Continued Issues With Ts Being Unplayable

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Sharon E, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This is an ongoing issue with my system. I have reported it via the Support Ticket system and the response is basically useless. What happens is that anytime I go into settings and make a change TS will no longer load. When I hit start it will go to Stop then after about 20 seconds back to Start. The only way I have found to fix the issue is to totally uninstall everything including Steam and reloading it from the beginning. When I do this I can play TS, but again any move into setting renders it unplayable again. I mean even opening Setting will cause the issue. I have decided to totally uninstall TS and if I want to play it again put it on my laptop. For anyone who want to give suggestion, I have tried Verification and that comes back the all is fine with the files, I have uninstalled it and put it back. None of these work, only uninstalling everything as noted above works.

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

A suggestion when or if that happens again do a verify integrity of games files it will save you time uninstalling and reinstalling.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you have copied your Settings from a Backup they might be Read Only
    The game would be unable to modify them when you change something.

Go in to steamapps\common\railworks\Content and look at these files
    PlayerProfiles.bin
    SDBCache.bin
    RVDBCache.bin
    Look at their properties and make sure they are Not Read Only

Peter

4. Sharon E

Michael, I noted in the initial post that I had done this, but thanks for suggesting.

5. Sharon E

This is a good suggestion except I did not copy these files from a backup. In the case of the uninstalling and bring back, I deleted any residual files left after the uninstall was over so Steam should have rebuilt everything new.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Worth a check to see they are not Read Only

7. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Sharon E does it happen with a brand new install with no workshop or other 3rd party content?

If it does, I would check the underlying drive it is installed on for issues. Assuming you're on Windows 10 - open up Windows Explorer, navigate to "This PC", right click the drive you have the game installed on, choose properties, then tools, then Check.

upload_2021-10-2_10-25-53.png
    This will tell you if the drive has any problems. If it finds any it will try to fix them (this might need a computer restart).

Paul

8. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

SharonE
    Have you ever contemplated that this is not necessarily a TS issue but possibly a Windows one?
    What are your computer specs including Monitor, windows version?
    Have you tried deleting the playerprofiles.bin file in :\STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content then restarting TS and reset your TS graphics settings?
    Other things to try or look at:
    Have you tried to start TS in Windows safe mode? Does it still stop working!
    Try a Windows "clean boot" option (Google) and then run TS.
    UAC settings? Set to lowest.
    TS installed in ProgramFiles (x86) folder
    Firewall plus Anti-virus anti-malware software excluding steam and Railworks.exe/ .64exe files
    Any heat issues with cpu/graphics card.
    Other steam games play OK?
    Look at this in case it is an internet/firewall issue: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/2EA8-4D75-DA21-31EB
    Does DXdiag report any errors when run?
    Run Windows "View Reliability History" (Google) any TS errors?
    Reinstall all C++ variants https://downloads.i-theses.com/index.php?option=com_downloads&task=downloads&groupid=9&id=124
    Reinstall latest .NET variants https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework
    Finally, consider a Clean install windows 10!!

9. Sharon E

I appreciate all above posts with ideas on how to resolve this. It has happened with my old desktop and is now doing the same thing with the new one. My decision is, basically, not use TS at all since I cannot change anything in setting to improve how it runs. TSW2 works fine and I will keep playing that. As noted, if I ever decide to run TS again will install it on my laptop and hope no problems there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unless your Laptop is a really good spec it will be a lot worse than the Desktop.

11. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Sharon E there are times when Windows simply gets confused. TS doesn't need a lot of resources so may work fine on your laptop.

One thing I thought of, if you're running Windows 10 do you know if the ransomware protection has been turned on? If it has then you'll need to add your Steam Library to the list of allowed folders that programs can make changes to or add TS as a program allowed to make changes. You can check by typing "ransome" (without the quotes) into windows search (next to the start button) and look to see if Controlled Folder Access is turned on.

upload_2021-10-3_20-7-49.png