Class 377 Speed/cruise Control

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TinTin_57, Oct 26, 2020.

1. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

An anyone tell me what the correct procedure is for the speed control of the class 377 please?

using the controls under the brake gauge I set the speed to 15mph with the black switch then went to press the yellow button beside it but it constantly says ‘inactive’.

can’t get it to work. I wondered if there was a sequence I should be following with it. Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think the throttle has to be in the maximum acceleration position. I have got it working on the past, but can’t remember. What I can remember is that it doesn’t hold the speed very well. Especially on hills.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Cruisr control can be active as soon as power is applied, but doesnt help when going down hill, as it doesnt slow the train down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Cheers for the replies. I was trying it out as I was ‘off the rails’ doing a 377 run on WSR but sounds like if it doesn’t work like AFB would it would be no use to me there with the constant up and down. I’ll try it on other routes though. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  5. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Yes I presumed it would work like AFB but found when coming downhill towards Lewes it doesn't stop the train going over 70mph so didn't find it much use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

You can only use it when the train is in a power position, it only stops power from being applied, it doesn't slow the train down for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was answered already, but it's a bit like tempomat in the Talent 2, to activate it you need to have the throttle in a Power Notch (so it doesn't have to be in idle or braking) and it should work, also you need to set the speed with R and F as with AFB

• Like Like x 1
  8. LocoRail_NL-EMU-

LocoRail_NL-EMU- New Member

Yes in power/brake handle mode 1 first gear the speed control activates with the yellow button the the button left of that increases or decreases the speed control on the ps4pro wich i am on it works dandy but downhill hmm manual is allways an option and it keeps u sharp
    Holding the knop to one side increases the speed or decreases it by increments of 5 miles an hour
    Lovely device but boy is afb a dream compared speed control lol
    On a personal note the 365/9 is a lovely emu train cant get enough of it untill i crave some higher speeds cheers from holland

9. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The 377 cruise control is only activated once you are in notch 1. However it deactivates once you activate the brake so be wary of that as well.

10. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

Not sure if this is a bug on London Commuter, but I find that the speed set does hold the speed when going downhill. I know they reworked the Class 377, so I'm not sure which is correct: No braking (like on ECW) or with braking (like on London Commuter)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bobbsi1

bobbsi1 Member

I tried it out, and you will likely speed a lot downhill.
    As WiSchmo noted, it will break, but starts really, really late, so that you will speed very quickly if you don't see it early enough and break by yourself.
    I would not recommend to use the speed control, maybe in slow sections out of big train stations where you only can do 40 mph a "longer" period, but even that is very easy to handle without it.
    This system is definitly not as good as in the german trains, where it is very acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

Thanks for checking, bobbsi1 :) Is this on ECW?
    I'm asking because the speed set on London Commuter hasn't caused any speeding for me, even on a 1% downhill gradient (like coming down the hill on the fast lane approaching Purley)

13. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

The Class 377 cruise control is very bad in my opinion, it's not as safe as the AFB on German trains, I've tried to make it work, but it doesn't look good, I'd rather not use it. The AFB of loci BR112 and BR143 (where the acceleration is from the AFB and not by the throttle lever), are others that I don't like, as they always exceed the speed I defined, whether in flat regions or in descents, it is not as efficient as the ICE, BR146 or BR185.

14. bobbsi1

bobbsi1 Member

I tried it on London Commuter and I speeded immediately after the first 0.8%. Maybe I was unlucky? IdK, or this could be another bug that it sometimes works and sometimes not...

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are now two versions that work differently and I found the London Commuter version difficult to activate. It did seem to apply the brakes unlike the ECW version but I haven’t used it at all since I struggled to get it to activate on many occasions, so don’t know if they have changed it since release.

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It seems that it is implemented differently on ECW and BML. The former regulates the throttle, only, and is good for holding speed on the level or an upgrade but will not slow you down. On BML, OTOH, it seems to control dynamic brakes as well and functions like the German Automat. And, yes, you have to have a positive throttle setting for it to be engaged.

As for activation: I'm assuming that on console it isn't mapped to a controller button? That would indeed make it a PITA, unless you have a keyboard plugged in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Squonk

Squonk Member

Just as a point of interest, the 377 speed control is not used in real world (at least not on Southern)

• Helpful Helpful x 2