By Changing Nothing, Nothing Changes.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by railway12, Jun 12, 2020.

1. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Hello guys, first of all I really appriciate the honest responses of the Q&A Stream. But as the title says I'll be taking a looooong break of TSW. Be aware that this is only my opinion what i think. There are still some points that I just can't understand and never will. There is no need for TSW2 and I can't see one. Matt answered the question with we need to bring TSW to the next step. But the next step is "only" a new engine - ehm not made by DTG because it actually works. DTG did not really make a big step towards this. I mean it's a fair price nothing about that but why letting the old routes down and not upgrading them. For example Sand Patch Grade is kind of upgraded (i dont understand why sand patch grade has got an upgrade ticket and the other routes havent - the argument consoles does not count) but the other routes stay original forever no bugfixing no upgrading no Nothing. So we've got TSW2020 routes one glued Sand Patch grade route and TSW2 routes interesting kind of a glued piece of everything ... And in the next upgrade TSW3 DTG won't upgrade that stuff again? So just making it and then oh it's time for TSW3 no need for bugfixing or upgrading. Ehm how should this go on? And when not closing TSW and bringing out ehm lets say TSW7 then there are 7 subgames that can be played rather then upgrading the stuff responsibly and having 1 big up to date community united in 1 game with routes beeing at the same level. Never mind. And when doing nothing with the old routes why collecting bugs then? When just mentioned in the stream that there will be no editing on the old routes in any form? Anyway the only thing that has improved is the communication but other then that nothing's really changed. And because DTG will not change soon I have to change.
    I'll just play Transport Fever along with Sam he seems having more fun with it too.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

Actually, I laughed so much when Sam made that goof... Matt seemed tickled pink as well! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It was an easy laugh to have, "Mister Communication" dropping the ball at the first pass. All ridicule is deserved.

• Like Like x 2
  4. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

This sums up my thoughts quite well also. However, I think I'll just carry on with TS1 rather than Transport Fever 2 for the time being.

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Oh, fer gosh sakes.

Can anybody really claim that TSW doesn't need a serious graphics-engine upgrade? 2020 looks like something from the PS3. And all the whingeing about not upgrading legacy routes! Seriously, you expect remasters, and for free?

6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

What makes you think TSW 2 will look any better? Yes, it uses an updated engine, but it doesn't take advantage of any of its graphical or sound improvements. Therefore, I can be pretty much certain that it'll look identical to the routes, graphic wise, we have in TSW 2020.

7. hightower

hightower Guest

Did they not say as much? Same with the sound, draw distance etc.

I’m sure it gives the game more potential, but I’d hazard a guess it will look practically no different to the current TSW1 offering.

In a perfect world I can’t imagine this is how this was meant to go. If you’re making this step, surely the ‘new’ game should come with all the bells and whistles turned up to 11? It seems to me this is being forced on the developers as a rushed decision to make money (that old chestnut) when the fishing franchise is doing the same thing. What’s good for the goose etc. If you look at that game, however, they are trailing that like it’s a significant step forward (not my cup of tea so only an impression) in many regards.

TSW2 certainly doesn’t seem to be much of a step forward at all. Strip out all the ‘potential’, and right now it barely seems any different.

Open mind though...DTG have 6 weeks to sell it to us. It’s on them now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
  8. londonmidland

In the Q&A live stream Matt answered no to if there would be any visual and sound improvements. This includes shadow draw distance and lighting.

9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yep, they confirmed that other than the new skyies, nothing changes regarding graphics. Well, maybe in the future. I think the biggest difference would be if they managed to increase the shadow and lighting draw distance finally. Not only shadows stop after 500m, but the headlights of trains barely start being visible at 30m. Also they could really add headlight flare to trains so you can actually see oncoming traffic at night.

10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

All we've had so far are the negatives about the change.
    Lets wait and see what the positives will be.
    Matt obviously believes there are significant improvements to be had with the change, so why don't we reserve judgement until the day thereof.

11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well even if they're not coming now, the new release definitely makes them possible for the future. Looking at it objectively, the sky improvements are a nice touch, even if they're not that important. But the adhesion physics is a great and important step to make the simulation more realistic, so it's definitely good news.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

But they’re not changes that are coming with TSW2, they remain promises of things to (maybe) come in the future. Essentially the same promises that have been repeated over and over again for the last 3 years. To all intents and purposes, barring the UE4 upgrade you’re getting the exact same game with a pointless livery editor and quick drive creator. I say pointless, because nothing can be shared, and I say pointless because none of the library of content that you’ve built up over the last 3 years can be used with them. Wanna reskin a tube train, the least reskin-able train ever?! Go right ahead. Wanna reskin a Class 37, or an HST, or a Class 31 etc? Nope. Absolutely no bleedin way can you do that.

As for the sky thing, it looks absolutely no different. It might be ‘dynamic’ in the sense that the newer engine works better and allows better lighting etc, but it’s the same rubbish skybox (judging by the screenshots) and is very much not ‘dynamic weather’, which you would have assumed would be a ‘given’ in a simulator in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Its probably just the sky system from there fishing game, and if you have seen that in action... its just another thing to be disappointed about as its frankly horrible and only marginally better than the flat horrible clouds found in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  14. londonmidland

Yes. The cloud system is nothing to scream from the rooftops about. It’ll be a marginal difference with it still looking horribly flat and 2D looking with no changes to the lighting on the ground.