Creating Qd Scenarios But 2d Map Not Showing Up (missing Template?)

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by pasictarik10, Jan 20, 2023.

1. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hi, I am trying to create Quick Drive scenarios for a third party route which was made around 2016 but after placing the starting Spawn point I do not get the 2D map route map from which I can select the required platforms.

On the Free Roam and Standard scenarios the 2D map is not a problem and is visible. Apparently a template is missing or there is something wrong in the Route Properties. Is there any way to fix this without having to contact the author? He is unfortunately long gone when it comes to TS creations and being present online.

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Which route? I can't work in total darkness.

3. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

It's a third party route called Roa-Honefoss in Norway, it's not available anywhere online anymore as far as I can tell and it came out around 2016 or so.

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Afraid I can't help you with that one then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2023
  5. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok, that's what I thought though if anything it would be nice if I could send the route to someone to at least take a look and see what can be fixed.

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok I'm just making a quick drive starting at Hønefoss, the map opens without any problems...

Also, just flying a bit around on the map, I've not spotted any milk bottles yet, so the missing assets you reported are probably not that important.

1.png

Looks nice!
    2.png

When installing, be careful with the assets. When you copy them, do not overwrite existing files! This can happen with freeware routes and their asset packs. If you have Berlin-Wittenberg, you can get into trouble because of different versions of the SAD\GermanLocal assets. You have to then create a new templateRoute and Environment\Terrain\textures.bin for Honefoss.

Also the RouteProperties has some issues, the BlueprintPreload IDs have a trailing space " 100766" and duplicate IDs - this just triggered an OOM. I've adjusted the according files.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2023
  7. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok thanks, for some reason when I tried to create a Quick Drive and put the starting Spawn point I did not get the 2D map route map from which I can select the required platforms. How did you manage to make it appear?

The missing assets I reported are not important, they are just frustrating because they are station signs and now all the stations are blank and unidentified on the route which means I will have to create my own station signs.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You're absolutely welcome.

Well, try to see those missing assets as an opportunity for getting into content creation. It's not hard creating station signs, I'll help you with that. This knowledge will help you and you'll probably enjoy enhancing the route further yourself.

Considering the QD, just place the "Player Spawn Marker" and double-click it. Then open the map (Icon in the compass flyout).

Once I have verified my file adjustments do work, I'll send you the changed files. I've created a separate templateroute file, independent of the SAD assets. Also a new texturing.bin and RouteProperties.xml. If you have AP Weather I can apply it there too.

Btw when installing freeware assets, I carefully check each one if it already exists on my side and if there is differences. As I spoke about bad practice, it seems the dev has changed existing assets which are not his own, and therefore this can mess up things on other routes relying on those assets.

9. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok, please do let me here or via inbox how exactly you managed to fix the issue with the 2D map not appearing when trying to create a QD scenario so I know what to do myself next time I come across this issue.

I already have AP Weather so I don't need to apply on this route as well, unless it reverted back to default Kuju Weather for some reason.

I don't know what the issue is with the assets, on one hand you have a .bin title with station signs names but then when you click and go inside the .xml file it's something completely different inside AND within the game when you select the assets. For instance: for Skilt_RepHonefoss (a station sign, 'skilt' means 'sign' in norwegian), I have this inside the .xml when I click on it:

<Blueprint>
    <cSceneryBlueprint>
    <Name d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</Name>
    <BrowseInformation>
    <iBrowseableBlueprint-cBrowseInformation>
    <DisplayName>
    <Localisation-cUserLocalisedString>
    <English d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</English>
    <French d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</French>
    <Italian d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</Italian>
    <German d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</German>
    <Spanish d:type="cDeltaString">NO sign HFS-744-REP_M</Spanish>
    <Other/>
    </Localisation-cUserLocalisedString>

So the sign appearing is not a station sign but rather some kind of milepost or speed sign for Honefoss. It's like that for all station signs. It's very confusing unless the station signs aren't really meant to be station signs to begin with but are just labeled as such, I don't know.

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I did not really "fix" the QD - it just worked. What happens when you press the map icon?

So, could you provide some textures for the signposts? Just normal .jpgs will do - I will turn them into new assets.

I'm not sure about the fonts used, though I do have the norwegian traffic sign font "Trafikkalfabetet" installed.

11. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

The 2D map (like in your first picture) doesn't appear and therefore I cannot select the required platforms where the QD ends.

12. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

When you say 'does not appear' do you mean there's no track or the map UI just doesn't appear at all? If it's the former, looking around will likely find the track. This is likely caused by weirdly placed scenario markers or route origin points.

13. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I mean the black screen with the white square appears but not the line representing the track. I know looking around will likely find the track but in this specific case, that didn't work and there is still no track even when I look around on the 2D map.

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Try this fix. I've updated the RouteProperties.xml and created a separate template route to rule out conflicts with existing SAD assets.

Attached Files:

15. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Yeah, it's still not working. The 2D map is not appearing when I create a QD scenario and go in the editor so I can't click on the platforms where I want the QD to end.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm at the point where I do not have an answer because all is working fine on my end...

17. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hmm I wonder what the issue is then because it's working for you and it's not working for me and another user I asked to help me with this.

18. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Perhaps there's a TemplateRoutes file that you have and that I don't have, that's the only other explanation I can think of.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

No. I've posted the files above.

Clear the game's cache and try again.

20. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I've already cleared the game's cache and it's still not working.

21. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok so one of my friends helped me out, his explanation is that he found the 2D map track layout in a corner after exploring. Problem solved!

22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Have you not read this? ;)

23. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I'm sorry, I totally missed it :o