Brightline West

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Cyclone, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Stumbled upon a line on the Open Railway map near Barstow, when looking up stuff to do with Cajon Pass. It had this name on it. Went to Wikipedia and found an article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline_West

Looks like we will have some high speed rail to Las Vegas from Victorville. If we need a reason to revisit this area (other than the Los Angeles to San Bernardino, which would still be nice from a scenery perspective), we have it. There is a huge history behind it and it's high speed. As I've seen said before, driving fast is fun.

It doesn't start until 2024, so we might not know a lot about trains to run on it yet. But provided it's not just one stop and there are other stops along the way, it's some good US passenger rail.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

Sounds interesting. Hope it works out!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

A revamped Cajon Pass route would be a fantastic addition to TS2021. Too bad we can't get BNSF or ATSF. I'd love the US High Speed Line as well (both in game and in real life). I've read that there are plans to have several lines throughout the US.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cyclone

• Like Like x 1
  6. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

The California HSR project is completely different from the Brightline West project. One is a north-south route from LA to San Jose, the other is a east-west route from Las Vegas to LA, with plans to the CAHSR outside LA at Palmdale.
    CAHSR has been under construction since 2016, and has been delayed due to funding cuts and construction issues.
    Brightline West was announce this year, and afaik, construction has not been started yet.
    https://buildhsr.com/
    https://www.gobrightline.com/west-coast-expansion

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

Interesting. I got the name looking at the Open Railways map and it referred to the line going into Victorville from the Nevada border. The line you are referring to I have no knowledge of. Maybe the line was given the "abandoned" label for Brightline, not sure.

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

As of right now the California HSR is cut back to only the segment between Bakersfield and Merced, and has been a pain in the *** to local residents and businesses for years (There's a road that has been closed for years for an overpass to be built over the existing BNSF and future HSR rails and its still not complete...).

But enough ranting about that, this is about the Brightline West Route, which honestly might be a bore, as its original configuration is 170 miles between Las Vegas and Victorville, with those 2 being the only stops on the route. Not to mention they are most likely not gonna be anywhere near the UP tracks for most of the route as well. Coupled with the endless desert landscape, there might not be much to the route.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Cyclone

Valid point. Was curious what was known about it in any case. I'd much prefer to see Toronto, Ontario anyway.

• Like Like x 1