Cane Creek: Loading The Long Way

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Aug 17, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Session DG51-C: Switching at Potash . . . 17:45

Once again, I'd been sent out on a loading task alone. They really ought to pay engineers double for these jobs, but that's another issue.

Having learned how to open the hatches of the covered hoppers, I decided to make this task last. After driving the train to within a few yards of the loader, I stopped, walked to the last hopper, and climbed its ladder (have to be careful with this: only one of the two ladders available at the end of the hopper goes all the way to the top). Once there, I opened the hatches:
    TSW2_TAPper_1629210524_00.jpg
    From there, the job was simple, but painstaking: up the ladder, open the hatch, down the ladder ... rinse, repeat . . . all the while putting up with the repeated, nagging question: "Do you want to give up control ...?" and being careful to click on "no".

Next step? load the hoppers. Since the EMD SD40-2 doesn't have a slow speed control, it's up to the engineer to meticulously balance throttle against brakes, maintaining a "speed" that never rises above 1.9 MPH. To accomplish this, I positioned the "8" camera alongside the loader:
    TSW2_TAPper_1629211934_00.jpg
    and cautiously ran the hoppers under the chute, keeping a close watch on both the train's speed and the advancing bubbles counting up from 0% to 100%:
    20210817150104_1.jpg
    Once loading had completed, I again {oh, no!} stopped the train, climbed down from the cab {you're kidding!}, and closed all of the hoppers' hatches. Before returning to the cab, I took a last look in the dusk from the final hopper toward my engine:
    TSW2_TAPper_1629214373_00.jpg

The rest was easy: return to the cab and drive to the final destination. I hadn't earned a lot of points or a medal, but did feel the satisfaction of a difficult Cane Creek task well completed.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Is opening the hatches mandatory?

3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think so, did not dare to spill Potassium by not opening them. Cane Creek is a slow experience!

4. LastTrainToClarksville

Not for this session. It's only required in one activity, which involves loading 3 hoppers at the end of a long train. I just decided, as a switching devotee, to prolong the enjoyment by making the service more "immersive". Some folks like picking up and dropping off* passengers, others prefer long freight runs, still others, like myself, prefer yard activities. TS and TSW offer something for all of us.

* Hopefully, I am not the only Car Talk fan on these forums! Remember "Pickup and Dropoff" the "Monback" trash haulers?

• Like Like x 1
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

... and delightfully so, in some activities!