Br 406 And 185.5 Pantographs Usage

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

With multisystem locomotives (and EMUs) you can sometimes see multiple (more than 2) pantographs present for use. From what I know they're sometimes separated for AC/DC use or there's an extra set of narrow pantographs for use in Switzerland.
    Is there anyone here familiar with Br 406 and 185.5 enough to explain, why these specifically have 6 and 4 pantographs respectively? And is there any possibility to use all of them (not at once)? (I can only control 2 on both vehicles)

2. TS_trainspotter

TS_trainspotter Active Member

I don't know how to control the ones on the ICE, but on the 185.5, on the central display (the one with the speedometer) there sould be a button on the lower side with a label (it should be 6 or 7), if you click it, it then brings you to a list of railway operators, and everyone has its own voltage and dedicated pantograph. OBB, DB and some other ones will use the central pantographs (choose which one with the lever on the back of he cab), while SBB will make you raise the first and/or the last pantograph. Be aware that not all companies will let you lift the pantographs, and even if you manage to lift them, neither of the companies (except DB) will let the loco draw power from the overhead wires.

3. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I've seen heavy freight locos on 1500V DC lines running with two pantographs up, I've assumed this is so they can draw the larger number of Amps needed. All the lines so far in TSW2 are high voltage AC, but the ICEs (at Cologne, at least) can run under 1500V DC, which may occasionally be needed on subsidiary SNCB lines.

4. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Heavy train, difficult start, strong wind, heating set
    If one of these situations occurs, it is possible to have both pantographs raised up to a speed of 50 km / h even in dry weather. The reason is the need for a more favorable current distribution, or a reduction in sparking at the point of contact between the contact wire and the slider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Richard CZE

If the trolley is icy, both pantographs can be lifted, with the front crushing the ice and the rear drawing current. However, both pantographs can be raised to a maximum speed of 50 km / h

6. Richard CZE

Multi-voltage locomotive. It also has four pantographs.
    IMG_20200714_180011.jpg

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So each "pair" (inner/outer) is dedicated for different current systems?

8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I believe (and I am not an expert) that the BR185 can only run under AC. One pair is likely for Germany, and the other one for Switzerland (due to different regulations for the current collector width, as said before the Swiss one is a bit more narrow).
    The ICE3M can run under DC as well, which would explain the second pair of pantographs in addition to the German standard (DC needs a different type of current collector (the part of the pantograph that has contact with the overhead wire) than AC). I don't believe the 3M runs to Switzerland, so the third pair could be something specific for Netherlands, Belgium or France (possibly for another DC system, difference between 1.5kV and 3kV). Please correct me if I'm wrong!

9. Richard CZE

You're right. One set of pantograph is for alternating current and the other set for direct current. Direct current pantographs have a different composition of material (carbon with copper admixture) on the slider. It applies more pressure to the contact wire. A larger electric current flows through the pantograph. It also has a larger contact area. The AC pantograph has a carbon-enriched copper slider. It also has less electric current flow and less pressure on the contact wire. I used a compiler hopefully we will understand.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Richard CZE

My photo is a Siemens Vectron locomotive. 3000V DC contact wire power supply.