Buying Advice For Lgv Méditerranée

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by flyingfish, Jan 9, 2022.

1. flyingfish

flyingfish New Member

Hi guys, I've recently got into Train Sim World through Xbox Gamepass on my Series X and have become quite proficient using the ICE 3M on the Cologne - Aachen route included in the base game. I would consider myself a rail enthusiast but have never really been interested in rail simulators and games until I saw TSW2 on Gamepass. Anyway, being a fan of high speed rail and the TGV in particular I was quite excited seeing an LGV route in the store. However after watching some gameplay videos the scenery on the route seemed quite lacking when compared to that of the German high speed routes and checking online it also seems that this DLC was released in 2020 (older graphics?). Do you think the LGV route is worth the money or should I buy the South Eastern High Speed DLC instead?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Compared to the German routes there’s not much going on around you but the drive itself is just as good as an ICE service, if not a little better. It is a simple affair with little variation in the services (all end to end, some stopping and some not, and some short services to the depot) and just the one train but the quality of the train model and the cab is superb. The route has plenty of gradient changes and long sweeping curves to keep it entertaining and driving at high speed is great fun.

Some bits of the scenery certainly aren’t as good as you’ll see in a lot of TSW routes but you’ve seen gameplay videos and you’ll already know what to expect. During services the scenery is going past you very quickly so you don’t get to stare at the bad bits for too long. It’s mainly because there are wide open spaces around the track and distant scenery is quite poor in TSW but there are some nice bits along the way too.

I was reluctant to get this route at first but I’m glad I bought it in the end as it is enjoyable to drive at such high speed in a quality train. If you really like the TGV Duplex and you think you’ll enjoy driving the same services multiple times then it will give you good value for money. It just lacks the variety of most other routes even though it is the same price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flyingfish

flyingfish New Member

Would you recommend the South Eastern High Speed route over the LGV? From what I've noticed the South Eastern route has better scenery/graphics and comes with more variety in locomotives and services.

4. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

Depends what you like. If you like going at 300 km/h+ go for LGV or if you enjoy a mix of slower commuter and high-speed get southeastern high-speed, also the high-speed bit on southeastern high-speed is quite short and most of the route is slower.

5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Here's a little secret about the LGV route that give it a bit of extra bang for your buck.If you place a lgv train and let say a german freight next to or near each other with scenario planner on a route with some open switching areas,you can uncouple the lgv power units and hook one or both on each end of your german freight cars,you can tow away the german loco and side track it or just take it with you but either way you now have a high speed freight train.You can't do this with the ICE3 or the HST or the javilen.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It probably has more value due to the content you get with it. Driving the 395 Javelin is similar to the TGV on the high speed sections, although not as fast, and the rest of the route is driven at a slower pace with more stops. You also get the 375 for other services on the slower part of the route. It’s a good mix and I would recommend it as it certainly has a lot more going on than the LGV route and you do still get a bit of high speed action. For a first DLC purchase it is probably better than the LGV route. Of course you will probably end up buying both at some stage I reckon! It’s a bug that gets you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

One thing regarding SEHS is that in some areas, the scenery can look a bit rushed, however SEHS is great in terms of gameplay diversity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flyingfish

flyingfish New Member

Damn you guys have made the choice hard lol. I'm just disappointed tbh that the scenery on the LGV route is so lacklustre but then again I love the TGV and just going really fast in a straight line, there's something about it... But I guess what I'm trying to say is if you were choosing which route would you choose and why?

9. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

LGV is the best high-speed experience in TSW and a better choice then SEHS if that's what you are looking for. Running the TGV over the hills at 300km/h, managing the speed and watching the landscape whizz past you is a fun and unique experience, especially because the TGV is very well made with immersive sounds. Then there's also the power change and a stop at Aix en Provence to keep you occupied on the way. The scenery on the norther part is pretty bad and can be quite immersion breaking, but luckily that's also the section where you'll be going the fastest at 320km/h.

On that note, SEHS has fairly bad scenery on the high-speed section too, and it only goes up to 220km/h before it turns to a normal regional service. Where it wins over LGV is in the variety of gameplay, with more different services and rolling stock, so it has more replayability. The Class 395 and 375 EMUs included aren't of the best quality, but the Class 465 dlc is considered one of the best.

tldr: get LGV if you want a proper high-speed experience and SEHS for a mix of commuter and semi-high speed.

• Like Like x 4