Cannot Couple Carriages In West Somerset Railway Game

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by ukhuman1st, Mar 30, 2021.

1. ukhuman1st

ukhuman1st New Member

Having arrived at Washford in this game (career mode - storm scenario) I detached the two trucks behind the engine and shunted them into the siding. I then returned up the line and backed the engine slowly onto the carriages - but they would not couple up. The coupling feature does not show that the engine and tender have met up with the carriages. What am I doing wrong? I cannot complete the challenge.

2. ukhuman1st

ukhuman1st New Member

Have tried whole scenario again today - same problem. Neither the carriages nor the tender of the engine appear to have any coupling mechanism and even when tender is snug up against coach buffers, the coaches don't show up in the coupling screen.

3. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Do you have auto coupling enabled in the options? I don't know what speed you've tried backing into the carriages, but have you tried backing into the carriages a little harder? Not enough to cause a derailment or negative drive quality of course!

4. ukhuman1st

ukhuman1st New Member

Hi - thanks for your interest. Have tried this several times at different speeds around 3mph. I've been trying to manually couple - it's always worked in other scenarios. I'll give autocouple a go.

5. ukhuman1st

ukhuman1st New Member

Have tried with autocouple - still no luck! The game doesn't seem to recognise the coaches.

6. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Active Member

I realise this is an old thread, so apologies for bumping it, but I have recently encountered the exact same issue in two separate scenarios:

BR Blue Diesel Electric Pack Loco Add-On - [2] Night Shunter
    LNER Raven Q6 Steam Loco Add-On - [4] Wearhead Goods, Part 1

In both cases, I am able to complete the first few couple/uncouple instructions but then the program ceases to recognise that the locomotive is in contact with a vehicle that can be coupled to, either via the HUD, by clicking the coupling icon or by using the keyboard shortcut.
    I have tried restarting the scenarios, saving/resuming and with auto-coupling enabled and disabled.
    I am wondering if there is a limit on the number of coupling operations that can be undertaken in a single scenario somewhere in the game code perhaps?

It's a rather frustrating issue, especially in the case of the Q6 scenario, which materialised about 50 minutes in to a long, challenging, but very enjoyable shunting puzzle!