Br363 Use In Werdohl-elverlingsen Power Station (ruhr Sieg Nord)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FD1003, Dec 5, 2020.

?
  1. No, Trains don't go there anymore so it would ruin my experience/immersion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I'd like it added to the scenario designer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I'd like if more timetable services used that area (+scenario designer)

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. No, The BR363 is the wrong switcher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think the fact that we got a switcher for Ruhr Sieg Nord, and yet no use for the awesome Werdohl power station is crazy.

I know that "Werdohl-Elverlingsen power station was a 330-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

In March 2018, plant owner Enervie said it would retire the coal plant by the end of the month."
    [source]

But I also know that this picture:
    2e7a0fec-d161-4e7c-a367-f220e1ee10ca.jpeg
    Is not representative of a dismissed power plant, which is fair considering the date when the route was created.

This thread of the official route release is from the 9th of October, 2018 so it's fair to assume that the route represents a time when there were coal trains operating at the power station.

51:52
    “because [routes] snapshot a moment in time, they almost immediately become a historical record of sorts...”

Well, a snapshot (or historical record) of early 2018 on Ruhr Sieg Nord would include a BR155 that gets some coal cars up to the yard (already existing services in TSW) with a switcher which will bring them to the power station.

-but the 363 is the wrong switcher, it never operated there
    Just like the BR422 on the Köln S-Bahn.

So why not? It would not add a new layer to RSN, just services to the existing layer, would open up a wonderful area of an older route and increase by a lot the value of the 363... I'd like for you to at least consider it, please, it would be so cool.

At the very least let us use it in the scenario designer...

If you really want to be greedy, I want to let you know I would buy a scenario pack for 2/3€ if you think it would require too much work...

At least can you tell me why wasn't it added? it just makes me so sad... I always loved this part of the route and I always hoped it would be put to use one day :(

1024px-Werdohl_-_Kraftwerk_Elverlingsen_21_ies.jpg
    Little Diesel Shunter at the power plant, courtesy of Frank Vincentz [source]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. TS_trainspotter

TS_trainspotter Active Member

I'd like this very much :) but, having seen the latest roadmap, we're getting the Ludmila for TSW2, and I was thinking what it could unlock: to me it would be nice if it unlocked Elversingen power station, since it's the only place that we can't reach by train on RSN, so this place probably relays on the Ludmila to have trains :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that different loco add-ons never interact. For example: The Caltrain MP15DC switcher does not interact with any MP36/Bi-level cab cars in any way. As the coal cars are part of the Br 155 add-on, the Br 232 will most likely not have any interaction with them. Only way I see Ludmilla coal trains happening is if we got new coal cars with it which is unlikely as we already got coal cars with the Br 155.

• Like Like x 4
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This can't go on for much longer... as more and more DLCs will come (such as the BR101 with probabily some IC coaches) we would get to a point where this system is no longer sustainable... especially for freight. I reckon that "Matt's secret project" could be an overhaul for the layer/substitution system and will allow much more freedom... because we are starting to see the shortcomings of this system... would that mean that every future DLC for SPG won't be able to use the Dash 8's coal cars?

I guess I'm starting to understand the pain of the british fans which have already a lot of rolling stock assigned to loco DLCs such as the Class 52, 37, Heavy Freight, etc...

How hard (if possible) would it be to "tie" the new cars to a specific route (like adding a new "vanilla" rolling stock to the route) but being able to use those cars only in the services with the "new" loco, or simply add the same coal car to the BR363 DLC and download it again so you have a version that works with the 363?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Lamplight

Correct me if I‘m wrong, but I think the Dostos we‘ve got have always been re-released. The Dostos that come with MSB for example are not the same ones that the Br 182 DLC comes with even though they are in real life. So yes, the Dostos coming with the Br 112 will probably be a re-release that is locked to the Br 112.
    I can understand the reasoning behind it though. Imagine the outcry in the forums if a new loco add-on is realeased but you have to own another loco add-on to get all of its services. I can already see the countless threads complaining about it.
    With that being said, I do agree that some change in this regard would be nice. I love the coal cars coming with the Br 155 and it‘s sad to think that the few services on RSN (which don‘t even interact with the power plant this thread is about) are all we‘ll probably get out of them. Same thing for the 3 bay coal hoppers coming with the Dash 8 you mentioned. I just struggle to think of a way to implement this without it turning into a PR nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sorry I worded my previous post incorrectly.

What I meant was, for example, the BR155 is released, as part of the update to "prepare the game for the DLC" you download the new cars to the base game (almost as they were a new free addition to the route itself), but the only services that uses them are the one that are unlocked if you have the BR155.

My second idea was simply, you download the BR363 DLC, and in that DLC there are the cement cars and the coal cars so the loco can interact with both.

If DTG hasn't adopted any of these systems there must be a reason... for the first option I can understand, if PC modders are already unlocking the new services that come with the 363 they surely could get unwanted access to this content and that could detract sales and value for any particular DLC (especially on PC)...

And the second option simply would be very inefficient to download the same thing again and again just for compatibility's sake...

But at the same time it would be a shame if we won't able to use for example the BR101 IC wagons with any other loco, such as the MRCE 182 or any future addition...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  7. Lamplight

I think you already answered why DTG won‘t do any if these yourself.
    The first option could lead to people unlocking them on PC when they haven‘t bought the add-on as you said. But it would also mean this: If loco add-on A has a specific car and loco add-on B also uses them (as that car is now part of the base route), then the people who bought loco add-on A had to pay for a car while people who bought loco add-on B didn‘t have to pay for them. I don‘t know if this could be problematic in a legal way, but it could be problematic for PR. The second option would have a similiar issue of paying twice for the same car (not what‘s happening but I wager that is how many people would perceive it).
    I think in the end, DTG simply doesn‘t want to do any of these options for one simple reason: They made a 3D model of the car which cost time and money and you are supposed to buy that specific add-on to get it with no trickery of getting it some other way. Other add-ons come with other cars and you keep them all tidied up in their specific add-on with no inter-dependence or compatibility.

I just want to repeat that I am very much in favour of what you suggest, I‘m just trying to find the reasons as to why DTG doesn‘t do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I know... I just tried to re write my post a little bit better... hopefully a solution will be found at the end DTG is the developer and if they figure such addition would be good for the game hopefully they'll find a way to make it happen

• Like Like x 2