Birmingham Grand Central

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ian1991, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

No one is yet to put Birmingham New street into the game. yet its the busiest station in the country with the most links to cross-country and local services.

I would like the WCML
    Birmingham-Euston

but open to any ideas so long as the major jub is put into the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JP_4468

JP_4468 Member

Firstly, New St is not the busiest station in the country, it's in the top 10 though for sure. Also in what Era would it be set I assume modern as you refer to it as Grand Central which in fact is the name for what was the Pallisades which once stood over New St IE the shopping centre part of the concourse and not the station itself

3. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Well 6th busiest then to be precise but certainly the busiest in the midlands which covers alot of england.

Modern era preferably, however to even have birmingham new street in the 90s/2000s would be good. Im just suprised that the UK'S 2nd city is the only major city to NEVER make it into TSW from dtg. I understand it maybe challenging but it alson would be for players.

4. JP_4468

JP_4468 Member

I suspect the murky world of licencing agreements are to be the stumbling block. The station itself may not be an issue at least now it's a Network Rail station. I'd imagine Virgin and/pr Avanti West Coast being the stumbing block it being a main hub of their operations. London Midland now being West Midlands Trains and London North Western. Arriva changing to Transport of Wales.

Having it set in BR era with the old station with BR Blue stock running through might not be bad, but that's a lot of research and trying to access photos of the old station now it is no longer. Whatever the era I know it just would not look right without both Local and National services being seen at the station. I'd love to see the Class 323 on the Cross City line running through either PRE or POST privatisation.

5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

If you search New Street, you'll see quite a few proposals which feature the station, including several variants of WCML and my own Cross City proposal. As mentioned above, I suspect the licences for Virgin, WM Trains, Cross Country etc are the barrier to getting this done and I don't really want it as yet another BR route.

• Like Like x 1