Creating Switching Junctions When No Switches Are Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pasictarik10, Dec 2, 2020.

1. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue on a certain route. Basically there are no switching junctions that I can manually set up through the 3D map. As a result, when I drive a consist in Quick Drive mode, the train always go into the same siding by default. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to "create" a switching junction? If so, how is that done? Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Watch this

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A Quick Drive scenario starts somewhere and finishes somewhere else.
    The locations and Route are set up by the person making the Scenario
    Run it many times and the train will always take the same route.

If you change the points en route the train scenario won't work as the system expects to set the route.
    And if you make Auto points to Manual it will affect Every scenario on the route

IF you do a Free Roam you have Full control over every point on your route.

4. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

So there is no way to add switching junctions manually (if they do not exist) so that I can change where the train goes in a Quick Drive scenario? I don't want to change where the train goes while editing the scenario, I want to have the possiblity to use switching junctions when I'm already inside the QD scenario driving. What I don't understand on this specific route is that there are already switching junctions in some station sidings but on others there are none.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Ignore the fact it is called Quick Drive it is still a Scenario.
    And if you were to look in to the scenario file you would see the train has a very specific route
    Something like -
    Depart station A on Platform 1,
    Pass thru Junction on Up Line
    Pass Station B on Platform 6,
    Pass Station C on Platform 2
    and so on to the Destination
    The train will do the same route every time.
    If you were to change the route of the train as you drove and you went thru Platform 3 instead of 2 the scenario fails.

Why can you not drive in Free Roam?
    You can go in any direction over any line you want

6. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I don't have Free Roam scenarios for this route and I prefer Quick Drive scenarios in general. What's weird to me is that what you said would also apply if you're just going via a station with multiple tracks and switches (passing through) on your way to your final destination.

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Sorry I'd got the wrong end of the stick regarding your original question.
    If there's no free-roam scenarios that suit your purpose you could always learn how to make your own, it doesn't take that long to learn how and it's not the dark art it at first appears to be.
    There are a plethora of tutorials on YouTube to get you going.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is not the multiple tracks it's the train is only shown to use one of them.
    I started a Quick Drive from Kings Cross to Stevenage - then I stopped it and went in to the Timetable Editor
    QD KX STE slow.jpg Even though the train is Non Stop it still has a Route.
    If I were to change it when driving then the Scenario would fail as the train would be Off Route.

With Free Roam you do what you want and if you don't have one then Make One.
    Go in to Build > Scenarios and find the route you wish to add a Free Roam to
    I wanted a FR at Peterborough
    PBO FR.jpg
    On the bottom click New Scenario and in the box choose a location, Free Roam and give it a name then click Create.
    The Free Roam will start at where you have picked but there won't be any trains - you place on the track what you want to drive and make sure you place a Driver Icon on each one - other wise you can not drive it.