Borders Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Dec 18, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm back with the Borders Railway! Scotland's most recent railway line, and still, they made it diesel.

However, who in their right mind takes a soulless Class 320 running from Tweedbank to Edinburgh, over a 170? Not me.

That's exactly why I'm suggesting this route come with the Class 320 170, which is currently the most common unit on this line.

Without taking too long, let's begin!

Contents:
    • Route/Stations
    • Rolling Stock
    • Services
    The Route / Stations
    The Borders Railway, having opened in 2015, runs from Edinburgh (Waverley), in Lothian, to Tweedbank, in the Scottish Borders. The line runs for 35 miles, and 34 chains, with Eight stations in-between.

Edinburgh Waverley
    Copied from ECML North Thread; by me.
    [​IMG]
    Eastern End of the station, looking over the platforms. Edinburgh Castle is also visible here.

Edinburgh Waverley. Located near Princes Street, with taxi ranks coming off the seperate Waverley Bridge - where Bus connections are available - in Edinburgh's New Town (newer than the old town, having been built in the 18th and 19th centuries).

The station was opened in 1846, as part of the North British Railway, and went by the name of North Bridge. On 17 May, 1847, two stations - General Station (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway), and Canal Street (Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway) - opened. In April 1866, the North British Railway demolished the existing stations, and formed Edinburgh Waverley. 100 years later, in 1966, the station was renamed Edinburgh. At a later (unknown to me) date, the station was renamed to include Waverley once more.

The grand glass roof protecting the station from the (harsh, very harsh) Scottish weather, and the wonderful ticket hall, preserved to hold it's traditional looks, are only part of what give this station character.
    Most services to/from the station terminate, with all services (ScotRail) from the west terminating, bar a few exceptions. Many LNER services terminate here as well.

The station is the northern point of the East Coast Mainline, the primary connection between the capitals of Scotland, and England and the UK.

However, there is just far too much to put in here, however, if your interested, read up on the history of the station, it's very interesting, and the station is truly grand. The station's wikipedia article has a good amount of information, to start you off: Edinburgh Waverley railway station - Wikipedia

Brunstane
    Located just off the East Coast Mainline, Brunstane is our First Station from Edinburgh. Opened in 2002, and therefore pre-dating the Borders Railway (this is also why it has OHLE, as it's on a curve that connects to the ECML), the station serves the Suburbs of Edinburgh, Portobello and Brunstane.

The station's opening was part of 'Edinburgh Crossrail', which saw services operate from South Gyle/Edinburgh Park (and further destinations), through the city and out to Newcraighall.

Speaking of
    Newcraighall

Let's talk about Newcraighall. Newcraighall serves the Craigmillar and Newcraighall areas of Edinburgh,

Like Brunstane, this station opened in 2002, for the Edinburgh Crossrail, and served as it's Eastern Terminus. Historically, on the Waverley Route (To explain simply, it's the Original Borders Railway, which took the same route towards Galashiels and Tweedbank, however then continued across to Carlisle.), There never was a Newcraighall, although there were nearby stations.

Shawfair
    Opened in 2015, like all the stations from now on, (yes, I'll stop saying it.), Shawfair is our first station outside Edinburgh (Although it is within the Edinburgh Bypass Road). The station serves the town of Shawfair, Midlothian, and is actually a 2 platform station, however it becomes one shortly after at;

Eskbank
    Eskbank_station.jpg

I'm not doing too bad with these transitions today, huh?

Eskbank serves the town of the same name. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, aren't I?

The original station here opened in July, 1848 as Gallowshall, and renamed to Eskbank and Dalkeith in October of 1850. That station lasted until January 6, 1969, and it was until 2002 that the new one - located to the south of the original - opened.

Newtongrange
    In the town of Newtongrange, Midlothian lies our Fifth station, Newtongrange Station.

This town has a station on the Waverley Route, which opened on New Year's Day, 1908, and closed the day the railway closed, the 6th of January, 1969.

Gorebridge
    Gorebridge - in the town of the same name - is our final station before the line really begins to open up, and show it's rural side. And it's true beauty goes to show.

