Class 319

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moony, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Moony

Moony New Member

Hi,
    Can some kind soul explain what the flag switch under the class 319 cab window, labelled "EBS" is please?
    Mtia
    Moony

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

EBS is the Emergency Braking System that is used if the unit has a problem with the braking system.

But it has no function in the game

Peter

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The AP 319 does, and the VIS, TIS and AWS, so it depends if he has the AP one or not I suppose.

More precisely it overrides the emergency braking system and allows the vehicle to move despite the fault that triggered emergency braking.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't have the AP 319 just the RSC versions.

I did say the EBS has no function in the game so can somebody tell me what difference it makes to the driving of the train in the game if the EBS is Isolated?
    Or is it another feature a Developer has introduced which serves no useful purpose?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

It would allow for faults in scenarios I suppose.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Excerpt from - https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/free_download/manuals/APC319V1_Manual.pdf - page 25
    Isolation switches allow safety systems to be isolated in the event of a failure or emergency and these have been simulated. To activate one, you must first insert a master key into the corresponding lock and click the relevant flag. Please see below for a list of what each flag does:
    • EBS (Emergency Bypass Switch) - Disables emergency brake.
    • VIS (Vigilance Isolating Switch) - Disables the DVD (Driver Vigilance Device).
    • TIS (Traction Interlock Switch) - Disables the traction interlock so you can obtain power without door interlock.
    • AWS (AWS Isolating Switch) - Disables the AWS (Automatic Warning System)

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I read the manual and I understand what the EBS is and does - I have raised a Real EBS a number of times when I was driving.

But what does it bring to the game?
    I suppose you could have a scenario where the instruction was to Raise the EBS but to the player the train would not behave any different.

8. Pookeyhead

But that's like saying what does a GSM-R unit where you can type in a headcode and signal number bring to the game... Or a NRN radio you can type an area code into.. In effect... nothing.. except a greater sense of realism. Or a hot plate you can hit to stop it rattling... or a newspaper on the dash that slides around when you go around bends... or even having working lights! None of them make the train behave any differently. I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I understand the GSM-R and even the NRN on some units and obviously the train would have lights.
    Not sure about being able to hit the hotplate (Class 47?) with anything?

10. Pookeyhead

They're just nice little touches that add depth to the simulation. Is that a bad thing?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  11. Moony

Moony New Member

Many thanks Guys!

Moony