Calder Valley Line In The Early 80s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Jul 19, 2021.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Calder Valley Line During the Early 1980s:
    The Calder Valley Line is a 42 Mile route Between Manchester Victoria - Leeds, However its not Northern Trans Pennine In Fact its North of it being the Most Northern of the Main Trans Pennine routes, Also includes the Addition of the 49 mile Line Between Todmorden - and the Seaside Resort of Blackpool North, Plus 2 miles to Neville Hill TMD East of Leeds for a Proper DMU Depot at Leeds (Holbeck Was NOT a DMU Depot At the time), Making a whopping 93 Miles of Route! If you wish for a Modern Variant Driver Woods posted one here -> https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-via-bradford-present-day-the-real-ntp.42673/
    CVL Map.png

The Services:
    I Could not find much for the Passenger services on this route at the time its set so I used the Modern Service Patterns I Found on Wikipedia which is,
    • Bradford Interchange–Halifax–Huddersfield
    • Leeds–Dewsburry–Manchester Victoria
    • Leeds–Halifax-Manchester Victoria-Chester
    • York-Leeds–Halifax–Preston-Blackpool North
    • Blackburn–Burnle-Todmorden–Manchester Victoria
    • Halifaxs-Bradford Interchange-Leeds-Hull
    Freight services will mainly be Coal Services, Which more freight services can layer in with Heavy Freight Pack!

Lets get into
    Locomotive/DMUs:
    BR Class 110:

The BR Class 110s are 3 Car DMUs (though noted was a few 2 car sets) and some of the Most Powerful at the Time with some of the Best Power to Weight ratios of any First gen DMU, these were the Main DMU Performers on the Calder Valley Line, allocated to Neville Hill in Leeds, and Newton Heath in Manchester, these units will make a Wonderful Addition to the route and as a Secondary DMU on Both Northern Trans Pennine and Tees Valley Line. Liveries these can come in are Both BR Blue and Blue & Grey, however no standard Blue & Grey units existed they either came in Blue & Grey with WYPTE or Metrotrain branding or just Blue & Grey with No marking not even a BR Logo so if these units come to TSW2 I Would like to see them in Blue & Grey with BR Logos.
    A 3-Car set is Preserved at the ELR
    BR Class 110.jpg

BR Class 40 with Split Headcode boxes:
    The only Reused Loco the BR Class 40s with Split headcode boxes will act as the Main Freight power of the route hauling Coal Trains or any other type of freight that may Come with it.
    BR Class 40 SH.jpg

BR Class 25:
    I Decided to add this after posting to bring some more originality to this route, the Rats as they were nicknamed, commonly operated Freight services in many regions of England, these can act as a Secondary loco to the Larger class 40s, there are 2 variants id like to see, the 25/0 and 25/2, this is mainly Aesthetic, like how the class 40 has both a Headcode box and Disc variant, but instead the 25/0 has the Original Gangwayed ends, and the 25/2 has no gangway and lack of grills all over the sides

Rolling Stock:
    16t Mineral Wagon/2-Axle Coal Hoppers:

I Mentioned Coal services for freight and well here we are the 2 wagons I Propose to be used as the Coal Wagons, nothing else to say but you get it.
    BR Coal Hopper.jpg
    16t Wagon.jpg

DLC:
    BR Class 03:

The BR Class 03 is a 0-6-0 Diesel Mechanical Shunter! These units can be Used at Goods Yards and depots, or as Station Pilots, and may be substitutable for and by the Class 08.

BR Class 120:
    The BR Class 120 are 3-Car Swindon Built DMUs, the ones I'm suggesting here is The first batch of them with Circle Buffers, They may come with both BR Blue and BR Blue & Grey.

Layering:

Northern Trans Pennine you may kiss the Bride, I Specifically set this route to be in the Early 80s to allow an Amazing amount of Layered services with Northern Trans Pennine, Some freight trains or Passenger trains may stop at a Place on this route but continue on Northern Trans Pennine and Vice Versa! AI Depot Moves, NTP Trains going in and out of Leeds and Manchester Victoria on Calder Valley and Vice Versa!
    Locos and DMUs being able to be used on Each Other's Timetables Along with the Class 110 on TVL, Shunting with the Class 08 on Calder, More Freight with Heavy freight Pack, there are so many Possibilities and I Hope Dovetail takes full advantage especially since they are working on Memory Optimizations.

Ending:
    Hey you read to the end probably I hope you liked it I Made Doubly sure it was a Quality Suggestion.
    I'm done Here see ya next time

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I did have a post on its length it's actually 49.75 miles from Leeds to Manchester Victoria via Bradford. I'll do the Modern day version since you did the 1980s version. I was the one that posted its length. Since the game has class 40 part of NTP freight why not make class 25 & 56 as freight locomotives with Class 40 layered from NTP. Passenger locomotives layered from NTP are Classes 47 & 45 and the DMU class 101. Playing this will create delays on NTP newton heath depot moves because you have NTP Class 101 DMUs having to hold at the depot tracks to let CVL Class 110s and 120s through then NTP Class 101s go. The bundle is called 1980s Transpennine routes Leeds to Manchester. Also applies to Dewsbury on NTP to which your Calder valley line train is held for a Class 45,47 101 NTP service then proceed after the NTP Train.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. finntd#7891

Yea ironically i found out your making a modern version of this post trying to find the Length of the route I just used that Length calculator someone linked, I argue the Delays for the ECS Moves wouldnt be too big of an Issue Yes the CVL Passenger trains would have Priority but the ECS Next services dont start for quite a While after they arrive at Manchester Victoria (when i get home ill Check), I already put the Class 25 in my Buxton/Glossop line suggestion and i generally dont rehash unless i feel it fits, the Class 56 However might be a good idea ill consider adding it as a DLC along with the 120s

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

Are you referring to the NTP ECS moves at Manchester Victoria to which a CVL train must squeeze through. Remember member JustWestSouth has a forum thread dedicated to Rush Hour/Challenging Runs. Therefore CVL and NTP will share rush-hour congestion at Manchester Victoria Huddersfield Newton Heath Dewsbury and Leeds City

• Like Like x 2
  5. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Great suggestion with much potential for inclusion of more long withdrawn types. We need many more like this with a slightly older feel as most of what we have is very recent. In particular we need many more first generation DMUs.

• Like Like x 4
  6. finntd#7891

Yea i was talking about the ECS Moves and in my opinion the rush hour congestion definitely would fit in with the New rush hour stuff

I Made sure to choose just the right units for this if you got a good unit that could work as DLC just let me know

7. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The Class 123, 124 and 128 are perfect for NTP but unsure if they ever worked Calder Valley.

8. finntd#7891

the 128 would make due but yea from what I Read/Watched those classes didnt operate on this line

9. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

Great suggestion just wondering would Huddersfield station be on the line as Heaton lodge junction is set near it. Also Heaton lodge junction's website I believe mentions some workings if you were wondering.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=heato...=edge..69i57j0l8.3772j0j9&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

More BR Blue is always good, but I'd prefer a route which also offers opportunities for my current collection of BR Blue trains to be utilized. This particular suggestion doesn't seem to offer much for layering & substitution, does it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

The route does as all of NTP's rolling stock can be layered in.

12. sam#2862

sam#2862 Well-Known Member

My local route I would prefer it modern or Abellio and Serco Days but ultimately I don't care as long as its in the 80s+ so I can use the 150 and 158

13. driverwoods#1787

I did the modern Northern Rail Time Table comes complete with 150 158 170 & 195. Click on my signature for CVL Leeds Manchester Victoria