Bury Line (1980s)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by NEC Railfan, Apr 21, 2021.

1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

The Bury Line was a 10 mile heavy rail route from Manchester Victoria to Bury Bolton Street stations. The line was converted from the heavy rail to a 750V DC wire tram route in the early 1990s. The most notable and unique feature of this route was the 1200V DC "side contact" third rail. This meant that unique rolling stock would be needed as well, and thus we come to what would be the prize gem of this route, the Class 504 EMU.
    [​IMG]
    They were introduced in 1959 to replace the original Pre-Grouping L&YR 5-car train sets. The class enjoyed a successful career until being retired in 1990-1991 with the conversion to light rail. Liveries could include the BR Blue and the later orange and brown livery (reminiscent to the Jaffa Cake)? [​IMG]
    The class also had a weird distinction (at least on my part) for being the only slam door EMUs to have graffiti on them, which gives me an 80s New York City Subway vibe. This would actually be an interesting weathering opportunity, though licensing would probably disagree. Sounds (traction motors particularly) could probably just be from the other existing slamdoor DLCs. One set also has been preserved by the 504 Class Preservation Society, meaning that prototype reference material is available.
    [​IMG]
    Class 504 Cab:
    [​IMG]
    Interior:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you want to check them out with some more in-depth information on the class, here's the link: http://www.class504preservationsociety.co.uk/
    Bonus Videos:

(With a perfect horn sample).
    This would definitely be a unique and short, but lovely little line to have in TS, with also plenty of scenario opportunities.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

I was going to suggest this myself for TSW. I noticed the model for the side contact third rail was included in Manchester - Leeds which I thought was great that it had been accurately modelled rather than just being left as bare track or top contact from another route.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How much playability would there be on a 9.5 mile route with a double track and only one type of train?

4. Volvo B10M

Volvo B10M Active Member

It is an iconic little local line, there were also a lot of engineering trains running with class 31s if you don't want to do passenger workings.

5. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

TBH I did suggest this route a while back along with the SEML and GEML in Blue

6. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Love the idea of a slamdoor era electric route, I think the Bury shuttle would have limited appeal though as it's a short one with no operating variety.