Classic Us Routes, Not Moderns

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Challenger3985, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

When I did see the next route, the Peninsula Corridor, I was disappointed that there was little to no freight content (Just a GP38 and a 2-Bay Hopper). But then it got me thinking to another topic, I've seen many that would like to see their favorite routes in the more, modern times with modern locomotives.
    So to my question is this; why people aren't requesting their routes in a more historical period like Feather River Canyon or Horse Shoe Curve from Railworks, why aren't there any US routes in a more classical field in TSW so far. There have been historical routes already been made in other countries like NTP, and recreated locos like the Class 40. So why there hasn't been a single route back in the '70s or '90s or using the 2nd or 3rd Generations of Diesels in the US.
    So now I will ask this, would you like the classic routes with F7s or U-Boats, or would you just stay in the 21st century not caring about the history of your route at all, and will only love GEVOs and ACes?

and don't hesitate to post your opinion on this, I would like to see your reason on this.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The reason why DTG (most likely) have done mostly classic 80s routes for the UK is because the copyrights for the name and logos of British Rail have long since lapsed. The one exception to this rule is the classic double arrows symbol, which remains in use by National Rail and is owned by the Department for Transport. In the US, meanwhile, trademarks from before 1923 are in the public domain. This means a lot of steam, which DTG don't tend to do, or really early electric interurbans.

Usually, companies will grant copyright permissions on per-loco basis - that's why the WCML Trent Valley Class 66 has Direct Rail Services branding but the Wherry Lines (Steam version) Class 37 and Mark 2s are unbranded. While CSX might have given permission for a GP38-2, they might not have given permission for Chessie System, B&O, RF&P, C&O, Western Maryland, or Seaboard locomotives. For the constituents of Conrail, it's a stickier situation - who owns the copyright there? CSX, Norfolk Southern, or the leftover remnants of Conrail in New Jersey and Detroit?

Routes like Horseshoe Curve and Feather River Canyon would be great, but Horseshoe Curve doesn't have much in the way of passenger operations (3 stations), although at 45 miles it's a prime candidate for TSW. Feather River Canyon has about zero opportunity for passenger other than the California Zephyr, which was once per day each way with the westbound leaving Keddie at 8:20 AM and the eastbound leaving Oroville at 2:10 PM. The route is all uphill or all downhill, depending on which way you go. I'm not really sure how most people would feel about going around 25 mph for around 70 miles - the TS19 version tends to get a bit tedious if you play it for long periods of time. A better choice might be Donner Pass - around the same speed, but twice as long, with the advantage that you have to both go up the Sierra Nevada and come back down. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see older routes, but DTG have a long way to go (I think) until they get there. Their recent products tend to focus on dense, short commuter routes, and I think it will stay that way until longer routes start being made.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I do see your point in the copyrights with BR, though I have no Idea the logo is still being used currently. As to the US routes I've mentioned;
    1). I was talking about mostly the freight portion of TSW, which I know it's still limited not only by optimization but has a few problems in the Simugraph System.
    and 2). I did think about putting Donner Pass in the OP, and your right, it would've been longer than the current limits to Dovetails Development Time, which hopefully that will improve over time.
    plus 3). also thought about the Springfield line as well, but knowing that was 3rd party built, would've been the same result like Donner Pass, but with faster speeds and more stations.
    I still don't know why people still want passenger routes nowadays, but I will leave that for another topic.

4. bobsr

bobsr Member

Maybe, most people want passenger routes because, that is how most people have had interaction with the railroads. I know from personal experience, that for 35 years straight, I have traveled across the US and Canada by rail. 3 or 4 times a year.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The "BR rails logo" is not company specific in the UK but denotes the railway system itself so all rail stations have this sign as do a lot of the trains.

From what I've seen on this, many people don't like trawling around at 60MPH for two hours, only stopping so as to let faster trains pass. Yes there may be switching and a few curves in between setting off and stopping, but otherwise it's seen as a slow, fairly boring lacking-in-action drive rather than something interesting.
    I don't agree, but that's what I've seen

6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Donner Pass with SP in the 50s and 60s would be great. I'd also love the Horseshoe Curve in PRR, Penn Central, or Conrail days.