PC Br Class 31 Is The Bees Knees!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Nov 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I hope that's an authentic period expression for this authentic period engine.

As soon as it downloaded yesterday, I took on the tutorial and experienced admiration at first climb. I'm referring to climbing aboard -- an experience that has to be performed in order to be appreciated. And it doesn't get old.
    Once in the cab, as always, I reached over with my trusty mouse and clicked the still open door, which sounded off with a very solidly convincing slam.
    The startup sequence(s) are well covered in this tutorial, although, as usual, they do not match the Quick Start Guide printed in the manual: no mention in the tut of handbrake, cab changeover lever, running lights, an several other items.
    This is, by the way, a driving and shunting scenario. It also includes changing points, but does not describe them as such and one very important one has been left out -- I'll let others discover which one. Overall, this strikes me as the best tutorial yet created by DTG.

After the tutorial, I began one of the scenarios, receiving bonus distracting points for everything except picking my nose; the call to dinner kept me this, but I'll do so soon and post another report. In both tutorial and scenario sound and graphics are exceptional, but I couldn't identify the quack-like noises, which may have come from passing road traffic or unseen trains.
    So far, this is at the top of my best DLC list. Thanks to all DTG folks who have made it possible.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to add love for the Class 31. I like the weathered and almost rusty look of it, it sounds great (from the outside at least), and I really enjoy driving it. It has added some life into the TVL, which I had to admit was near the bottom of my list in time played.

Did the tutorial (which I agree was pretty good actually), and then ran the 9:05 cement service from Tees Yard to Darlington. The yard looks much more full with the new cement wagons in it, and I actually had to wait at a red signal leaving the yard as I waited for a CL37-led steel train to pass by on the main. Waited at another red a few miles up the track for about 15 min (the same steel train from before was stopped in the next block), and I was worried it was a bug for a little bit, but eventually a Saltburn-bound 101 trundled through and we were able to proceed.

The only downside for me so far has been the in-cab sounds. The actual sounds in the cab are fine (door slam is especially great as mentioned, but also the various levers and switches sound nice), but the engine noise is way too muffled, even with the windows open. I hope they can adjust the mix a little bit.

• Like Like x 7
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

While driving in the cab, I can hear lots of environmental sounds: horns honking, animals (duck, cow?) sounding off, etc., and there's a lot of "clutter" around the yard tracks: machinery, etc.
    This is definitely the best engine add-on available, especially for freight and shunting enthusiasts.
    BTW: the engine noise heard in the cab seems loud enough to me.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Major Baldy

Major Baldy New Member

Can you clarify if the Class 31 can also be used on the NSR? I'm considering buying this.

5. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

If you mean West Somerset, then yes it is substituted on WSR.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Disintegration7

But if you mean NTP, sadly no....

7. hightower

hightower Guest

But why that’s the case has been explained, is being worked on, and will hopefully not be the case forever.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Sooner or later someone will swap the Class 31 into NTP and then we'll be able to see what a hit on resources it is. I suspect it'll be fine on PC.

9. hightower

hightower Guest

That’s not what the issue is though, is it? It’s not the loco that’s the problem but the adding of a whole other service layer. My understanding is that the addition of another layer with any given loco would tip whatever these memory problems are over the edge.

Substitution (as works with the 31 on WSR) will only work on a finite number of services (supposedly) as the 31 is not powerful enough to single handedly haul the NTP freight and they can’t substitute a single 45 for two 31s for example.

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck, but at least deal with the facts.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Disintegration7

Yeah i know, but it's still a bummer. I'm on Xbox so no mods for me. Hopefully DTG can make it work at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

We have a .pak file that enables the Class 33 to run on the TPR. runs a treat no problems albeit only offers up on passenger timetable scenarios . Also the 101 on GWR, class 52 on TPR etc etc..
    TSW should produce these and charge a few dollars each, they are making the TSW a much much more appealing game and extremely good value to buy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  12. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Paying extra $ for substitution options? No way.

• Like Like x 6
  13. jetgriff

yes but the almighty $$ rules DTG so the only way to get what we need is to offer an incentive.. otherwise we will have to pay big for each loco for each route.

14. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

That would be a disgusting business practice. That would cross a limit for me.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

That really depends on price and usefulness. If one spends time on something like that, he could also 'ask' for a free donation.
    For IL2 Sturmovik there are hobby-ist made manuals for the editor every body refers to. One of them has over 4000 downloads,
    and i would buy it if the author charges you for it, it's that good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hightower

hightower Guest

I appreciate what you’re getting at but a whole bucket-full of no. Someone has cleverly hacked files to run out-of-place stock on different DLCs, but to pay for that privilege having already bought the loco and DLC separately? Absolutely not.

