Can't Get Moving

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hansmorse22, Nov 29, 2021.

1. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Hi,
    I'm new to TSW2 and after going through the start and tutorial, I still can't get any train moving! They just sit there. I seem to have turned everything on as instructed, but still nothing. Is there guidance or prompts to show what needs to be done as you go?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

What route and which scenario?

3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately each train has it's own start up routine so you'd need to let us know which train you're trying to drive so we can give specific advice. Starting up a BR class 101 is very different to starting up a US freight loco!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Thanks for responding. I just have the standard edition and I've only tried the Tube train and the German DB in the initial tutorial. I can't seem to get any moving, so does this mean I've missed an important procedure?

6. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Hi, Thank you so much for responding. I've just responded below to another member. I can get any moving.

7. chieflongshin

I’d suggest playing the tutorials again, that will be your easiest bet. I’m wondering if you haven’t put the reverser in

8. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Yes, the reverser. I didn't really understand this and I think I put it in Forward? Is is the Direction of travel?

9. chieflongshin

Yeah that's correct. With the German trains the reverser is on top of the console. You need to ensure you release brake key too if it had one on top of console, not all of them do

In the tube train you have to put a key in beside the drivers seat and then turn it to on (it's fiddly). The. Reverser is already in on this I think and you just need to set to move throttle

10. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Thank you for that. I'll have to try it again later.

11. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

12. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Can't you just get in a drive along a piece of track? It would be good to be able to take in the scenery in 4K?

13. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

You can a) get up from the driver's seat (press E) and sit in a passenger seat (look at it until you find the "sit" prompt). Then wait for the message "Do you want to give up control", click yes and the train will depart; or b) in the menu, choose the "explore on foot" option, choose a station and time to spawn and when a train comes in, enter the cab, sit in the driver's seat and take over the service. The train should be set up to go.

As to your basic problem: when I was a beginner, I frequently forgot to move the reverser forward or release brakes. Another thing on German trains is that if you apply brakes, the throttle is deactivated. You have to release brakes and bring the throttle back to zero before you can use it again.

For the real fun, check out how to use PZB, AFB and LZB. You can google the manual for Schnellfahrstrecke Köln, it should be described there. There's also a tutorial video on the German safety systems:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. chieflongshin

I think the key is keep working the tutorials. The buttons are fundamentally the same, the set up process different each train. That said once you learn how to get it moving you will do it in seconds most of the time and be on your way

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. ARuscoe

You don't HAVE to drive. If you spawn on foot you can just sit on any train that comes to platform and act as passenger, but other than that it does mean learning to drive the trains and some are easier than others (newer tending to be simpler)

16. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

In the tutorials the trains are death and needed to started. In timetable mode the train is already running, so not every part of the tutorial isn't required in timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Thanks for sharing this info! It's really interesting! I had no idea it had all this functionality.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

OK, thanks for letting me know.

19. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

There's a lot to learn I see.

20. ARuscoe

It depends. If all you want to do is drive a tube train down the bakerloo then you only have to learn how to get that unit moving and stop it again.
    If you want to drive a german train then you learn that train and drive it.
    This isn't like "other types of games" where you have to learn how to do everything, it's more like a hobby where you pick and choose what you want to do and "the actual doing of it" is as much an aim of the game as receiving awards or completing scenarios.
    For example I am only interested in UK heavy rail routes, so although I have the bakerloo line I've never touched it.
    I'm currently doing a lot of runs in the BR class 101 on West Cornwall...

• Like Like x 1
  21. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Thank you. All of them. Unfortunately it was just my lack of knowledge and being new to it all.

22. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Have you managed to get moving?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Yes! Thank you! I had to go through tutorials again. Just getting use to the mouse use on each switch. What a great sim though!
    Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 2
  24. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Yes, it's an interesting sim and just takes time to get use to the menu and navigating around.

25. chieflongshin

Stick with it. Theres a lot of good routes and content. Some of the things i'd suggest researching here is how the routes layer on top of each making them busier (primarily german routes) but also make sure you have a good read through what each route is about.

26. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

If you're referring to the safety systems - I strongly encourage you to drive with those on and pay attention to the route, not the HUD. It makes the experience much more involved. At the beginning, I had my difficulties of course and watched some other videos on YouTube to get the hang of it, but it turned out so rewarding. Someone wrote a "PZB for numpties guide" on Reddit here.
    Another cool thing about German lines is the distance markers every 200 metres. If you look up the line on Wikipedia, you'll find the distance markers for the stations and then you can turn the HUD off completely. Example: English entry for Köln-Aachen here, German entry here. Just write down the ones that are used in the game, like Düren at 39,2 and then you'll know (with practice) when to start braking without the HUD objective marker.

As for expanding the game, I think Ruhr-Sieg Nord and Dresden-Riesa are the best German routes. Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr is really good too, but sadly very short. Though its loco DLC, the DB BR 101, is the best German loco DLC in Train Sim World 2 - such fun to drive! - so I would actually recommend getting HRR and the 101 in the sale, which ends in about 24 hours at the time of writing, and you can also drive the 101 on Dresden-Riesa.

The only British route I have apart from Brighton Mainline is Northern Trans Pennine, which is old and you see that in some places; but it's very atmospheric, set in the 80s, and driving the old British Diesels is a completely different experience from the modern electrics, especially the commuter DMU with, wait for it - a gear shift! So despite its age, I always recommend Northern Trans Pennine to people not interested in German routes. (But to be fair, I only have two British routes, so there are more expert opinions than mine to be heard around here.)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. hansmorse22

hansmorse22 Member

Really interesting information! Thank you for taking the time to outlines this.
    Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  28. chieflongshin

The game really comes to
    Life when you are playing hud free with the safety systems on.

The s bahn (stopping services) get intense at times