Clinchfield The Descent Problem

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Jun 26, 2022.

1. So I started the scenario and had some go via instructions. Half way thru the scenario I crashed into a oncoming train. Loaded last checkpoint and the go via instructions changed to stop at instructions! so this time I stopped and the oncoming train passed me.

At the end of the scenario I wasn't informed that the switch needed changing, entered the wrong siding and crashed into some parked wagons!

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Not telling you the switches need changing is normal. You're expected to check all switches by using the map and stuff. They don't do that in services either.

3. It seems all ass about face. Some scenario's/services the switches are already set and others they are not. Not just limited to this route.

Sos the other day. I pulled past the siding, got out to set the manual switch and it had changed automatically?

With a scenario full of stop or via instructions looking on the map doesn't really help as the final destination is not on it. And a route I'm unfamiliar with, I have no idea what's where because dtg still haven't put any sort of names on the map either.

I'm starting to wonder if an ex British rail chairman has a hand in this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That switch is BS. Changing them in a shunting service or when leaving the departure yard, fine. But finding one at the end of a long run without either a) a guard signal, b) a stop-and-proceed sign, or (and this is the worst sin of all) the entry switch to an occupied siding not safely turned away, all would never happen IRL and it's absurd to expect a player to anticipate it- especially since it's located around a bend and by the time you see the hazard it's too late to stop.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I did wonder if the yard manager would come out and change the switch in rl. Especially as your hauling 5000 tons of train up a 2% gradient. Then I guess in the real world the second man/woman would hop down run ahead and change it. If it needed changing.