Branching Out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Ok anyone that's been here a few years and doesn't skip past my posts (or has outright blocked me) would probably know I've often harped on about being "strictly a UK rail guy" (and I still am to a point)

Well last couple of weeks I decided to re-tick my US and GER DLC content that's mostly come with bundles and have a mess about with some different traction and scenery, and my lack of knowledge or relatability has been quite refreshing and freeing.

I don't know what to expect of US or GER content so initially I wasn't bothered what the scenery looked like or how the traction performed but as is so often the case with TS you soon start wondering what's considered the best out there.

So what I'd greatly appreciate from you US/GER and other aficionados is route recommendations, especially with this mini High Iron Simulations Steam sale on at the moment is there a must have route that I should get?

Also regarding rolling stock where should I find the "AP" of US and GER content?

Don't particularly want to leave other countries out if there is content worth grabbing at the very least it can go on my wishlist for the next big sales. (I was even mildly tempted to get the Trainz22 because of the AUS route, still well and truly on the fence with that though)

Here is what I own already.

US Routes:
    Donner Pass Southern Pacific
    Miami West Palm Beach
    North Jersey Coastline
    Feather River Canyon
    Peninsula Corridor San Francisco – San Jose
    Clinchfield Railroad: Elkhorn City - St. Paul
    Sherman Hill and Battle for Sherman Hill

GER Routes: (I apologise if any of these aren't German, my European knowledge is abysmal)
    Hamburg Hannover
    Hamburg Lubeck
    Hamburg S1 S-Bahn
    Mittenwaldbahn: Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Innsbruck
    Norddeutsche-Bahn: Kiel - Lübeck
    Im Köblitzer Bergland

As always any input is greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

It's not in the current sale, but I would highly recommend the Montana Hi-Line route. It is beautifully done and captures the wide-open prairie scenery of the area very well with its characteristic grain elevators. There is also a very good scenario pack.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll check that out.

4. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

I’m not that clued up on US railroads, but for the AP of German content I would nominate Virtual Railroads. They have high quality versions of many German locos, some of which are on steam but can all be found through their website. Although there are certainly other producers who make AP standard rolling stock, I would recommend checking out RailTraction for one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tyren Engineer

Tyren Engineer New Member

If you wanna have some realistic engine sounds and physics for some US locomotives, try checking out the enhancement section at https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/products . It's really the best sounds anyone can offer for any of these US diesels locomotives in this game.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Downloaded all their freebies so this was a great shout already, thanks.

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm completely lost there, I'll have to wait until I get a route or a loco I like and get familiar with and only then look for related content to it from there.
    I'll add them to my wishlist, thanks

Quite a dizzyingly high requirements list especially when the majority means nothing to me (as in recognisable) will look into it more though for sure.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Thanks, will look into them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Here are some sites I'd recommend for US freeware, which a lot of them do require DLC to run.
    https://utscreations.weebly.com
    UTS is relatively new but is trying to basically revolutionize American freeware content. After premiering with the F40PH overhaul, there's not too much up right now, but a lot will be coming down the road.

https://trurailsimulations.wixsite.com/mysite/locomotives
    TruRail Simulations, while now defunct, is still a good place to get some quality reskins, usually packed with extra features.

https://clearsignalmods.wixsite.com/clearsignalmods
    Clear Signal Mods doesn't have too much up, but their recent content is pretty solid.

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/mods/c1-train-simulator
    A hub site that has a lot of content for different simulators, but you can find a lot of solid reskins there.

http://golden-age-rails.com
    Home of the many oldies but goldies that have been around since the beginning of the sim. Some of these have been tried to be repackaged now as "new" (the GP9s specifically) from High Iron Simulations, but I'd just recommend getting them here, since they have a £0 price tag.

https://www.dsgddr.com.br
    If you wanna step back in time a little bit DSGDDR has made some impressive transition era steam models, most of them being PRR, which means they're perfect for Horseshoe Curve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Thanks, great list and descriptions will definitely take a look.

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

For Germany these are two that are stunning in their accuracy, and perhaps the two most picture perfect in the entire Tsc cannon:

Konstanz Hausach
    Münster Bremen

• Like Like x 3
  13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Me again..

Anything worth me getting off the RSSLO steam sale?

14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I picked up the route from Villach into Slovenia. Seems to get good reviews on Steam and what I’ve seen so far looks nice. Downer is only the one loco and the Eurofima coaches don’t have a passenger view but for the sale price not bad. I might clone the scenarios and swap in the DB BR189 which is one of my favourite locos in TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

Reef, most US freeware routes use Sherman Hill, which you have, Marias Pass, Penn Coal. Some also use Stevens Pass.
    The sites listed in posts above are fine for rolling stock but you should look at the Railworks America (RWA) site Route Collection in their file library where there are a number of excellent freeware routes. I would recommend Adriana County and Majestic Falls. They are not long but have plenty of scenarios and are excellent routes to familiarise with North American signalling etc. Another excellent route is Maine Maritime also freeware.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Reef, many German freeware routes utilise 2 other freeware routes mainly for their assets, the layouts are excellently designed but they are old-ish, but, certainly have lots of playability, and there are plenty of community designed scenarios in German and English for you to choose from. Go onto the German website that Peter suggested above and look for Hagen – Siegen Version 3.1.4 and Altenburg-Wildau Version v.3.12.
    RSSLO routes are OK, however, he uses the same track for virtually every layout and much of the old Kuju vegetation, the German community have done upgrades to nearly all of these routes over the years, have a look on the German website and also on another one called Filebase - Railomanie and have a look at what is available, you may need some payware DLC routes, Konstanz - Villingen was a very good offering from virtualRailroads, but, like everything else in this game, to get freeware routes you need to spend money on getting payware assets, that is inevitable, you need deep pockets.

Cheerz. Steve

• Like Like x 1
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It would be a Downer if you were new to the game and have never purchased anything before - apart from the EL&AP - which is a requirement.

The amount of people that look at a new route as a stand alone and not the potential it has.
    And is it a problem because the Default coaches don't have a passenger view?
    Some of the passenger views are pointless as sometime there is only one coach with the view.

18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Hey no need for the attitude Peter, I quite like the product but am not going to hold back with honest constructive feedback. I already mentioned about swapping in loco and maybe stock from another route.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is the fact that people complain when a route only comes with a limited amount of stock/scenarios.
    And some people will turn down a route because of that - even though other locos/stock/scenarios are available.