Jamesclass37

Jamesclass37 New Member

Just found a new bug for me! Was driving very carefully due to the snow and slowed my train down somewhat but somehow I managed to forget to finish braking for Northfield. Of course WSP kicked in and I managed to completely overrun the platform. As the very rear of my cab was still in the marker, I decided to pretend to 'contact' the signaller and request permission to back up to the platform. Once I moved back, i performed the station tasks as normal. However, when I tried to depart, the signal ahead was red. I contacted the signaller using both the GSMR and the tab wheel to do so and got denied all times with the train off path message in the image below. I then closed my doors and began to depart slowly, trying the GSMR and menu again. Still the same message. Of course I then decided to pass the signal which of course kicked my out the game for a SPAD. The date of the scenario was today 19th November and the time can be seen in the screenshot, along with the service I was driving. I'm on the latest (when written) PC (Steam) build of TSW3 with no Cross City related MODs installed. On a laptop with an i7 and a GTX1070.

Attached Files:

31. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

This is not new, and may not be a bug. Once you pass a signal you can't reverse fully into the previous block. The dispatcher is unable to support such movements.

32. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Just in case you don't already know there is no or very little sound coming from the 323 in a very small patch of New Street Station. At the Lichfield end for me. I think I have seen someone else mention it already but it seemed about a patch 75 yards long as previously mentioned.

33. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

I noticed that the headlights on the 323 are already set up. Don’t know why they have configured the trains in this way on this route, considering that most U.K. routes so far let you set up headlight yourself when starting in timetable mode. Also there seems to be a rogue TPWS magnet just before Lichfield City station that keeps stopping my train even I’m below the 20mph sign.

34. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

I have also noticed when saving the game, the windscreen wipers have stopped, the pis on the front of the train has disappeared.

Observant things that others may have noticed at Lichfield City between platforms the pis states that the next train to Lichfield Trent Valley is a 2 car unit, thought it was a 3, and at Bromsgrove some of the scrolling pis on the platform is missing. Well certain words are missing anyway.

But all in all I remember playing this on BVE many years ago, and that was the best route for BVE back then. This is brilliant, and the detail and the train sounds are just brilliant too. It plays better than BML and SEHS 2, and even at Birmingham New Street the FPS are great, and this is on a PS4 Pro.

Woodhead Route next please DTG.

Thank You!

35. Factor41

If you do that and your train has already passed the signal, reverse back only as far as you can without the front of the train moving back behind the red light. You'll often have enough of the train along the platform to trigger the stop and get a decent amount of points, and you can't spad because you're not needing to pass the signal again when you leave.

I literally just did it at Chester Road, sailed past, backed up to just ahead of the red and still managed to get 485AP for the stop. Just don't forget to switch the forwarder back to forwards so you don't drop out the block when you set off! ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In reality you would get permission from the signaller to set back, if it's an automatic signal it should clear again if controlled the signaller would do so.

Of course what TSW doesn't show is that these days the signaller would need to speak with NR Control to report the incident, who then must tell the TOC Control, who then have to speak to the On Call Driver Manager he is happy for the driver to continue. That information then needs to be passed back along the chain before the train can move...

37. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

Not found a cat yet, but noticed the canal north of Selly Oak was still on three levels, even after the update.

38. dave55007

And can we have it backdated to the 1980s please?

39. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The route is already made. They're not going to remake a route from scratch just to set it in a different time period and definitely not for free. Don't know what trains would run there either. Basically creating a whole new dlc at this point.

40. dave55007

They did it with Great Western. Take down some of the OLE and its good to go mostly. As for trains - Class 47s, 45s would fit in. I'm also using 31's. Class 101s for passenger too. :)

41. martinv#5628

martinv#5628 New Member

When you set up the front cab and you turn the lights on to day/night, re the tail lights in rear cab automatically meant to turn on? If they are meant to automatically turn on, then they are currently not. Obviously, you would always have tail lights at the back, so I’m going to the back cab to turn them on manually myself.

42. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The tail lights on 323s aren't auto, these units are 30 years old now. You'd manually check them in real life too.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Bertil Persson

I think they try meet that request by creating rail tours. And Tees Valley line or the Trans Pennine might be for the same reason.

44. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

They didn't do it for GWE. It's literally the released route but with 1970s rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  45. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not really. Completely different trackage; what's in the TSW route is all wrong for the 1970s.

• Like Like x 1
  46. georgedonely9

georgedonely9 New Member

I love the feature of the ‘Local door’ panels on the 323 and they actually work! However when you turn t-key to the right to operate the panel, when pressing the ‘close door’ button it closes the local door too. In reality the door should be isolated and remain open whilst all other doors shut and the BIL lights extinguish. If this could be fixed so that door remains open and you then close it with the local door button that’d be great. I like to dispatch my trains whilst playing by giving a 2-2 to the driver on the bell buzzer, makes a great immersive feel to the game.

47. Factor41

Take down some of the OLE, don't run as many trains to Bromsgrove because there's no OLE, reduce the station at Bromsgrove back to its crappy 80s platforms, remove quite a bit of the double track between Barnt Green and Redditch so you can only run a reduced service in that direction as well, rebuild most of Selly Oak, including removing a lot of the student union buildings and the new QE hospital, add some crappier trains... mostly good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  48. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Not sure if this is already being looked at but PIS on the AI trains don’t work on SEHS, BCC.is this an issue that is known and will it be fixed?? Or is this the new norm. Not sure why they workes in BML and the font size were good and now on TSW3 the AI PIS don’t work and the PIS on the players train is too big.

49. MAX1319

I’m not sure what happened but the night lighting needs some work. We had gone backwards here and this needs to be looked at. Even at clear skies is pitch black with no lighting coming from light poles. We can’t go backwards. I thought in TSW3 this would had be a non-issue

• Like Like x 1
  50. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

When playing 'on foot' in the game, there is no PIS on the front or back off the trains, on any of the services on the Birmingham route, and also the case when reverting to a saved game.