Consist Editor Coupling Issue With 3rd Party Assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daedalus, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Hi,
    I've just added a few 3rd party locomotives and wagons to my TS 2020 installation using the Train Simulator Utilities program. The installation seems to have gone fine, and the assets all show up in the Quick Drive consist editor. However, I cannot get beyond this point as every coupling I try to make gives a "coupling issue" error - even between a loco and its matching tender. All the standard stock can be coupled without any issues, but I can't figure out what might be going on.

I've no problem mucking in and editing things, as the assets I added are freeware and probably low quality. But I can't find any information anywhere on file formats or editors that could be used to help. They might even be for an older version of TS maybe, though I'd expect a warning if they were incompatible. Anyway, with a little digging it appears that there's no Couplings folder in the associated Rail Vehicles folder, whereas some paid assets have that present. Additionally, I had a look at the XML file for the loco, and it has the following segment:

Code:
                        <FrontCouplingBlueprintID>
                            <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
                                <BlueprintSetID>
                                    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
                                        <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">kuju</Provider>
                                        <Product d:type="cDeltaString">Railsimulator</Product>
                                    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
                                </BlueprintSetID>
                                <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">RailVehicles\Couplings\3Link\Screw\3link_screw_coupling.bin</BlueprintID>
                            </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
                        </FrontCouplingBlueprintID>
    Without any reference for the proper format, does this look like it's referencing a coupling definition for an asset I don't have? Perhaps the couplings were borrowed from another loco on the creator's machine and are therefore missing from mine, causing obvious coupling issues?

Anyway, is there a guide somewhere to creating or modifying the assets, or does anyone know how I might fix this issue?

Thanks!

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It's looking a for a Kuju asset - have you got a Kuju folder in railworks/Assets?
    It might be work looking at a default loco and tender to see what the settings are.

Peter

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Hi Peter,
    I do have a Kuju folder indeed, but it doesn't appear to have any loco information in it as such. The only folder inside Kuju is "RailSimulatorCore", which appears to contain environmental stuff - weather, tracks, signals and so on.

The default content in the Assets/DTG folder seems to be just a pair of .pak and .ap files - none of the loco-looking files I have in the add-ons. The paid DLC locomotive I have does have a Couplings folder within RailVehicles, but the configurations are in .bin files, not XML, so while they can be opened with a hex editor, it doesn't really help me to figure out what should be happening.

It might be worth pointing out that if I start a run with just a tank engine, I can couple up to stock already in the game without any issues. I just can't couple to that same stock in the consist editor.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In the game there is a setting to override the couplings so you could couple two vehicles that are incomputable normally
    Eg a loco with buffers to an auto coupling
    The Consist Editor is more precise and won't allow coupling of vehicles if they don't match.

You don't have the European Loco & Asset Pack which is why your Kuju folder is almost empty.
    If you change the coupling on your loco to match those on a different steam loco to the Kuju version then it should work.

Peter

5. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Yeah, figured in-game might be more relaxed alright. Cool, thanks for that.

Now, how do I change the coupling? Is it as simple as changing the provider name in the XML and adjusting the BlueprintID path and product name to match? I'll try that later on anyway :)

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It's specifically looking for:

assets\Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehicles\Couplings\3Link\Screw

and in that folder 3link_screw_coupling.bin

I've just looked on mine and I DO have that folder

7. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Good stuff, thanks! I might simply copy over the files from the other loco to that location and see if that's enough to trick it into working.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus New Member

Well, thanks guys. I created the Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehicles folder and copies in the Couplings folder from the working loco and all is well. Thanks for the pointers!

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That was a bit backwards
    If you had a Steam loco in say Assets/DTG/Exeter-Kingswear you could have just pointed you loco at that file
    Because you have the European Loco and Asset Pack which Daedalus does not.

Peter