Cheap Tsw2/3 Controller

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DefaultGateways, Aug 24, 2022.

1. DefaultGateways

DefaultGateways New Member

I personally found this method to be a cheap and effective means of controlling a Train in TSW.

Note- This can be tested for free using any PC controller and the free trial version of JoyToKey. No money needs to be parted with in order to test.

Step 1 -
    Purchase a relatively cheap PC compatible USB Arcade style Joystick ( Any USB PC controller should work - I am not trying to flog the brand imaged below)

fgxhg.JPG

Step 2 -
    Install JoyToKey (£6 for licence but there is a free trial)
    https://joytokey.net/en/

Step 3 -
    Plug in controller and map buttons to keyboard keys using JoyToKey ( a list of keyboad shortcuts for TSW2 can be found on this forum)

sdfsd.JPG

Step 4 -
    Install HidHide https://github.com/ViGEm/HidHide/releases/tag/v1.2.98.0
    This application will stop TSW from seeing the controller, meaning that the game will only detect the key presses triggered by JoyToKey.

( Just add JoyToKey under the applications tab in HidHide. This will only allow JoyToKey to see the Arcade Controller )

dfhyh.JPG
    awrqwerw.JPG

WARNING - Without HidHide the game will detect an input from both the keyboard and a game controller. Chaos will ensue.

Step 5 -
    With HidHide and JoyToKey running, launch game and enjoy your new controller!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This sounds really good. How does work when using the reverser, throttle or brake?

3. DefaultGateways

You map the Joystick to increase and decrease throttle by moving it forward or back. Left and right can be reverser etc. you can configure it whichever way you like. The joystick itself can act as 8 button presses which you can map to any key combo you like.

And slapping a big button to open the doors is always exciting!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Why is this superior to a keyboard and mouse?

5. DefaultGateways

I did not say it was superior. I personally find it to be the better option. Keyboard and mouse away my friend!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  6. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

This is more or less what I did but I went a step further.

JoyToKey is great for translating "gamepads" to key strokes as you can see - you can actually very easily buy buttons and levers to build your own controller box. No need for soldering either. All you need is a generic gamepad board with the cables that plug into it, a drill with a bore piece for making the right size of hole for the button/joystick and boom your done.

I'll happily make a guide if anyone is interested? It's DEAD easy and requires little skill tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

This is neat, however my main issue of using an arcade stick with a Train Simulator is that the stick does not replicate the analog nature of a locomotive throttle lever. A throttle lever from a HOTAS setup would be better suited to this task (albeit more expensive and notches notwithstanding).

I think others have set up a HOTAS using a similar method using joytokey

• Like Like x 2
  8. DefaultGateways

This was my plan initially as you can get more creative. Unfortunately I opted for the lazy method this time around, but definitely an option down the line!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DefaultGateways

I agree, but for those just looking to dip their toes in on a budget it's definitely worth a go. Even if it's just for the buttons. The joy stick can be used as a horn!

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The OP doesn’t use this for TSW, he’s trying to sell one of the products in his post. That’s why he can’t answer any specific questions about what he does just suggestions of what could be done.

Always be very wary of people joining a forum and immediately posting to recommend a product. He keeps editing the original post as he reads more of the forum to find out more about the game he doesn’t have.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DefaultGateways

...yes
    B2BB4552-5BBB-4789-9920-0D1D4C7EE845.jpeg

12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Looking interesting. I like any controler more than KEBAM becouse it feels more organic. BR

13. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

On XBox I'd been pondering the possibility of a little electronics project to wire up a raildriver to the XBox adaptive controller, just for fun.

14. DefaultGateways

That does sound good! Only one way to test it out! Let me know if you get it to work.

15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Which Isle of Man DLC is this?

16. DefaultGateways

Apologies, Isle of Wight. I not much of a gamer, nor am I big into Train Sim. I just liked the idea of using the controller with this game. Tough crowd eh.

9BBC2013-B7C7-4359-99B7-E6C22EA1B856.jpeg
    3A088A22-26F1-4A72-96EB-12CDE73D7712.jpeg

• Like Like x 1