Changing Stock In Scenarios...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Nov 18, 2020.

?
  1. RW Tools

20.0%
  2. TS Tools

60.0%
  3. Something else

20.0%
  1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Ok, so I figured it's about time I learnt how to change stock in scenarios...

First and most basic question is do I use RWTOOLS or TSTOOLS and what's the difference between them???

I've had a quick glance through the RWTools manual & it seems so scary...!!!

Eric

2. claggybob

claggybob New Member

TS Tools is just the new version of RW Tools; so to be up-to-date on features and bugfixes, you want TS Tools. It's very powerful, and does look daunting at first, but you'll pick it up quickly. It must be said though, that it has its quirks.

If you want to change stock in a scenario which you have all the stock for, it's arguably easier to do swap-outs in the scenario editor; it's generally much more predictable that way. TS Tools can be just as good (quirks not withstanding) for scenarios where you have all the 'starting' stock, but it comes into its own for swapping-out items which aren't in your library.

Regardless of which way you go, the first thing to do is make a copy of the scenario so that you can always get back to where you started.

I haven't updated my RW/TS Tools in a little while, so things might've moved (in which case I apologise); but to make a copy of a scenario in that, click 'Route Building Tools' in the main window, and then 'Check Routes or Scenarios'. You'll get a list of your routes in the top pane, and when you click one, a list of its scenarios in the bottom pane. There's a button on the bottom row to 'Clone Scenario'. [To do the same inside TS, use the build button on the main menu, click the scenario tab, find the route, then scenario which you want, and click clone.]
    I think Mike (the chap who makes RW/TS Toos) has been introducing new features to make this simpler, but I haven't used it recently so I don't know how extensive that work is; with that in mind, I will say *historically* RW (TS) Tools doesn't work natively with content packed in .ap files, which are quasi-ZIP files that routes/scenarios/stock/assets can (and more often these days, are) packed in to save space/keep things tidy. It does provide an option (somewhere!) to unpack all your .ap files, but that will i) take a while, ii) eat space [and iii) can in rare circumstances cause issues with repaints which expect the files to be packed in an .ap]. If you don't see the route/scenario you want to modify listed, and you definitely want/need to use RW Tools to do the job, the best way is to unpack just the specific content/assets yourself. Find the .ap file in the file structure (with Windows Explorer), and change the extension to .zip (or copy it before renaming to .zip and change the original to .ap.off - to i) prevent your ZIP software from modifying the original, and ii) prevent the game loading from the .ap instead of the extracted files). Extract the contents into the same folder, and then RW Tools will be able to see/work with it.

Once you've got a copy of the scenario ready to modify, choose 'Edit Scenarios' from the Scenarios menu in the main window. You'll see a similar list of routes and scenarios; find the copy you made to edit, and click 'Edit Selected Scenario'. When the next window opens, you'll see all the consists listed, and when you click on them, their stock. If you click an item of stock, you can then use assets browser to find the item you want to replace it with, and click 'swap selected item'. There are checkboxes for retaining rolling stock numbers (and other options) but you'll normally want to have that unchecked, for the obvious reason that stock would look odd with numbers from another class, but also because numbers i) are often limited to an 'expected' range, and ii) can control dynamic elements of the model (Armstrong Powerhouse stuff for example, tends to provide lots of options which are set by the vehicle number). It's not a bad idea, once you've swapped stock for items in your library, to then use the TS scenario editor to check/adjust the numbers (just double click the vehicle and you can check/adjust its number in the panel which flies-out from the middle of the right edge of the screen).

Sorry for the long post; there's a lot I haven't said, and there are guides out there, but hopefully this gives you the basics you'll need to get stuck in and have a play (which is the best way to learn this side of things).

Shout if you have any questions!

B

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Eric
    As I said in another post :) TS_Tools is the SUCCESSOR to RW-Tools.
    Mike Simpson upgraded the latter to TS-Tools to give more functionality especially when dealing with .ap files
    I find TS_Tools easy to use, but both need some time getting used to! Take it slow and always make a copy of what you are working on.
    If you want a definitive answer on which to use - why don't you post to Mike on his dedicated page on the UKTS - still labelled RW Tools!!
    https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewforum.php?f=374
    One tip in TS-Tools you need to build the route index everytime you add a route using "Route Building Tools" and then "Index Route properties"
    TS-Tools "cannot see"Routes, Assets, Scenarios using the .ap file structure, you need to extract the appropriate .xml file first.
    So for routes use "Route Building Tools" then "Extract RouteProperties.xml" - ignore any pop-ups and proceed. Do this for Assets and scenarios as needed.
    Remember if you want to swap to a DTG asset in the .ap file structure you need to extract the Asset .ap file first.
    The poster above beat me to it!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Sorry to hijack but I downloaded TS Tools again a while back since reinstalling my Train Sim package (I had RW Tools before) and it freezes everytime I try and search for routes/scenarios/anything that takes me off the first page - is this a known thing or am I doing something wrong?

In the meantime I'm manually swapping stock in the scenario editor and it's a pain!

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can change locos in the scenario if you have the one it comes with.
    Start a Scenario then pause and go in to World Editor > Scenario Editor
    scenario 1.jpg The instructions for the train are those icons above the loco

scenario 2.jpg Start by moving the loco to the next track and then place the new loco on the train

scenario 3.jpg
    Then just drag and drop the instructions on to the loco you just placed
    Finally delete the original loco

You can do the same with the train if you wish to change what is being pulled

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Is there a way to do the latter without TS Tools at all?

