Buying Train Simulator Witout Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

As i really got fed up with Steam, f.i. slows down your internet, and to boot all the ads they throw wasting access time i wonder if you can buy a license for TS2019 or 2020 WITHOUT Steam being involved ...

I had steam with IL*2 Sturmovik, and i am really happy i discovered that i DON'T need steam for that.
    Wouldn't buy TS if Steam is involved.

• Like Like x 1
  2. treid09

treid09 Guest

Sorry, but I don't think you can.

3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

You can run TS in offline mode if that is of any help but you still need Steam to run it.

4. Jack O'Track

thanks guys ... PS are there occasional sales for TS?
    fi. IL2 has a 75% sale going on right now ...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

There is a TS sale on at Steam right now. Hurry while stocks last. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You need the steam bootstrapper running to license check but that's it. You don't need to have the full software running at any point to run TS

7. Jack O'Track

thanks., steam bootstrapper; new to me, i'll try to figure it out.

PS i just looked around a little at the game after installing it, and realized i cannot get some DirectX stuff working easily, as i have some flight sim hardware i would like to use .... any tips maybe?
    But i just realized i am on the wrong track; bought TS World 2020.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. treid09

treid09 Guest

Like ARuscoe said, you only need to connect once, but it is a good idea to let Steam and TS update every now and then, or you will be in for one big, cumbersome one eventually. I am not a huge fan of Steam either (probably because I am not a gamer). As for the DirectX, sorry, can't help you there, but put up a thread on the Bug Reports page if you are having any issues and you should get some help. God bless.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jack O'Track

10. treid09

treid09 Guest

No problem.

11. btom

btom Member

I am in Canada, and saw a Youtube video the other day on Train Simulator 2021 and liked it, so as a prospective new user to this TS game, how do I get started? Do I select and buy a TS download file that's on this Dovetailgames site? How is the Steam site fit into all this? Do I need Steam account? Just wondering how TS can be installed on my windows 10 pc, tom

12. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

You need a Steam account, it is free but you need to sign up for it. It all works on Windows from Win 7 to Win 10 inclusive.
    Then you need to get a copy of Train Simulator, the current "model" is TS2022 but any version from 2013/14 onwards will work (and will be updated once loaded). I say this because you can sometimes get at a reduced cost one of the older versions BUT make sure it is unused as once used it is very difficult and I mean very difficult to transfer it to someone else. Once you have the base game and its add ons included in the pack you can buy what is referred to as DLC (down loadable content) which are extra routes, engines, coaches or wagons via the Steam or discount sites (this is Payware). You can also add stuff which is free (Freeware) but usually you need to have certain other items installed before this works. Give it a go and if you have more questions there are many here who can and will help you.
    Being in Canada you might want to look at the Railworks America website, just google it, free to join.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  13. btom

btom Member

thanks, so I created a Steam Account and I installed Steam setup files on my small SSD C/ drive, I haven't bought the TS program yet but when I do, can I install the TS2022 program on a large 2TB HDD I named K:/ or does TS have to go on C:/ ?

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Put TS on a different drive to C:\ otherwise Windows gets upset when you are writing TS files to the same Disk
    Mine is also on a 2TB Drive (G:\) but split to 1.5Tb and 500Gb for other stuff

15. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Mine is all on one drive but not on Drive C

16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

TS' DRM system is tied to Steam since 2009. I don't feel Steam slowing down my system. I launch it and close it to the tray usually. I'm quite comfortable with it, your games are updated automatically and when I think back there was horrible DRM methods like SafeDisc or even StarForce messing up your system. Steam's ok and the annoying search for updates a thing of the past.

I advise installing TS to a dedicated drive. Had to move my install twice because it's been growing fast. (now almost 500 GB)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2022
  17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

By the way, feel free to create your own thread asking questions. This thread was from 2019 and could have been left in the bin. :D

The minimum specs for Train Simulator are as follows for 32-bit:

• OS: 32-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported)
    • Processor: Intel Core-i3 4330 3.50 GHz Dual Core or AMD A8 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Graphics with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
    • DirectX®: 9.0c
    • Storage: 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Audio Device
    If you run in 64-bit, you will probably be best advised to have 16 GB of RAM. Some routes and locomotives (especially some locos from Searchlight Simulation, and routes like the New Zealand route entry in the store) require 64-bit to even run properly and will not work properly in 32-bit. You can reduce your game quality if you do experience lag and that may give a smoother experience, but it won't look as pretty.

You just missed a sale. You can buy the game now or wait for the next sale, but I would highly advise waiting to see if there is a Humble Bundle this month. The last two years, there was one in February. In those cases, the annual trio of routes was roughly a buck. There may also be a few locos (hopefully for the route, could be random) included. I have a strong feeling this year that some of the US-only BNSF locos are going to show up on the annual bundle and be unlocked for us in the store with the release of this year's bundle, but we will have to see. You can also pay more and get even more stuff. Honestly, it's like highway robbery. 2020 granted eight additional routes and a loco for each, 2021 was a bunch of scattered trains.

18. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Put it on your K drive because as you get hooked into TS2022 you will need that 2TB of space for all the DLC (Downloadable Content) that you will purchase.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Create a Steam library folder first on your K: drive using Steam settings, you can then select it as installation path.

steamlib.png

20. btom

btom Member

I see the recommended specs for running TS is a minimum Geforce GTX 970 graphics card, my Geforce GTX 1650 is 17% slower than recommended

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I first played it on a GTX-460, now GTX-1050Ti, yours should be ok.

22. btom

btom Member

our graphics cards are very similar, 4GB 128-bit bus GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x 16, thanks