PC Cant Play The Game

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by jesper, Mar 5, 2022.

1. jesper

jesper New Member

When im going into the game there is a identity box comming up that says that i should make a identity (which i did yesterday) and if im going to type a name there it comes up with error messages like "that identity isnt valid" or "DovetailLive identity error, try again later" and i have been trying all day.

Does anyone know what i should do?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  2. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

First, enter an identity. Usually I just spam random letters like "jdskfg". Then spam the enter button, and eventually it'll let you in.
    It will then give you the option to "Enter the Creators Club".
    Let me emphasize, that this is the only option. You can't go back. You can't just go straight to the menu. You MUST join the creators club. Dovetail Games have somehow put the text in the bottom corner that tells you to press "B" (or "Esc") to "Go Back", but doing so does absolutely nothing, and just gives you that "denied" sound effect that plays when you've reached the end of a menu, or you can't go somewhere.
    The good news is that once you're in the CC menu, you can just go back to the main menu and select the route as normal.
    The bad news is that you're forced to go to the CC menu first.
    The REALLY glaringly bad news, that I'm absolutely freaking pissed off beyond belief, that not a single person on the ENTIRE INTERNET, has addressed, is that EVERY SINGLE TIME you start this once-good, but now absolutely CRAP game, is that you must "Enter an Identity" EVERY MOTHER****ING TIME YOU START THE GAME!!!!!!!!

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Excuse me?

On launch, if you are not already signed into Dovetail Live, it will put up the sign-in dialog box- but you can always skip it and go straight to the route selection menu. "Option to enter the Creators' Club?" Never seen any such thing. There's a button at the bottom of the route selection screen, which you can ignore.

4. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

I never said anything about Dovetail Live. I'm talking about this: [​IMG]

This appears EVERY time you launch the game. Being signed in to Dovetail Live has nothing to do with it.
    When you do create an identity, you will be given an error: [​IMG]

The way to get around this, is to just spam "Confirm" a few times, and it will suddenly let you in.

Then you're given this screen: [​IMG]
    See the part where it says "Esc" (or "B" on Xbox Controller) to Skip? That doesn't work.... unless, yet again you repeatedly mash the appropriate key or button, and then it will go straight to the "Route Selection" screen.

What I want to know, is why do we have to go through the whole "Enter and Identity", thing every time we launch the game? And why do we have to spam buttons and keys for it to work?

Let me make this clear. This is BEFORE you get to the route selection. This is immediately from the main launch screen where it says "Press Any Button To Continue" (or whatever it says), after the short movie introductions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  5. solicitr

I've never, ever seen that. Are you on Steam or Epic?

6. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

Steam

7. solicitr

I would suggest you go into the Steam app and verify your TSW installation. What you're getting isn't normal

8. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

I assume you mean "verify integrity of game files"?

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

10. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

It says "All files successfully validated".

11. solicitr

You might try going straight to Dovetail Live and resetting your username and password. It may be that by "brute-forcing_ your way in with multiple gibberish names, your account is screwed up.

12. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

Are you sure it's even related to my DTL account? To be clear, this is what happens every time I start the game:

As you can see, it asks me to create an identity. I chose "random" because it doesn't seem to matter what you choose.
    Then I had to keep pressing Enter a few times, before it eventually let me in.
    Then, the sounds you hear from 0:24 is me pressing B on my controller 6 times, proving that contrary to what it says, "B" does not skip anything. And then from 0:29, is me pressing the Esc key on my keyboard 6 times, also proving that this doesn't actually do anything. It only actually works when I actually click "Skip" in the corner with the mouse at 0:32 (I have the mouse cursor disabled when capturing). As you see however when I finally get to the route selection screen, despite me choosing "random" for the identity, I'm still signed in with my current Dovetail Live profile.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  13. solicitr

I am completely mystified; I have never seen an "identity" in TSW other than the DTL login. I think you'd best contact Dovetail customer support, because this is NOT normal.

14. BCMTUK

BCMTUK New Member

I'm not the only one with this problem. Infact, I'm not even the OP of this topic. That's jesper.
    There's also rushhour#3971 and seymourgoals that have had this problem.

And seymourgoals plays in PS5 apparently, so not only is it not Steam related, it isn't even exclusive to PC: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dovetaillive-identity-error.52473/

If it means anything, the build ID for my version is 8235510.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. seymourgoals

seymourgoals Member

Just to add that what BCTMUK described above and shown in the video is exactly what happens on the PS5 for me. Every single time you load the game is forces you to create an identity, then error, then you just spam X button on ps5 controller, it lets you in but forces you straight to creators club, all i want to do is go to main menu when game loads, this has only been a problem since the creators club update. Any other forum members having this issue? It's incredibly irritating.
    Don't think it's a dovetail live problem thing, just a creators club issue, i've tried logging in and out of dovetail live and no good.

16. Victor4815

Victor4815 Member

me too, help me please, i am play in steam in tsw 3