Catching Up...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by inversnecky, Jan 19, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

It’s certainly a big task catching up with the latest in the world of British railways!

Before my childhood interest faltered and I moved onto other things in the early 1980s, classes 86 and 87 were the height of modern locomotion, and the HST was tantamount to space age technology (ok, a little hyperbole!).

Now after three plus decades away from the subject, there’s been more than a few changes and more than a few more additions since the appearance of class 56 locos which was the latest when I was last following things.

When once upon a time MUs were never seen in my part of the country, and the roost was ruled by 47s, 37s and 25/26/27s, they have become commonplace, all over, and familiarisation with all the various types is desperately required!

Living in a part of rural Scotland many miles indeed from a railway station, I’ve not even been in a train for two decades, so also haven’t had that day to day experience of seeing the changes rung in.

How the wheels of time turn: while my father used to decry diesel locomotives as soulless ‘boxes on wheels’, compared to the LMS steam of his childhood, I felt the same about the often all too similar MUs, compared to which, classics such as the class 37 seem as characterful as any steam engine.

Privatisation has led to a plethora of new liveries, but at heart I’ll always remain a BR blue and grey man!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Blue and grey and before era myself, but I think it comes down to the age demographic as to the appeal of TS.

For oldies it's nostalgia for the err... "glory days" of rail travel in the 50/60/70s. There seemed to be more variety of rolling stock, more interesting infrastructure, siding full of goods wagons and vans, a mix of steam, early diesel and electrics. Semaphores and Victorian stations. And not forgetting the dirt and grime.

For younger generations the appeal is shiny trains in gaudy colours* doing 140 MPH with the outside world as a blur.

It would be interesting to do a poll on the age demographic and their preferences on this forum.

* To me, the OTT graphic liveries of modern trains make them look like toothpaste tubes. IIRC the Network South East livery was called the toothpaste livery.

What's the difference between and modern commuter train and a tube of toothpaste?
    You squeeze the contents OUT of a tube of toothpaste

• Like Like x 2
  3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Some astute observations there! My son thinks only steam engines are ‘real’ trains, and anything else is a ‘box on wheels’!

I’m gradually familiarising myself with the various MUs. Until recently (25-30 years!) in the north of Scotland, they weren’t as familiar a sight as in the south of England, so it takes a bit of getting used to the fact that those old 47s, 26s and 27s have been supplanted by ‘toothpaste tubes’.

4. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums inversnecky. Yes there has been quite a lot of changes in the rail industry and even new build steam locomotives. What's your best memory of BR Blue days?

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

As I gather you like a challenge driving trains then try the 1st Gen Diesel MUs, the Classes 101, 105, 111 and 121. Then get the AP 101 soundpack which applies to all these and enjoy the correct method of driving them. So instead of punching Go on the throttle, you have four gears to play with. Between changing up you have to close the throttle, change up and re-apply the throttle. It certainly keeps you occupied.