Bring On The Woodhead Line Again With Yer Ol' Class 76/77 Locos

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, May 12, 2022.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

According to the description,
    Running from Sheffield to Manchester via the rugged landscape of the Pennines, the Woodhead Line was electrified way back in the early 1950s with the Class 76 electric locomotive being built especially for the line.

A major feature of the route is the Woodhead Tunnel system, comprising three tunnels (the third being added specifically for the electrification of the line) to enable the line to run through the hilly landscape of the northern Peak District. The Class 76 electric locomotive was first produced as a prototype (6701) in 1941, with full production beginning in 1950 in Manchester. Under British Rail, Class 76s hauled freight and passenger services along the Woodhead Line until 1970, after which they handled only freight workings.

Now closed to traffic since 1981, the Woodhead Line and its tunnels are still a regular destination for rail enthusiasts and hikers, and they have now been brought back to life in Train Simulator.

----------------------

So this was the most un-usual experience I had in your train simulator. the electric loco's were very steampunk and bizarre. This route is set during a very heavy and intense industrial revolution like period. The old grunk is seen here two moving things around with the old rusty and nosy vintage freight cars as seen in the Pennies DLC. Wouldn't mind see it again but In TSW2.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Oh yeah!

Good old Woodhead Line was one of my favourite routes in Train Simulator. The older DLC I mean. I never was a fan of the newer iteration in the BR Blue era with half of the stations shut down. I'd like to experience the route again, in it's full glory.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Day 1 for me.

As being discussed in another thread, this could give a new UK freight focused route especially if Wath Yard included. Trying to recall if that had a hump? Sorry got a bit of a fetish for “humping” at the moment after a few evenings in Run 8!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I do have a thing for vintage electrics, so I’d be very interested in this route.

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Yes and furthermore if DTG has the Dutch Railways NS licence Class 77 Woodhead Line can be reskinned as NS1500 locomotive like this one. Or Alternative Paint Scheme for Class 77 1.5kv DC
    [​IMG]
    If one owns Woodhead Line with a Dutch German cross border route which Eindhoven Venlo Monchengladbach and pre 2016 Duisburg Oberhausen Emmerich Am Rhein Arnhem Utrecht. Class 77 NS1500 sits at Venlo & Emmerich Am Rhein waiting for DBB BR110 103 010 001 044 052 086 095 Railtour Steam DR DDR Dampflok 18 201 52.80 65.10 50.40 (Possible DLC for Tharandter Rampe) electric 211 242 Diesel 119 132 to carry the service on to the Dutch side

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Yes please. If I recall, these locomotives took a little skill to drive. As some of you may be aware, I have a soft spot for long gone routes and traction types around the UK system as can be found in other of my threads. The more the better as in some cases, very little remains for todays enthusiast to enjoy so a digital rendering would be a great alternative.

7. Lamplight

Inspired by this thread, I took a look at the Class 76 in TSC on YouTube and all I'll say is: Yes, please! That's a true vintage electric and I'd love to have a chance at driving it in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

In that case, you might want to look at the Class 86 and 87 in TSC, as those are equally interesting to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lamplight

Thanks for the tip. They don’t quite have the same charm as the 76 but are still right up my alley.