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you own both Traction items you can do it in the game as I mentioned in the post above yours.
    If you are missing one of the traction items then I don't know of another way apart from TS tools

You can any change stock in scenarios without a problem

Peter

8. ntypeman

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply (esp claggybob with his monumental essay... I've now downloaded & installed TSTOOLS but am now staring at the screen not really knowing what to do... I know I've got to "tell" TSTOOLS where my files are but don't know how to do it... Has anyone the time & willing enough to "walk me through it please"???

Sorry to be a P-I-T-A...(probably breaks forum rules saying that!!! :o)

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  9. claggybob

claggybob New Member

ntypeman Click options on the main screen, then select 'TS202x Path' about half way down. Point it at your RailWorks folder (usually somewhere like \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\Common\RailWorks). If you can't find it, right click your TS2021 shortcut, select properties, and then 'open file location' and the path will be in the Windows Explorer address bar. (There is a registry entry TS Tools could read to find it - one more for the list of quirks(!))

10. ntypeman

Cheers Bob...

Am in work at the mo so will have a look once I get home...

Eric

11. ntypeman

Bob...

Had a look today but have still drawn a blank... i did as you said about selecting the TS202X path and got this:
    Screenshot_20201119-221923_Gallery.jpg
    When I scroll down I come to 2 .exe files, RailWorks.exe & RailWorks64.exe
    Screenshot_20201119-222410_Gallery.jpg

am I supposed to select one of these??? If so, which one or both???

Thanks again

Eric

12. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You only need select the RailWorks64.exe (assuming of course that you play the 64bit version)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. ntypeman

Thanks Reef...

I mainly play the 64 bit version however, on occasions a scenario will hang so will try the normal 32bit version which usually works... Do I still just do the 64bit version???

Eric

14. claggybob

claggybob New Member

Sorry... I forgot that detail! You can pick either to be honest, it's just using it as a reference to get the location of the Railworks folde, it doesn't really care about the executable inside.

15. ntypeman

Selected what I needed to select but I still haven't got a scooby doo at what I'm looking at... can anyone offer any guidance, please???

Eric

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  16. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Eric
    As per the instructions above
    in TS-Tools top tabs CHOOSE "OPTIONS" then "TS2020 Path" navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks as per your screenie above) and either choose (left click on) railworks.exe or railworks64.exe press OPEN - that's it the path to Railworks is now stored in TS-Tools and that means TS-Tools knows how to edit/modify/view/save any Railworks file correctly (.ap files need some tweaking - but we can explain that later.

17. ntypeman

Hi Peter... thanks, I reached that stage that you explained... its the next part where I'm stuck & don't know what the next parts of the process are in order to swap stock in scenarios...

Eric

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Eric have a read through these tutorials, there is a lot to get through (by that I mean content of each relative tutorial) but it will be worth it and you'll always have them to reference to if you (like me) forget stuff. http://www.agenetools.com/tutorials.html

Tutorial 15 is about swapping stock but I strongly advise you follow the first one before moving on to fifteen, the rest I doubt you will need at this stage, maybe the consist editing at a future date but for now concentrate on 1 & 15.

Edit:
    Some things have changed since these tutorials were written so if your stuck on any part I'm sure there's plenty here who've worked around those changes so just ask.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  19. ntypeman

Cheers Reef...

Blimey, you were up early!!! I'll tale a look now...

Eric

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I work nights lol, in fact I should be sleeping right now but can't for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ntypeman

I know that feeling... I work split shifts & am well known for getting to work right on the wire... struggle to get up in the week for work but at the weekends when I'm off I'm up early without a problem... go figure...???!!!

Eric

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a watch of this as it explains the process better than we can
    This is for RW Tools but TS Tools is the updated version

This is the TSTools version but not explained as well

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

Much appreciated...

Eric

24. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If it hasn't already been said, any locos you want to swap in need to be unpacked from their AP files before they can be used. So you will want to use the button in the AP file window that extracts all rolling stock. If you know the specific one you need to use to unpack from, you can just select that AP file and extract from THAT folder.

Here's an example. On many scenarios, BNSF trains will be put to use in the Workshop. The most commonly used ones, I find, are the GP38-2 and the SD40-2 (the BNSF variants). agsieg is one particular user whose content I've reviewed and he uses both models a LOT (in addition to some six others). He's even given me permission, when I'm ready and feeling comfortable with it, to release worldwide versions (and though he doesn't require it, I'll be linking to his originals for those owning the BNSF models).

So back to my example. I know for a fact that the N-Line DLC has other variants of BOTH trains that you can swap in place of the BNSF models, and these are Norfolk Southern models. Download, say, the Workshop scenario as normal, then use the button in Ts-Tools to clone the scenario and give it a new name to make it stand out (say, by adding a space and "NS Version" at the end, but use your own system). You will load it up in Ts-Tools and follow the instructions above to find, in this example, the BNSF SD40-2 models in the scenario and replace them with the N-Line version. But first, you must extract the model from the AP file. So bring up the AP files window by going to File -> Find all .AP files. In the new window, scroll down to "Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\DTG\NLine\NLineAssets.ap" and select it, then click the button marked "Extract rolling stock from selected .ap files" (note: if you want to extract ALL rolling stock from ALL .ap files, click that button instead, two to the left of the one I've indicated, as It will cover this file as well). Once done, I believe you have been guided above in how to replace already, so find the new SD40-2 and replace the BNSF one, and you are good to play the scenario as if it was a Norfolk Southern scenario. Note you will probably have to consider replacing the cars on the train to match your new ride, however, before you can actually play the scenario. You will then want to consider loading it in the scenario editor so it can reconfigure itself to include the train, and after saving that, you should likely be good to go. Make sure to also edit AI traffic if you want to maintain that; otherwise, the AI traffic will possibly just cease existance, especially if you use the F2 on loading trick to kill the things you can't load. Make sure your player train at a minimum is covered.

Make sure you follow the directions carefully because you CAN screw things up badly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1