This station is just short of 12 miles away from Edinburgh, and the next station, Stow, is over 14 miles away from here.

Like the others, there was a station here in the past, which was open between July 14, 1847, and that day in 1969.

Stow
    53626333_RKBbPgUDQjiSgY9hbap8P0mZnxnq67En-dHFez-fOo4.jpg
    As I mentioned above, Stow is over 14 miles away from Gorebridge, and we are in borders at this point.

The station serves the town of Lauder, and the village of Stow of Wedale*, and, despite it's location, has two platforms. This allows trains to pass each other, and the platforms can also hold up to 8-cars.

The original station here lasted between 1848 (Nov 1st) and that day I keep having to mention, in 1969.

Galashiels
    The_Borders_Railway_at_Galashiels_Station_(geograph_4627824).jpg

Galashiels, located in the true heart of the borders, is one of the primary towns of the region. The station itself is across the street (literally) from the town's Bus Station, and the two facilities are collectively named "the Interchange"

The station features platform PIS systems, and all the other stuff that is standard throughout ScotRail's network.

There was - again - an original station here, located a bit to the south of the modern one, which, as with the rest, closed with the original line.

Tweedbank
    Tweedbank_station_(2).jpg
    The terminus of the Borders Railway, Tweedbank was the starting point of the line, quite literally, when the first service on the reopened line - the 08:45 to Edinburgh - left on the 6th of September, 2015.

It was widely celebrated, with some people arriving as early as 5am that day, and people travelling from places such as Kent, as the line was the longest domestic line opened in the UK in over a century.

The station today has some signs and plaques to commemorate the opening of the line - at Tweedbank - by the Queen, on the 9th, when she - as well as the Duke of Edinburgh and the First Minister (of Scotland) - were hauled in by the LNER Class A4 4488 Union of South Africa.

Tweedbank itself is a town/village to the East of Galashiels, and both of the town's are located in the heart of the borders, (relatively) near towns such as Kelso, Hawick and more.

The station has 2 platforms, with the platforms together in the middle, and the tracks outside.

Other Points of Interest:
    Craigentinny Train Maintenance Centre

Formerly run by LNER to service their Rolling Stock, Craigentinny TMD (Code: EC) is now run by Hitachi, to service their Class 800 and 801 (LNER), 385 (ScotRail), 802 (TPE) and 803 (Lumo) Units, they also look after Class 73s for Caledonian Sleeper. This depot dates back to 1904. Could have some empty carriages lying around, or could have proper locos/MUs sitting around, if appropriate stock becomes available.

Millerhill Marshalling Yard

Opened in 1962, to maintain DMUs operating in and around the region, Millerhill was located near the site of the former station of the same name, which closed later.

The Depot formerly held ScotRail Class 150's, before they left Scotland forever, and now looks after Class 37 and 66 Locomotives, as well as Class 156 and 158 DMUs. A site opened here for the Class 385 in 2018, as well.
    The 158, 66 and 37 could have some ECS to Edinburgh Waverley, as well as being Empty Stock.

Rolling Stock
    As a Diesel Route, and a new one at that, this route is primarily operated by DMUs, let's have a look.

Included:
    Class 170
    [​IMG]

The Class 170 'Turbostar' is one of ScotRail's DMUs, primarily found in the Highlands. However, when it's not in the Highlands, it's often here, the Borders Railway.

Constructed between 1998 and 2005 by Bombardier/ADtranz, as the core of the Turbostar family - similar in aspects to the Electrostar's, especially the 357 - the 170 has serves operators up and down Great Britain, and ScotRail is one of those.

A 170 once had a special livery for the Borders Railway - which could be found elsewhere, so it could just show up on an AI Service at Edinburgh, but it would be quite nice to see on this route, as well:
    _96507208_borders-railway-train-in-sc.jpg

Class 158
    [​IMG]

Similarly, the Class 158 is often found in the Highlands, but also can be found here. Build for British Rail for Express/Regional services, the Class 158's origin is in Scotland, as it was first introduced here, before spreading across the isle. The 158 'Sprinter Express' is also found on operators across the country, from GWR to Northern, SWR to ScotRail.

