Clear Creek Narrow Gauge Freight Part I Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColonelKlink, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

Hey gang, apologies in advance if this comes off as a venting post rather than a "what can I do?" post.

Firstly, I like completing the scenarios for the trains I have one by one, like a checklist. So right now, I am at the last three remaining scenarios for the Clear Creek Narrow Gauge route, using a coal-fired Baldwin B4D 2-8-0. I have only attempted the Freight Part I scenario twice (once yesterday, and once this morning right before making this), and both times I have failed the scenario. In the scenario, you encounter grades as steep as 3.8%, which require you to build up boiler pressure and maintain speed as best you can, and there are a few grades like this, so it's not smooth sailing after you pass the first one.

Anyway, at each grade, I've somehow managed to bleed all speed that I've made getting to said grades, and ended up stalling on every one of them, which has made me late both times resulting in a failure. What I don't understand is that there are no time limits for reaching the different points along the line (as if I was picking up passengers, for example), and I don't understand why I keep stalling on each grade. I've tried everything in my power to not lose speed as soon as I move the regulator to preserve steam, and trying to start up again only causes me to roll backwards rather than to inch forwards until the grade evens out. Before you tell me to, yes, I've obviously completed the tutorials for driving the locomotive, but in the previous scenarios I haven't had issues of stalling, this has been the first instance.

Maybe it's a different story with other steam locomotives, as I've only used the B4D thus far in scenarios, but other than wishing there were tutorials for steam locomotives that focus solely on working grades, what can I do?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You might be better asking on Railworks America as the chaps there would know a lot more about the loco
    http://railworksamerica.com/

Peter

3. ColonelKlink

ColonelKlink Member

I stalled on this one grade, and I believe that was enough to fail me again. I made better time on this run than the last two, mostly because I had to speed well over the speed limit wherever I could to make time and to not stall. Wasn't sufficient I guess.

I'm very puzzled by this. I did everything it wanted me to do...

Attached Files:

4. Ighten

Ighten Member

Do you have auto fireman on? It can bleed everything when he chooses to inject and load on an upgrade.. Also When your not on the grade make sure your creating lots of excess pressure by taking it easy - you dont need to keep up to the speed limit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have completed these scenarios and I find that it is best to have auto fireman turned off. The steep grade doesn't last very long only about 30 meters or so then the gradient slowly flattens out. Your speed will drop down to single digits before increasing again. It took me a few goes to conquer these gradients by just trying different ways of controlling the loco ie fire mass boiler pressure. Make sure you have the blower and dampers open too.