PC Clinchfield Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by wxtr7, Apr 8, 2021.

1. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I've hopped in the cabs of both locos just to give everything a try, but haven't extensively done anything yet.
    -Very nice looking route and well done on the locos (especially the F7). Interestingly, I wasn't forced into a tutorial when I first loaded the route - I like that!
    -I will say, the F7 sounds, are tolerable and aren't as bad as I was expecting. The SD40 sounds from SPG though still make my ears bleed.
    -Saw some other posts about the F7 brakes, which seemed to work fine for me.
    -The dynamics on the SD40 seem too strong, but I haven't looked too much into that.
    -I'm also really interested to know what happened with the camera in the tunnel thing. I definitely remember the one preview stream Matt used the external camera with the train in a tunnel, and now it doesn't work...
    -I originally reported this when TSW2 was released, but cold starting the locos is bugged and this hasn't been fixed and was brought over to both the F7 and SD40. The priming audio doesn't loop, and so it plays once and then there's a delay. Since the F7 is a start button there's a gap of about 10 seconds after the priming audio stops (silence) before the engine starts. In the SD40, there still a delay of about 10 seconds after turning the switch from "prime" to "engine start." In TSW1, this worked fine. TSW1 didn't do this, but technically (IRL), the priming sound should overlap the first bit of actually starting the engine.

Biggest issue for me (and it clearly is a result of the dense scenery), horrible frame rate and performance though... In the cab, I'm averaging either 37-40 for 27-32 FPS depending on what's going on scenery wise. That's not too bad as the game still seems smooth to me and I'm not a "must get 60 FPS" person, but it is the worst of any route I own (even SPG is higher). HMA for example, I think last I checked drops to 35 minimum in the busiest part around Munchen
    Using the 2 camera, I drop to 20-25 FPS, which I've figured out is because of that horrible smoke effect where that camera lines up perfectly with both the lead and trailing engine smoke outputs (PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of this until you can do this without hurting performance - it also just looks fake)
    Where I really noticed it was passing another train, I dropped to something like 12-16 FPS and the game badly stuttered (while in the cab)

I don't know which services I quickly tested but had ~45 cars in the train
    i7-9700 & 1050Ti GPU

• Like Like x 1
  2. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

After breaking in the game a bit more, my computer must've just been having a rough day yesterday when I first tried the route. It's now running fine (actually slightly better than SPG) so I don't know why I was getting such poor performance.

3. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

well you must have done something! I have nearly the exact same hardware but I'm lucky to get 25 fps maximum. I can run every single route I own on Ultra graphics preset with a 30-40 and if I'm lucky 50 framerate but this one which I have to set to medium to get the framerate over 30. It's really REALLY annoying me.