Class 66 Brake Test

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jsurfoo#3487, Mar 1, 2021.

1. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

How do you do the brake test on a Class 66? I only know that you have to flip a switch to change the brakes from service to test.

2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

The brake test button in itself doesn’t perform a brake test but rather allows you to do one while parking brake is applied. (I’m not sure if you thought by putting the switch into brake test that it would do it automatically?). Normally with parking brake applied, you’re unable to get any brake pipe pressure. So you would move brake switch to ‘Test’ which would bypass this safety feature and allow you to get brake pipe pressure in order to perform brake tests. (You are unable to obtain traction power though)

The brake tests that I am referring to are tests done during preparation (cold start or whatever you wish to call it) from a maintenance depot. Once you’ve moved brake test switch to test and charged the brake pipe, this is how you would carry out a brake test:
    1. Move the brake controller to apply and check to see that brake pipe pressure/ brake cylinder pressure decreases/increases retrospectively until you get to full service.
    2. Test the emergency plungers to ensure brake pipe pressure is vented
    3. Test the DSD by lifting your foot up and deliberately allowing an emergency brake application to result (after a few seconds of the DSD not being depressed, it should result in an emergency brake application then put your foot back on before the GSMR sends a message to the signaller)
    4. Remember to put the switch back to normal once finished
    In TSW, the parking brake doesn’t work properly. On a HST in the game, if you apply parking brake you’re still able to get brake pipe pressure, brake release and traction power (albeit with a horrible screeching noise and won’t move as quickly like dragging brakes). This shouldn’t be the case in real life which is why there is a ‘brake test’ switch. I’ve just tried the Class 66 and it’s the same problem.

I guess if you really wanted to do brake tests as listed above, you could make yourself an early morning scenario where you start off at the maintenance depot and prep a train from a cold start. E.g. start engines, do brake tests, etc... During preparation of a train, brake tests are only one out of many things that a driver needs to perform. As a driver, you’ll be allocated time to prep a train before departing the depot. E.g. 40 minutes. Don’t forget to perform a brake test in both powers/cabs :)

Edit: not applicable to Class 66s but for HSTs

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Erm......... Sorry Olaf, you're a bit wrong with this on a Class 66.

A brake test should only be performed when connected to a wagon or set of wagons before placing a train in to service.

The above description is what we call a locomotive prep, however you would not place the locomotive into "Test" to perform a prep.

On a Class 66 you can obtain brake pipe pressure with the parking brake engaged.

To perform a brake test you would do the following process in a Class 66.

1. Confirm with shunter that wagons are piped and coupled to the locomotive.
    2. Engage the Direct brake on the locomotive, also known as the straight air brake.
    3. Release the Automatic brake and wait for the air flow indicator to come back to as close to 0 as you can get it.
    4. Place the switch by the headlight toggle to "TEST".
    5. Inform shunter that the brakes are "locked out" and tap now belongs to them.
    6. Monitor the brake pipe pressure reduce to ZERO, get out and check the brakes have applied to the first wagon.
    7. Shunter confirms that the brakes are applied on the rear 3 wagons, tap is closed and flashing tail lamp is attached.
    8. Place the switch back to SERVICE and recharge the brakes to release.
    9. Overcharge the brake pipe and wait for that to bleed off (5-6 minutes).
    10. Confirm you are ready to move to the shunter.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was thinking of a HST :)

5. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

Does this mean that I should engage the emergency brake after I set the brakes to TEST?
    Also, what does tap mean?

6. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

No do not set the brakes to emergency. You can't do a full brake test because DTG haven't simulated opening the tap in the game. You'd open the red tap on the last wagon to complete a brake test.

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is very interesting background information. Thanks for sharing. Is it OK for you if I use it in the next update for the GWE Route Guide I created? Of course you get full credits for it.

8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Yeah no worries.

• Like Like x 1