Running whatever stock on whatever route is the bread and butter for the editor if (and when) it is ever released.

Put another way, I’m assuming you’ve played TS1 at some point? Would you have been happy to pay money each and every time you wished to use a given loco on a route different to the one it came with? The very concept of that is absolutely bonkers!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  17. thearkerportian

Next you'll be suggesting to put substitution options into lootboxes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jetgriff

Yes that was going to be my next suggestion.
    Who upset you today, at least I come here to talk TSW not try to prove how much smarter at making sarcastic remarks to fellow members I am
    There are special forums for Trolls to ply their remarks, please use them...

• Like Like x 2
  19. thearkerportian

I was not trolling in the slightest. Have you taken a look at these substitution mods? Single to double digit kilobyte sizes, we're almost literally talking about a few checkboxes that need to be ticked. 10 seconds of work per service. And you would pay money for that. Heck I could probably reproduce the mod myself after a bit of looking into the subject.

• Like Like x 3
  20. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Please do young man, Class 52 on the GWML and Green Brush Type 4 from WSR on the NTP :cool: :cool:

21. LastTrainToClarksville

Where are these pak files and how are they used?

22. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

23. Anthony Pecoraro

I do like the Class 31. It’s a nice addition to TVL.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Anthony Pecoraro

There is a sound bug, where in certain numbers of the 31 there are no engine sounds. DominusEdwardius can explain it.

25. hightower

hightower Guest

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I wont rain on your parade but this loco just doesn’t sound exciting; I read your thread with anticipation; I always read what people say before purchasing any TS addon.

But something doesn’t feel 100% with this; again its just another loco. Filler content; instead of a UK route that we can all identify with. Just saying; it’s not a dig or a complain just still wish for more with TSW.

27. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

The loco is nice overall, model, sounds I'll give a 9/10 or more. As always for the latest DTG packages, the gameplay part is a shame. Well under-utilized. 3 scenarios + 2 back and forth timetable scenarios, one for passengers and one for freight (repeated 3 times, but still..). I feel that for a paying DLC this is just a joke.

28. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

I'm considering buying either class 31 or 52 to spend the steam coupon I've got, but can't decide which one to go for. I like 52 more and it adds new scenarios to wsr. But 31 is usable on 2 routes. From what I've read so far, class 31 does not add new scenarios to wsr, is that correct? I'd like to go back to wsr over the holidays.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  29. thearkerportian

31 works on three routes, actually - TVL, WSR and ECW. Every loco brings new scenarios only to the route it was meant to go with though, which in the 31's case, is Tees Valley.

• Like Like x 2
  30. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Welp, I couldn't decide, and my coupon was revoked due to some previous refund, so I needed to spend more money to get the discount anyway, and long story short - I purchased both. Happy new year to me, yaay :)

• Like Like x 5
  31. LastTrainToClarksville

Hijacked again! Do you hitchhikers out there not know how to start your own threads?

• Like Like x 1
  32. thearkerportian

Well I'd consider the question whether loco A or B is more worth buying not entirely off topic in a thread about loco A ;)

• Like Like x 3
  33. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d agree.

What is the thread for otherwise? Everyone to simply come and wax lyrical about the Class 31 and absolutely nothing else, under any circumstances?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  34. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Hijacked or not, this thread lacks pictures, so here's a fresh one with my brand new locos. TSW_Dragan_1577747641_00.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  35. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

The 31 is nice, thank goodness it was fixed.

(Now we just need the 66 fixed. So realistic hearing wagon noises in the cab, windows closed in notch8)

The 31 is great yeah but id have to say the best pack is still heavy freight, just so much there on a fantastic route

jetgriff may be referring to scenario packs, which is fine... god knows this game needs somthing more.

But this is not the total answer ofcourse... the dreaded " E " word is

36. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

For passenger services, class 31 is pulling class 101 instead of passenger wagons. Is this due to some of the game's technical limitations or is it like that in real life?

37. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's not a technical issue, as you can run the Class 31 with coaches on other routes, it's just a decision made by DTG. They could have included Mk2s from NTP, but they instead decided to use the Class 101. It's a substitution service for a failed Class 101, so both a DMU drag or coaches are realistic.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  38. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Class 31 is probably my favourite loco in the sim love it

• Like Like x 2