Bluebell Railway

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ehz0689, Nov 12, 2022.

1. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

My wife and I will be in London for our honeymoon in April. We will be staying near Tower Hotel which is 2 underground stops from London Victoria. I really want to visit the Bluebell Railway and Google says take the Southern Railway. Is that best way to do it or is there a better to get to the heritage railway? Also am curious if there is any other heritage railways that are closer to London. Unfortunately will not be able to travel to Wales and visit Talylln Hopefully next time I come to the UK.

2. Yes you can get a train direct from Victoria to East grinstead. The bluebell railways station is adjacent to east grinstead Station.
    There's the epping Ongar railway that's on the end of the central line in Essex although it's not open every weekend. There's a couple more heritage railways in Essex.

3. ehz0689

Google told me to get off at Crooksbridge and then take the bus to Bluebell.

4. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Trains depart Victoria half-hourly towards East Grinstead at 10 to the hour and 20 past the hour if you want to take that route as it is quicker as dangerousdave has said, the Bluebell is right next door to the Southern station so shouldn't be a problem, enjoy your trip when it comes :love:

5. ehz0689

So why did Google tell me to take the other way

6. ehz0689

Thank you for the help. That knocked off an hour from the trip and made it cheaper

7. TrainGeek08

I don't know, but I'd recommend ignoring Google's request of going to Cooksbridge/bus to Bluebell and take the train to East Grinstead ;)

8. TrainGeek08

No bother, I'm here to help ;)

9. I think Google is directing you to thier main station which i believe is Sheffield Park, where the engine sheds are. Although Horsted Keynes is the best looking I think. Its been used for a few period tv shows over the years.
    Check the timetable as I remember east grinsted trains being hourly on my last visit.

https://www.eorailway.co.uk/

That's the epping Ongar railway which is quite unique as it was originally a railway that was adopted by the London underground then closed and reopened as a heritage railway. You can catch the central line to epping then get a heritage bus to Ongar.

https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/article.php/27/tunbridge-wells-west-station

Or the spa valley railway which is accessible by train. From east Croydon to uckfield service on the old oxted line. If you get off at eridge the spa valley line shares the station with southern trains.

10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if it closer to London but the Watercress Line from Alton to Alresford in Hampshire is well worth a visit. You can get a train from Waterloo and the journey to Alton takes about an hour and 20 minutes. The Watercress Line station is next to the main line station. There are some good pubs in Alresford for lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TrainGeek08

Yeah the Mid-Hants sounds like a fantastic alternative to the Bluebell ehz0689