Cruise Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FlyingPostman, Apr 13, 2021.

1. FlyingPostman

FlyingPostman New Member

Hi everyone,

It's a bit of personnal problem but when I look at all the routes we currently have in TS & TSW I can see a lot of german, UK & US routes. There are a lot of them. Personaly I think the games lack in diversity. And as a japanese trains lover I have a dream, that one day, the Odakyu Romance Cars (suggested here) will come back to TS. Or even better, make it to TSW... Just getting into the driver's cab of a 50000 series would make a perfect trip for TSW. (That's what I'm talking about)

And even if I talk about diversity, let's talk about cruise trains! So I would like to suggest some of these trains (and routes) that Japan has the receipe:

1: Type E001 "Shikishima"

[​IMG]

Probably the most well-known of its category, this train is a hybrid-powerd (EDC diesel + electric) "train suite" running on the JR East network. It features 10 cars constructed by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and J-TREC. Contructed in 2016, it entered service on 1st May 2017. Its departure station is located in Ueno ralway station, in the Tokyo prefecture. The trains offers diferents 2 days and 4 days journeys that varies as function of the seasons (the name "Shikishima" means "four seasons").

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2: 87 series "Twilight Express Mizukaze"

[​IMG]

This second train is a 10 cars DMU that entered service in June 2017. It is JR West's Shikishima's counterpart. It is the successor of the well-known 1989 Twilight Express. The train offers five routes in the Sanyo, Sanin and Keihanshin regions of western Japan. This beautiful train also features a sort of balcony at each ends to take fresh air on the move.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3: "Seven Stars in Kyushu"

[​IMG]

This one is a more traditional train made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries Rolling Stock in Kobe. The 7 cars are pulled by a DF200 diesel fret engine modified to suite the train's aesthetic. It entered service in 2013. It offers a 2 days and a 4 days circuit departing from the Hakata sation, in Fukuoka.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're looking for magnificent trains with astonishing interior, these 3 trains are the best exemple I know. But there are not the only ones. There's a lot of other interesting japanese sleeping/cruise trains like the Akebono, Hokutosei, Cassiopeia, Sunrise Express... And from other countries as well!

Japan is a country full of impressive train designs, and having one of them in TSW would bring a breath of diversity to the game. I believe that Cruise trains (or even sleeping trains) can bring a new gameplay (or at least a different point of view) to TSW.

Thanks for reading. I'm looking for your opinion.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Upvote from me. Anything Japanese would be good but I remember seeing details of those cruise trains a few years back and thinking the route/rolling stock would be ideal in one of the sims.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

I know you've already created this thread, but if you're interested to see your request included in the list of Japanese route suggestions (linked in my signature), you can create a thread for one of these cruise routes and I will add it there.
    Just thought I'd mention the list to another enthusiast of Japanese railways.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FlyingPostman

FlyingPostman New Member

Oh nice! I'm glad to see that there's a lot of japanese routes already suggested (I'm new to this forum).
    I'll watch for it. I need to gather more intel on the routes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

A good thing to note is that these trains are also chartered for journeys beyond their specific tour routes (but usually each train within their JR East/JR West/JR Central/etc jurisdiction) so they can believably can appear on many other routes since they do.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The first one can be bundled with Hokkaido Shinkansen because it needs Seikan Tunnel 33 miles 48 kms to cross between Hokkaido and Honshu. If Seikan Tunnel is added in game that tunnel will permit the Gotthard Base Tunnel and Channel tunnel routes added in game.

• Like Like x 1