Layers
    In

Class 66 - ECS to/from Millerhill and Edinburgh, empty stock at Millerhill

Class 37 - Railtour Edinburgh - Tweedbank and Back, with ECS to/from Millerhill.

If ever made, the Class 334, 380, 385, (365, 68, both era depending), and LNER, TPE, Caledonian and Avanti WC stock could layer at Edinburgh and/or the ECML Section of the line.

Out
    Class 158 and 170
    - Cathcart Circle: AI at Glasgow Central, limited AI at Newton on WCML Tracks.

Services
    Driveable:

ScotRail:
    2tph • Edinburgh - Tweedbank
    Calling at: All Stations (Stow gets 1tph, with One passing)
    Class 170 • Class 158

Railtour:
    Note: this is my concept of a Railtour, there is no background to this at all (that I know of at least :))

ECS • Millerhill TMD - Edinburgh Waverley
    Leave the depot and couple to coaches at Waverley

Service • Edinburgh Waverley - Tweedbank
    Leave depot and couple to coaches at Waverley: Head down to Tweedbank

And then you would do near enough the same thing in reverse later on, but take the carriages to the depot with you.

Class 66 ECS to/from Millerhill.

AI Services:
    (Only visible at Edinburgh unless stated)
    1tph • Edinburgh - Glenrothes with Thornton
    Class 170/158

2tph* • Edinburgh - Edinburgh via Fife
    Class 170/158
    *1 per direction around the Fife Circle

1tph • Edinburgh - Cowdenbeath
    Class 170/158

1tph • Edinburgh - Arbroath
    Class 170/158

1tph • Edinburgh - Perth and Inverness
    Class 170/158 {43 if ever available}

Using stock not yet in game, if it's ever made:

2tph • Edinburgh - Milngavie
    {Class 334}

2tph • Edinburgh - Helensburgh Cent.
    {Class 334}

2tph • Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street via Cumbernauld
    {Class 385}

4tph • Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk
    {Class 385}

2tph • Edinburgh - Glasgow Central via Shotts
    {Class 380/385}

1tp2h* • Edinburgh - Glasgow C. via Carstairs
    {Class 380/385} (ScotRail)

1tp2h* • Edinburgh - Glasgow C. via Carstairs
    {Class 220/221} (CrossCountry)

*CrossCountry and ScotRail operate service on alternate hours.

1tph • Edinburgh - North Berwick
    Visible along ECML-Borders Railway joint section
    {Class 385/380}

1tph • Edinburgh - Dunbar
    Visible along ECML-Borders Railway joint section
    {Class 385/380}

2tph • Edinburgh - Dunblane
    {Class 385}

1tph • Edinburgh - Aberdeen
    {Class 43 I7C}

LNER and TPE also run here.

Conclusion
    Why? It's just some rolling hills, a few towns and that, what's so special about it, why should dovetail make this over my route?

Well, my friend, this route, it's just pleasant.

The rolling hills, the rural villages, the trees, the farmlands, they all add up for a truly beautiful train ride through nature. Also - I was in the borders last Sunday, so I chose to do this suggestion :D

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think. Are you a fan of the Borders Railway? Would you prefer it didn't exist? Feel free to let me know.

Anyway, as always: Thanks for Reading.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There was a cab ride of this route from a 158 kicking around on YT and it does look to be a nice run.

Would also pave the way for a "Spirit Of Steam" version with the entire Waverley route through to Carlisle, maybe throw in some Class 17 Claytons too!

3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I've travelled on this route in real life, it's quite scenic but not particularly busy, also having a very linear A to B feel. There's plenty more interesting Scottish routes to make first in my opinion, but having a version of this route in it's entirely (either backdated to before closure or as a hypothetical fully reopened route based in the near future) might be a tad more interesting (although that would make it over 70 miles long :|).

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea and if it went down to the original Terminus at Carlisle it can be sold with WCML over Shap if made for TSW2 as Preston to Edinburgh via Carlisle bundle.

5. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I love this line, it's so lovely :)
    This is something I would love as we don't normally get long stretches without stations for just driving :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1