Changing Us Freight Car Sounds

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā, Jan 18, 2021.

1. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Quick question, not sure if this is the right place to ask but anyways.

I noticed that some of the wagon sounds in the Sherman Hill route DLC sound amazing compared to the standard sounds most US wagons have. Now, i want to use these sounds in other routes such as Horshoe curve, Donner Pass, etc. Can i simply copy and paste the wagon Coal/Cement/Freight .bin .proxybin and .proxyxml files to the other routes? Or will that cause the game to crash?

Thanks

Jamie

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Coal/Cement/Freight .bin .proxybin and .proxyxml files don't make any sound
    There is information in the file pointing to *.DAV files that make the sounds
    Just copying the files you mentioned would have no effect.

3. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Ok, I found the .DAV files in the Wagon Hits and Wagon squeaks folders. I guess I'd need to copy those folders to the route that I want to use those sounds in?

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

5. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

I did try those but my horseshoe curve route didn't like them. But is it possible to copy the .Dav files from one route to another or where I still need to edit a few files?

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can copy the files from one route to another but unless the files copied have the same name the game won't use them

If you have a sound called Buffer01.dav in the route you like but the similar file is Buffer_1.dav it does not work.
    Start by renaming the files in the place you are copying to from .dav to .bak (Buffer_1.dav becomes Buffer_1.bak)
    When you copy the files you want to use rename them so Buffer01.dav becomes Buffer_1.dav

Then test it - it might work and it might not.

On this page is DavDecoder
    https://rail-sim.de/forum/filebase/entry/31-dav-audio-decoder/
    Just copy it to your computer - it does not need installing
    You can turn a DAV file in to an Audio file to listen to what it sounds like without playing the game

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I was intending to come on here today and ask if there was a way of playing DAV files as usual players like Windows Media and VLC won't. Now I have the answer so thank you.

I have the original RSC class 101 from years ago and have successfully copied a couple of the DAV files from the later RSC class 101, as I wanted to use the original green and the NSE versions. These do have the same name so I just renamed the existing file. For example one of the sounds are the run sounds which are almost inaudible in the original class 101 but far better in the later so I renamed the existing file "runold.dav" and copied "run.dav" from the newer class 101, I think as long as you back up then you should be able to experiment without causing too many problems (in theory anyway).

The next ones I want to tackle are the IHH DMU's but their files are named quite differently so I wanted to play them first so I knew exactly what file I was replacing. I have given up trying to rename .bin files to point to other files as I just ended up with no sound.

8. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Just save up and get the class 101 sound enhancement pack from AP. Makes the unit sound a whole lot better

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have that but it doesn't work with the original no longer available RSC class 101 pack. That pack has liveries not available in the later pack i.e. the original green with speed whiskers, the 1970's refurbished white and blue and the network south east livery. Using some sounds from the later RSC pack means I can make the original pack more of a pleasure to drive. I could use some of the AP sounds but there are a lot more DAV files in the AP pack, so would need the Bin or proxybin file editing too which I am not quite ready to do yet!