Class 45 Engine Turns Off By Itself

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by arek#2842, Mar 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,
    Has anyone ever have a situation with BR Class 45 and it's engine turns off by itself while train is on a move?
    It happened to me three times when running:
    • on Northern Trans-Pennine
    • from Manchester to Leeds,
    • right after leaving Manchester when you need to pass through this 2.1% elevation,
    • on wet conditions.
    Wheels were not slipping, amperes (AMP) was not extremely high (were in the range of green field if I recall correctly), breaks were released.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Might you have pressed the Z key by mistake? If I remember correctly this acts as the engine shutdown

3. arek#2842

Sorry, should have mentioned that the beginning - I'm playing on PS4, nice suggestion though with the engine turn-off by accidental button click. I've checked PS4 controller mapping for 'Immersive' setup, but no key is mapped for engine start/stop - the only way to stop the engine on demand is to press the corresponding button on loco's dashboard, which I haven't done then for sure ;)

4. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

You can stall these diesels its seems- potentially under heavy breaking if you still have the throttle on.
    You should be able to restart it again?

5. arek#2842

Yep, I was able to restart the engine, just wanted to understand how the engine goes stall to avoid that in the future.
    Is this AMP (Amperes) gauge gives any advise about that? I've noticed it has green and yellow fields (no red though) and most of the time I'm running the loco in the way the AMP value stays on green range, but is exceeding the APM range so it goes above the green range limit (to the yellow range) results in any consequences?

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

IRL if you ran the engine "too hot" (ie in the yellow too much) you'd overheat / overstress the engine and transformer, resulting in a failure. Not sure it's reproduced in game

If you're leaving the loco under power when braking down to a stop it's no wonder it's stalling and dumping you out! Never tried that particular move to know it would stall down the loco though

7. arek#2842

Well, that would be easy to figure out, but I haven't met this issue when breaking with throttle applied, but when climbing on a 2.1% hill just outside the Manchester (that part of route with 40 mph speed limit) and both times there were wet conditions (one of those times was on a service from Journey mode, snow everywere a nd also was snowing). On dry weather even if I was appling full throttle, AMP was in yellow range - stall never happend.

8. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue with an oil train in the wet. Ended up with the red light showing on the dash. in the end I took it "Really" slowly just edge it up and then off the throttle, kept repeating it. on and off the throttle, it took me a while to get it right but i did in the end.

9. arek#2842

Yes, I did it the same, carefully increasing the throttle and with time longer that would wish I managed to climb on that "hill" ;)

10. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

How does the engine stall when it's not physically connected to the wheels?

11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If the generator redlines and starts to overheat, I believe that triggers an engine shutdown (at least it does in RL US diesels). But I don't think that's modeled.

• Like Like x 1
  12. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I have somehow managed to stall an 08 Shunter!

• Like Like x 2
  13. bassman612

bassman612 Member

I had the Clinchfield F7 ABBA set of engines shut down. I had them pulling a coal train on Sherman Hill. I was going uphill at 35 mph in notch 8 on the throttle when it shut down the engine. I was under the 800 amp limit, but running it wide open for about 10 minutes when it shut off. I assumed it over-heated so I just waited a few minutes then restarted it and continued, but only going up to notch 7 this time.

I've also had shutdowns in the class 101 and the AC 4400. I messed up a gear change in the 101 and ended up restarting the engines while still rolling. The AC 4400 failed when I was under full Dynamic Braking then I accidentally (by dropping the PS4 controller) applied full independent brakes which caused massive wheel slip/lockup of the loco's wheels with a heavy train. This thread, along with the 3 engine shutdowns I've encountered, got me wondering if Simugraph is really simulating these engine failures.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. arek#2842

Yes, I was wondering about that also - if these engines shutdowns would be implemented in Simugraph deliberately to simulate real-life engines shutdown at overload, then it would be really nice touch for the details in TSW :) Now that you've confirmed that you've had such situation for three other types of locos than Class 45 in my case and 08 Shunter mentioned by paulc then I would say it's possible it is implemented in Simugraph.

• Like Like x 1