Codemasters Acquires Slightly Mad Studios

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by esteeleiv, Mar 13, 2020.

1. esteeleiv

esteeleiv New Member

https://www.codemasters.com/codemasters-acquires-slightly-mad-studios/

I know y'all in to trains more than car (I think) but I just found out about this event, yes I wasn't paying attention to the racing sim world.

I don't trust Codemasters one bit after their first F1 Games and terrible support.... then again Slightly Mad wasn't that great about it either now that I think about it, but their physics were awesome, plus they got some Indycar content. It's missing a lot of things from F1 games but at least physics and experience are not watered down.

Y'all think Codemasters gonna screw up SMS or make them better?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

PC1 and 2 were plagued with bugs at release and many features are still poorly implemented. Awesome games though and my go to driving sim (I have vr so kind of limited though). Hopefully codies will bring some polish and use the best bits.

3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I bought PC2 on PS4 with high hopes and played it for about half an hour. It made my G29 sound like it was getting ripped apart from the inside. Tried various force feedback settings with no real improvement. Haven't touched it since.

4. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I think SMS will do fine out of the collaboration with Codemasters. Ian Bell, SMS's founder, is now on the board of CM. Executive director I think, so he should have plenty of say in things.

Factor41 - I love PC2 on my PS4 with my G29. It's pretty much the only racing game I play. The wheel is still going strong after a couple of years. ;)

5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

What settings are you using for the force feedback? It feels awful under every configuration I've tried, like you're driving over pebbles, and not even remotely realistic. I'd understand if it was a rally game, but this is on racetrack tarmac!

6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I'll pop my reply in the spoiler since people probably don't want to read about sim racing settings. ;)
    I should have asked when you last tried it because they updated it via patches during the support period.

It's going to differ slightly from car to car and indeed track to track but I use.
    Raw (or sometimes informative)
    Gain 86
    Volume 35 (a lightish wheel. If you want a stiffer wheel increase this)
    Tone 60 (biased towards tyre feel)
    FX 0 (I don't like the artificial effects this adds. But you might like to up it a little)

If you do try the informative (more rear end feel) or immersive (more front end feel) they have an auto calibration feature so give it a couple of laps to settle down.

The newer race cars with harder suspension can tend to make the wheel rattle on occasions. It's the gear drive system. I'd suggest maybe trying a lower powered road car initially and working up from there. They'd certainly have softer suspension.