PC Crr F7 Gauge Labelled 'main Reservoir' Reads 0 With Automatic Brakes Released

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jonsutt1, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

With brakes applied, gauge reads correctly, but when released, it reads 0. This seems wrong to me.

What does red needle indicate and why isn't it labelled?

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is interesting! It seems, looking at the F7 manual (http://www.chartertoconductor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/EMD_F7_OM.pdf), that DTG have engaged in a bit of creative fiction here (like the engine start and stop buttons on the rear cab wall).

In real life, the left hand gauge is the main (red) and equalizing (white) reservoirs. DTG have modeled this correctly. The one in the middle should be the brake pipe (white) and brake cylinder (red) gauge- but DTG have moved that to the right-hand position. Instead, in the middle they give us a redundant gauge doubling the main reservoir readout from the left-hand gauge (white this time), except that weirdly, as you have noted, it goes to zero when brakes are released, together with a repeat of the brake cylinder needle (red) from the right-hand gauge. (The real-life gauge on the right, if installed, reported the application pipe and suppression pipe pressure, neither of which is modeled in-game).

My guess is that they decided it would look bad to have an empty hole on the right (even if real F7s were often just that way), or static needles representing functions the game engine doesn't model.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

Thanks. That sheds a bit more light on it. I wonder if Matt has anything to add.