British Lightweights, A First Gen Dmu Pack:

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Oct 3, 2022.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Hi, American who likes British trains here, with the Recent release of TSW3 Loco DLC will now be available separate from Routes, which is cool, so I'm here to suggest a Pack with a Few First Gen British DMUs cause the 101 is getting old,

--Preamble--
    before we begin let me give some tidbits real quick,
    I tried to select at least 1 DMU to represent a Region available in game of course some of them were found elsewhere but if it was Prominent in 1 region I Included it,
    I Also tried to select DMUs that would have been used on Multiple routes, not one 1 specific route
    I Will mostly mention the region the DMUs worked in rather than the Specific routes, so go get a brush up of what regions the Historical British routes in game are located in, I will however mention a specific route in certain circumstances,
    finally, my source for most of this information is RAILCAR.co.uk i think they are very reliable and a great place to find info on these DMUs in fact I recommend you have a separate tab open with it so you can read about the DMUs alongside this,
    with all that said let's get onto the

--DMUs--
    -BR Class 104-

I Chose the Class 104 to act as the All Around DMUs and can be found almost every historical route, of course in the early days these 2-4 Car DMUs were common on the LMR and the Buxton line, but later on they got distributed just about Everywhere, from their Charming Looks to the engines that power them sounding like a Classic Mack Truck the 104s would be a very fine addition to the TSW Roster
    BR Class 104.jpg

-BR Class 108-
    I had trouble choosing a DMU to represent the LMR and NER I Ultimately chose the Class 108 to Represent both, these 2-4 Car DMUs where delivered to the LMR and to the ER, ER Sets could have up to 4-Cars in a set whilst the LMR only received 2-Car sets, later on around the mid 80s when most other DMU types were being withdrawn they did get distributed here and there like the WR and Scottish,
    a simple addition yet would be nice,
    BR Class 108.jpg

-BR Class 117-
    The Class 117s were chosen to represent the Western Region, in the early years (and through most of their years) theses 3-Car DMUs operated commuter trains around the Paddington/Reading Area and throughout most of the WR and a little bit of the SR, around 1995 some would gain Allocations to Penzance so a Bit of working on West Cornwall can work, overall, this should've been in Diesel Legends instead of the 101, it's never too late to have them in the game though ;)
    BR Class 117.jpg

-BR Class 121-
    this was added post posting the post but I think they deserve a spot to represent one of the Bubble Cars,
    The Class 121 in Essence is just a Single Unit Class 117, according to Railcar.uk they would even stand in for 117 Power Cars (could make an Interesting Scenario), these units also feature Driving Trailer to allow for 2-Car trains, they often worked on smaller branch lines and Cross Country routes though we could see them on DLOTGW and around the WR in general which is were they worked most of there lives, they could also be some cool services were we see a Class 121 or multiple being coupled up to other DMUs to add Passenger capacity, somewhat like the Image below,
    and before I forget, the Class 121s were the Last first Gens to operate on Mainline Revenue services, in 2005 Arriva Trains Wales bought previously Preserved 55032 for use on the Cardiff Bay Branch, later on in 2011 they also bought 55020 from Preservation to work with 55032 although 55020 was painted in BR Green rather then Arriva Train Livery (shown below), both units were withdrawn in 2013 and sold to chiltern railways before being sold back to Preservation (talk about coming out of retirement) even to this day the 121s are very popular on Preservation Railways, overall a well deserved addition,
    BR Class 121Mixed.jpg

-BR Class 128-

The 128 was chosen to represent a DPU, but it also represents an Extinct DMU, non were preserved and all were scrapped, you may wonder how would they remake it? well, Railcar.uk I Mentioned previously does host Images of the Cab and Interior, there is also Diagrams and works photos, and finally the Engines that power these units the Leyland Albion 230hp engines do still exist on Class 115s which and operational set does exist, at the WSR, which could be used to source engine sounds,
    the Class 128s had 2 variants, 4 Non Gangwayed units were delivered to Cricklewood on the LMR but later moved to Newton Heath, 2 Gangwayed unit were delivered to The London area and delivered to Southall, the other 4 being sent to the Birmingham Area at Tyseley, later on units would be swapped between the LMR and WR, after many years of Parcel work all units would be end up being scrapped, but a TSW Recreation could bring a spotlight to these obscure yet Interesting DPUs, a very fine addition
    BR Class 128.jpg

-Honorable Mentions-
    This little segment is dedicated to the DMUs I Originally considered for this Suggestion but ultimately dropped due to it being more Route specific rather than being more Flexible in where its used
    -BR Class 110- I Was going to choose these to represent the LMR, but then I realized it be best on a proper Historical Calder Valley Line, which I Have previously Suggested,
    -BR Class 124- I also Originally considered adding these to represent the LMR but tbh they worked a few lines in their lifetime, would work best as a DLC specifically for NTP,

-The End-
    and... thats it, yea i like the 101, but we desperately need some more First gen DMU Variety which is why i made this, i hope my choices of DMU here are very satisfactory and that you enjoyed the post, if not, then you probably left your soul behind somewhere, go back and get it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

This is an amazing suggestion with lots of detail within. I would buy any of these in a flash. A couple of other options would be the Class 121 single car dmus to supplement the Class 117's on DLOGW and being almost identical, could be built in tandem with them for a more substantial fleet. Also the Class 123 for DLOGW for semi fast services with a variant to suit the NTP route as they moved from the WR to Transpennine late in their lives to supplement the Class 124's. High time we had some brand new loco DLCs as there are many classes not represented on routes we already have. Please please please DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Like I say in my signature I would love to see more BR blue and this pack would be welcomed with open arms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. finntd#7891

I Thought about the 121, and i decided to edit it into the post, its very similar to the 117 and considering the historical signifigance of these units they do have a well deserved place in TSW

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on if MML is made add a Class 127 dmu. Remember to change gears on a class 127 DMU when you have a class 101 from GWML Diesel Legends TVL and Huddersfield Line 1983 at the back. Failure results in this message Service Failure your train has caught on fire

• Like Like x 1
  6. finntd#7891

Well i did have a thought about them but Again, very route specific, they were nicknamed Bedpans for a reason, go have a quick readup about them,

• Like Like x 1